PDA

View Full Version : LW11 Surfs to Parts

VermilionCat
03-02-2012, 11:07 PM
Hi,
I used to Surfs to Parts command to categorize into the polygroup in Zbrush.
Now LW11 doesn't seem to export them into Zbrush.
Can anyone confirm this? Is there any alternative way to do this? Other than making parts manually?

SaturnX
04-08-2012, 02:44 PM
Hi,
I used to Surfs to Parts command to categorize into the polygroup in Zbrush.
Now LW11 doesn't seem to export them into Zbrush.
Can anyone confirm this? Is there any alternative way to do this? Other than making parts manually?

Just today, I've been having issues making zbrush see parts (polygroups) via objs exported from LW11. Did you ever find a work around for it ?

lertola2
04-08-2012, 10:10 PM
You are correct. Lightwave 11 does not seem to have the option to write parts into .obj files as lightwave 9.6 did. I did a little investigating by exporting a cube with two parts from lw9.6 and lw11. In a text editor you can see where the groups are listed in the 9.6 file. I tried several combinations of the .obj options in lightwave 11 to see if some would produce the groups in the output file but I could not find any combination of settings that worked. Oddly the 9.6 export is mistakenly creating 3 groups when there are only two in the .lwo file. I just filled out a bug report for this.

https://fogbugz.newtek.com/default.asp?45688_r487bf07

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=103332&stc=1&d=1333943846

SaturnX
04-09-2012, 03:02 AM
Thanks for that, good info.
Hopefully SP1 isnt too far away. A hotfix patch might be good at this point.

lertola2
07-10-2012, 06:58 AM
I found out a workaround for getting polygroups from Lightwave into Zbrush. Instead of creating parts in Lightwave just cut each group of polygons and paste it back into the object so that it is disconnected from the rest of the mesh. Then either export it from Lightwave as an .obj file or (slightly eazier) goz it to Zbrush and export as .obj from there. Then in Zbrush go to the bottom of the tools pallet and open the Import options. Give the Weld slider some value. If this slider is at zero then points will not merge but any other value should work. Then import the .obj file. Zbrush gives each isolated group of polygons its own polygroup color and it will weld the cut points together. From reading the Zbrush docs it seems like the Mrg button is also supposed to make points merge on import. But that did not work for me. One thing to note is that the Zbrush import pannel is not available if you do not have a polymesh 3d object already selected. So you must have a polymesh object in edit mode already drawn on the canvas before you import and that object will be replaced by the imported .obj file.

-Joe

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=105458&stc=1&d=1341923978

Asciicodeplus
07-11-2012, 10:39 AM
The PDF says the OBJ issue is fixed but is not, the same grouping/part/surface issue remains, I wish they'd go back to the way 10.1 used to handle OBJs, there was nothing wrong with it :-/

lertola2
07-11-2012, 10:22 PM
The PDF says the OBJ issue is fixed but is not, the same grouping/part/surface issue remains, I wish they'd go back to the way 10.1 used to handle OBJs, there was nothing wrong with it :-/

Very true. I put in a bug report on this in April and it is still open so I hope that means that they are going to fix it.

lertola2
07-26-2012, 10:07 PM
I just downloaded zbrush 4r4. There is a new WeldPoints feature at the bottom of the Tools - Geometry tab. I think this makes the loss of of exporting Lightwave parts as zbrush polygroups a non issue. In zbrush disconnected parts can be autogrouped and then the points can be welded back together with the WeldPoints button.

VermilionCat
07-27-2012, 03:04 AM
But you still have to cut and paste surfaces, don't you?
The command was great since it all does in one go.
If there are a lot of surfaces it's way too tedious.

Julez4001
08-09-2012, 05:41 AM
Yep. This sucks.
I assign Atlas UV to each part I had and that started the Polygroup->UV Groups but it seems Zbrush only sees 2 uv maps (out of the 4).

Very strange.

gordonrobb
08-10-2012, 01:25 AM
Can someone point me in the direction for how to use surf to parts. I can't get it to work the way think it should. I expect it to automatically turn each surface into a several part, but what it es is ask me to name a prt and make all visible ploys that part.

SaleVonGeist
08-17-2012, 06:03 AM
Somehow I managed to get polygroups in ZBrush from different LW surfaces only (even without enabling "import mat as polygroups" in ZBrush ImportExport preferances).
Just surface your object as you would like to have your polygroups, export as OBJ and import in ZBrush. When you turn polyframe view sometimes the colors are very similar, so it's hard to see different polygroups, but if you CTRL-Shift click on them, you'll see polygroups hide/unhide as they should.

Tested it on LW 11.0.1 and ZBrush 4R4...hope it helps.

VermilionCat
08-17-2012, 06:38 AM
Confirmed!
SaleVonGeist is right. It's working that way. Thanks!

SaleVonGeist
08-17-2012, 08:55 AM
Confirmed!
SaleVonGeist is right. It's working that way. Thanks!

Np, I'm glad it helped! :)