PDA

View Full Version : question - LightWave dongle

renderwerx
03-05-2012, 06:52 PM
is it OK to keep the dongle plugged in the computer all the time?
I always unplug the dongle after I close the Hub, then shut down or reboot the computer.

really like to know this

because, even though got used to it, would prefer not having to unplug the dongle every time.

Dodgy
03-05-2012, 07:27 PM
It's probably better to leave it in, avoid sparks.... Though I've been transporting my dongle to and from work every day for years now and it's still fine. But yeah, if you don't have to remove it, don't remove it.

Dexter2999
03-05-2012, 11:09 PM
I left mine plugged into a port on a USB 2.0 PCI card inside my computer for about three years...just because I was paranoid about snapping it off.

MentalFish
03-13-2012, 06:46 AM
I added a little usb cord stub to mine, so the wear and tear is less when I disconnect it from my laptop. Today I forgot the dongle at home, so I am at work not being able to do any 3D work, and have to stick to programming ( and making gif anims :D ).

Rabbid forgot his dongle at work, so when he came home to doodle in LightWave he snapped:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1258056/LightWaveForum/RabbidLoosingIt.gif

shepherd
03-13-2012, 02:52 PM
About the only times you may need to remove the dongle are: changing systems (new machine, or using a laptop for example) and occasionally driver updates may ask for the dongle to be unplugged til after reboot.
Otherwise you should leave the dongle in place.