PDA

View Full Version : interior lighting help needed urgently

Kenshin_X_66
10-21-2003, 05:33 AM
Hi

ive got a scene in a room with no windows, lit by artificial lighting only, but i cant seem to get a good looking scene, and the fake radiosity lightdome doesnt really work like it does on open scenes

anyone know of any nice simple generic rigs that will help me out?

siproductions
10-21-2003, 08:56 AM
Kenshin_X_66,
Hi. I might be able to help you. Could you send a quick render so I can see the basic shape of the room? It would help me decide how to advise you to light it. Normally I would try to use area lights to simulate radiosity, however this will increase render times. If you have light sources inside the room try to add lighting there and use inverse distance. It makes a big difference. If you can send me the size of the room I might be able to make an Lscript for you that would set up a light rig. The easiest way would be to send me the basic mesh. However I am not asking you to do this. If you want to, great, but I don't want to act like I'm trying to steal your mesh. If you don't want to send the mesh, just send me the basic measurements and I will try to work from there. If you do send the mesh you may be sure that I will not use it for myself. If I did, all of LWG and Newtek would kill me. I wouldn't want to risk that happening.:D

Exception
10-21-2003, 09:17 AM
Yes, Inverse distance does wonders with lights...

Also, you might want to try to just turn on radiosity but with a tolerance setting of 0.9, a high number for the minimum ray eval spacing (50mm or 100mm...), and then turn on motion blur (you can set the blur length to 0% if you want, this is just to make LW seed the radiosity solution differently each AA pass) and turn off (if you had it on) cache radisoity solutions... you can even get 2 bounce renders like this looking pretty good since the blotches are in a different spot each pass, and therefore even out. You can use the shading noise reduction, if it suits. You can then control render time and quality almost in a linear fashin by selecting different AA settings.

I rendered animations like this. It results in slight flickering, which sucks... but somethimes making a lightrig costs more time than building the model, and sometimes its not worth it.

Kenshin_X_66
10-21-2003, 09:37 AM
siproductions

ive just sent you a pm mate, can you pm me your email and we'll get going

thanks a lot

siproductions
10-21-2003, 10:42 AM
I just sent it. thanks