PDA

View Full Version : image issues

Skinner3D
03-03-2012, 09:27 PM
I snitched a game model using a 3d ripper, but I am having trouble with the texture.
My program pulls the textures as .dds files which I can then convert to other formats. I converted it to a .png and there is some wacky transparency/alpha issues going on. Lightwave sees the texture just fine as long as I disable alpha, but if I try to open it in another program most of the image is blank and transparent. I need to create a normal black and white image for the alpha, but I can't see the image. Anybody know what to do?
I might be able to reconvert the .dds, but it would be useful to know what is going on.
I have attached what the image is supposed to look like, and the png that is whacked out.

Sensei
03-03-2012, 09:44 PM
In LW click File > Save RGBA > then pick up PNG 24 bit (so NO ALPHA), and write to disk.

Other idea- take screen-shot when viewer is showing it in LW.

dwburman
03-03-2012, 11:34 PM
My guess is that the artist used the Alpha channel to control specularity instead of transparency.

Skinner3D
03-04-2012, 06:52 AM
Sensai > the saving thing was what I was looking for. Thanks. :)

dwburman > Is that something that I could use in Lightwave? I suspect you are right and was planning on doing something similar manually.

Danner
03-04-2012, 07:51 AM
In lightwave you can use the color and alpha separately if you use nodes or make a clone of the image in the image editor and set one to alpha only and the other to alpha disabled.

Skinner3D
03-04-2012, 09:57 AM
I hadn't thought of using nodes. I did actually try creating the clone, but it wouldn't let me change the alpha state of the clone. I could only change the original and then it changed both.

Sensei
03-04-2012, 10:00 AM
Edit:
load texture to Image Editor, then make 2 instances. Then set 1st instance Alpha Channel to Disabled, 2nd instance to Alpha Only.
Add two 2D Textures > Image, pick up images only instances.
Plug 1st node Color to Color and 2nd node Color to Specular.

dwburman
03-04-2012, 11:27 AM
If you want to save the Only Alpha version, you can set your image to Alpha Only, double click on the image preview to open it up in the image viewer and then save it from the Image Viewer.

Otherwise, do what Sensei suggests and clone the image twice.

v1u1ant
09-03-2012, 06:00 PM
Im not understanding this .dds format, as i dont do games, but i have also like Skinner3D pulled a gaming model with just the .dds file for the head. There appears to be no UV file for the head and just the .dds file. As i cant load the .dds file into LW, im kinda stuck on what to do with it.

Sensei
09-03-2012, 06:10 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectDraw_Surface

Texture data..

Load it to some program that shows them, and save or take screen-shot..

v1u1ant
09-03-2012, 06:31 PM
Cheers Sensei, thats probably the bit that i didnt understand. just trying to find something to do that on mac..:/

v1u1ant
09-03-2012, 06:43 PM
Found a nice convertor for Mac without PS or Gimp plugins at:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/aorta/files/latest/download