PDA

View Full Version : Removing geometry and adding a subpatchable circle.

Samoht VII
03-05-2012, 07:02 PM
Ok attached is my work in progress of an xbox 360 Slim.
To my knowledge the best way to make the grills in the side was to bandsaw and extender so that's what i did. Is there any way to remove the extra gemeometry it created around the whole console? There is so much excess outlined it red that doesn't really need to exist.

Also i need to somehow create the 'on' button but can't find a way of creating a subpatchable ring. I tried this (http://www.pixelandpoly.com/video002.html) tutorial but it can't be subpatched.

Thanks

Silkrooster
03-05-2012, 11:25 PM
How to do this kinda depends on the version of lightwave you have. What I kinda like doing is using the edge selection and select the loop then hitting the remove button, but thats in the latter versions. Earlier version you could use the band glue tool. The latest version now has a loop dissolve tool.

If all else fails, you could select a bunch of polys and hit shift-z (merge polys)

As for the ring for your button on the object, remember that the object is subpatched, therefore a square poly would end up being a ring. Its resembles one much better of you add an edge that crosses the ring horizontally and vertically, you can then move the points on the 4 corners of the ring so they are inwards of the top, bottom and side points. Your ring should have a total of 8 points.
Once you get the ring to look somewhat like a circle using extender plus or and of the other tools for multiplying the mesh will generate a true circle inside of the one you just edited. I usually use extender plus with the stretch tool to move the new geometry inwards. But like I said any of the tools for adding geometry will work.

dwburman
03-06-2012, 06:41 PM
The face panel on an Xbox 360 slim is separate from the side panels. You could always just separate it and model it as a separate piece. That way you wouldn't have to worry about all the extra geometry wrapping around the front making it difficult to inset a circle.

JeffrySG
03-06-2012, 09:11 PM
Modeling as separate parts when possible is what I do in cases like this but if you can't or don't want to you could try to slide all of the geometry down so it's out of the way of the circle. You could leave a few of the loops up higher and use them to define the loops needed for the top and bottom of the circle indent as well.

Sometimes you can use some loop reduction techniques to get rid of geometry but you have so many in such a small area that I don't think it's the way to go.

I love 'swiftedgeloop' for my edge sliding in LW. Best plugin ever.

Waves of light
03-07-2012, 05:04 AM
There's also dtools for sliding edges and geo:

http://lightwave.mindnever.org/dtools/