PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 11: Any point in buying a 3072mb GPU?

sculptactive
03-01-2012, 10:40 PM
I am about to upgrade my GPU.
I do not care about games etc just LW11 performance.

Where LW11 and OpenGL are concerned is it was a waist of money getting anything more than a 1536MB card or will I see a difference using a 3072mb card.

No point in waisting money.....

Dexter2999
03-01-2012, 10:51 PM
I could be off base but I believe that the big card will benefit you with your OpenGL redrawing with crazy poly counts.

If you aren't doing these huge scenes, or if you aren't using OpenGL (seems more and more people are trying to use VPR as much as they can...who can blame them?) then the card may not give you the best "bang for the buck" on your investment.

dulo
03-02-2012, 02:13 AM
For lightwave 11 this GPU would be completely pointless. For Fusion or Houdini or even CS5.5 and Blender it would make sense because they could use the ram for openCL/Cuda computation. Especially Houdini 12 profits from massive amounts of GPU Ram ..

biliousfrog
03-02-2012, 03:16 AM
The ram size of the card will only affect the amount/size of textures displayed on screen afaik.

dulo
03-02-2012, 04:30 AM
On a sidenote: if you own Turbulence (or plan to get it, it's awesome btw), the more ram the GPU has, the longer it will be possible to simulate on it. Once the GPU RAM is exhausted simulation will automatically fall back to the CPU. At least that's how I was told it should work. Just for your consideration.
You are right .. i totally forgot turbulenceFD .. the new versions support gpu rendering..

sculptactive
03-02-2012, 11:16 AM
Thanks for all the comments.
In the past I always bought an average card as where LW is concerned it was a waste of money getting the best.

This time around it seems no different.