PDA

View Full Version : Intuos 5!

akademus
03-03-2012, 11:45 AM
They just released it.

http://www.wacom.asia/au/intuos5

There is a touch version as well. Now I'd like to see cintiq touch. That'll be great in Zbrush.

SBowie
03-03-2012, 03:10 PM
Hmmm. I wonder if this could make me feel differently about Windows 8.

IMI
03-03-2012, 11:23 PM
I skipped the Intuos 4, and am still using my Intuos 3.
Looks like it's time to upgrade. :D

BigHache
03-03-2012, 11:27 PM
I skipped the Intuos 4, and am still using my Intuos 3.
Looks like it's time to upgrade. :D

Same. My Intuos 3 is running great still, and it was a floor model.

sculptactive
03-04-2012, 12:34 AM
Maybe I am missing something, but I cannot see a Intuos 5 CAD version?

IMI
03-04-2012, 05:45 AM
Same. My Intuos 3 is running great still, and it was a floor model.

Yeah, my Intuos 3 is till working great... when it's working.
I have some weird issues with it from time to time, mostly with Mudbox 2012, but occasionally with ZBrush 4 and Photoshop CS4 too, and even on the Windows 7 desktop.
It just doesn't want to work at all occasionally and sometimes just tapping the eraser end to the pad gets it going again, while other times I have to reinstall the driver.
I can't tell if it has a physical problem from age and use, or if it's a software driver or hardware conflict with something else, or what the deal is.
So I think it's time to upgrade.

biliousfrog
03-04-2012, 06:14 AM
Maybe I am missing something, but I cannot see a Intuos 5 CAD version?

The precision mouse can be purchased separately, not sure whether they are going to make a larger tablet though. I guess that the Intuos4 is plenty capable for the majority of CAD users, many are still using the early models.

03-04-2012, 07:12 AM
It's working so well!! :D

PS: I'm selling a Wacom Intuos 4m like new with original box for 200 euros + shipping!

sculptactive
03-04-2012, 07:32 AM
The precision mouse can be purchased separately

Hope they keep the same CAD Mouse style. It has always been my favourate mouse.

I have some weird issues with it from time to time

Ya. I finally gave up on my intuos CAD Edition. Too many driver issues running 7 so it might be time to look again.

sculptactive
03-04-2012, 07:38 AM
The precision mouse can be purchased separately, not sure whether they are going to make a larger tablet though.

They seem to have made it only for the Intuos5 touch L

http://www.wacom.asia/intuos5/wacom-lens-cursor

So I guess there will be no XL.

Hieron
03-04-2012, 08:19 AM
Looks really nice indeed, but wonder how many upgrade from Intuos 3 or 4.. that much better?My current Intuos 3's are still running well..

One of them did get a tune up though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs-vZkcxYc4

(alot of the diy is hobby, but since I use the tablet all day and it is on my desk all the time anyway, why not put a screen in it too)

Sarford
03-04-2012, 01:10 PM
I'm still using my Intuos 1 every day, still works like a charm. Got even a free color change over the years, from gray to yellow :D

IMI
03-04-2012, 03:41 PM
Ya. I finally gave up on my intuos CAD Edition. Too many driver issues running 7 so it might be time to look again.

My Intuos 3 had been working just fine. I had it when I was running Vista, and I've been using it ever since the Windows 7 beta program and since then with Win 7 Ultimate x64. It's only recently that I've had problems with it.
I would suspect it's getting beaten up too much since my desk is always cluttered and I'm always slamming it around, but the fact that I can jump start it sometimes by simply reinstalling the driver really makes me wonder what's up with it. I don't think I can blame Windows 7 though.

sculptactive
03-05-2012, 12:54 AM
From Wacoms site.

Intuos5 Touch Large + CAD Mouse $538.95

Intuos4 Extra Large Pen Tablet (including CAD Mouse) $789.00

Cannot see anyone who has 4 upgrading.

Rayek
03-05-2012, 01:39 AM
I'm still using my Intuos 1 every day, still works like a charm. Got even a free color change over the years, from gray to yellow :D

:D so true! I still have my Intuos 1 - its colour is the same as my first Amiga 1000. Very eighties ;-)

Had to repair the cable a year ago: the plastic/rubber sort of disintegrated. It's old.

Intuos v5 looks nice. Otherwise, I feel Wacom could have done so much more with the new version. Well, that's what you get with monopolies. Stifles innovation.

BigHache
03-05-2012, 11:36 AM
Oops I was wrong, I have an Intuos 2! I've used Intuos 4 and it's cool. The buttons on the pad got in my way a bit but I wasn't used to them. I do like the cordless capability and since I'm left-handed the option to flip the pad to use the buttons is very nice, sexy time.

My only concern with this new 5 is if I'm now to use both hands on the pad, does that mean I can do things like scroll/pan? I don't want to keep moving my hand back to the keyboard and have to look where my hand goes. I want to keep looking at the sceen.

Philbert
03-05-2012, 03:26 PM
I used an Intuos 1 through college and for years after until they stopped making drivers for it in 2007 and I had to upgrade, still using that Intuos 3 now. For my Laptop I still have my trusty Graphire 3 though that still works great.

I think the touch aspect of I5 will be perfect for Windows 8.

Greenlaw
03-05-2012, 07:01 PM
It looks cool.

I have a Cintiq WX12 at home which has been very useful (no touch though.) I use it mainly for 3D Coat, Photoshop, and Manga Studio EX, and as a second display for video editing. My only complaint is that I wish I got the bigger model.

FYI, HP featured the Wacom touch+pen technology in the tm2 Tablet PC a couple of years ago, and I have one of these too. I use this tablet all the time for 2D and 3D work and it's pretty neat. In fact, I draw all my comics on this tablet and created most of 'Happy Box' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy3hSz7_zb8&list=PL3F245BC14441C8E7&feature=plcp) on it running Lightwave and Motion Builder. Anyway, as far as touch+pen goes, when I'm painting in ArtRage Studio Pro I can use a Wacom stylus in my right hand to paint with and use the fingers of my left hand to pan, scale and rotate directly on the screen, just like on the new Cintiq. To be honest, I haven't found this feature to be quite as 'handy' as it sounds but it's a lot of fun to show off when I want to impress people.

The addition of touch sensitivity is probably not enough to get me to get me to replace my current Cintiq for but I really had to think hard about this. Well...maybe if it was the big one. :)

G.

Greenlaw
03-05-2012, 07:07 PM
Oh, wait...I totally misunderstood what we're discussing here...we're talking about a new Intuos and not Cintiq aren't we. Duh! :o

Anyway, I guess a new 'touch sensitive' Cintiq can't far behind since I essentially have that in my tm2 now.