PDA

View Full Version : Particles - Instancing - Bullet Dynamics

tcoursey
03-01-2012, 02:13 PM
Is there a way to have a particle generator spit out particles, having the particles change/rendered with an object instance, and have bullet dynamics calculated on them?

nomad108
03-01-2012, 02:27 PM
From my playing around, bullet doesn't work on one or two point polys, so your particle generator would not work with bullet. Also, bullet won't work on instanced objects. At best, you might be able to get your whole set to move with the original, but not if they are generated from particles.

Someone please tell me I'm wrong! I was trying to do something very similar.

tcoursey
03-01-2012, 02:30 PM
so let's say I have 62,000 somethings, I need falling from the sky and then hitting the ground interacting with themselves. We'll say they were tires. wink..wink.

Does this mean I need to setup the object in modeler and then use PARTS to animate the bullet part?

I see how it would be hard/limiting/not doable, with the instancing and particles, but sounded like a real quick way to simulate what I was trying to achieve.

nomad108
03-02-2012, 02:39 AM
Either that or cloning, I think. Either way, it'll take a lot of memory!

rdolishny
10-26-2013, 10:48 AM
Is there a way to have a particle generator spit out particles, having the particles change/rendered with an object instance, and have bullet dynamics calculated on them?

I'm trying to do the same thing here. Any thoughts with the new Instancing Particles in 11.5?

Thomas Leitner
10-27-2013, 02:29 AM
Hi,
I donīt see the reason for using particles in your setup. If you want objects fall down use objects and bullet. If you want to use particles with instances (for faster, but less accurate collision) you donīt need bullet dynamics. If you use the particle generator only for placing your objects in the scene you can use the python script for "baking" instances to real geometry and use bullet with this.

so let's say I have 62,000 somethings, I need falling from the sky and then hitting the ground interacting with themselves. We'll say they were tires. wink..wink.

Does this mean I need to setup the object in modeler and then use PARTS to animate the bullet part?

I see how it would be hard/limiting/not doable, with the instancing and particles, but sounded like a real quick way to simulate what I was trying to achieve.

As mentioned before you have two options: particles or a "real" geometry with bullet.
btw.: particles can interacting with themselves (limited to a spherical collision shape).

ciao
Thomas