PDA

View Full Version : Advert: Mechanical Displays in LightWave 11 Tutorial Coming Soon

dwburman
03-01-2012, 12:42 PM
Hi guys, I just wanted to announce my latest tutorial project: Mechanical Displays in LightWave 11

This is a project based tutorial that takes you all the way from modeling to animating and switching the cameras. This is a LightWave 11 specific video that uses some of LightWave 11's new features such as instancing, but the techniques should also work in older versions of LightWave if you have DP_Instance installed.

In this course I cover, modeling, lighting, surfacing using the Wood2 procedural, and varying surface attributes on instances.

This is a pretty quick overview of several areas and I don't go into depth about any specific tools.

JeffrySG
03-01-2012, 01:39 PM
That looks very cool, Dana!

biliousfrog
03-01-2012, 02:36 PM
oh wow, that does look fun

dwburman
03-01-2012, 03:55 PM
Here's the final render with a little AE post processing: http://youtu.be/oa-BDieJvik

It IS a fun project. LightWave 11 makes it a really fast and easy project too. In fact, the total running time of the videos which shows the entire set up procedure starting from nothing (not counting the image sequence which I will provide) is less than 2.5 hours. That includes a short intro and showing how to apply the image map to the instance rotations both in the Texture Editor and in the Node Editor. I actually included the modeling, texturing and the camera selector master plugin just to make sure there was enough content to justify selling the tutorial. The instancing set is just so simple.

This thing is very close to done. I only have one little bit to record to show something that I learned after recording the videos.

dwburman
03-03-2012, 12:03 AM
I am happy to announce that Mechanical Displays in LightWave 11 is now available for purchase for only $14.99. :)

Normally, I'd sell this for around $20, but 1. there were some UI glitches caused by the screen capture program, 2. This is offers a quick over view of a lot of areas and therefore isn't as in-depth as some of my other tutorials, 3. "Trial Mode" is plastered all over the UI background, and 4. I'd like people to buy this so I can upgrade to LW11 sooner rather than later. I only have 16 days left to enjoy the LW11 goodness. :)

http://www.liberty3d.com/citizens/d-w-burman/danas-videos/mechanical-displays-in-lightwave-11/

leroy3rd
03-03-2012, 02:01 AM
Just purchased it, can't wait to get started. :-D

-LeRoy3rd

khan973
03-03-2012, 03:10 PM
Great Just bought it!
I've seen this afternoon an advertising with a car and a screen like this made of pistons. Their move IN and out was making the different shades.

dwburman
03-03-2012, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the purchases, guys! Let me know if you need any help. You can ask me here or on the forums at Liberty3d.com.

I got the idea for this from a wooden mirror by a guy named Daniel Rozin one of which was featured in Wired Magazine. He's made similar "mirrors" from trash, loops of paper, and other materials.

If your display needs a little extra help in showing the image, you could always add a little bit of the color/brightness to the surface. If you're doing a pin-type animation, you could add a gradient that is darker at the base and brighter at the tip for the pin to move through.

http://www.smoothware.com/danny/index.html

chco2
03-03-2012, 05:55 PM
If you use instance and want to create a pin variant, you can use the image that is used for animating also as the colormap for the instances.
Something likes this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZHHd5TuJXM

50one
03-05-2012, 03:51 AM
Looking great! I've just seen similar technique used in an Audi ad / but they have used pistons for that - so you got quite good timing with that tut:):thumbsup:

nomad108
03-05-2012, 04:45 AM
Got it! Thanks much! Can't wait to get into this. :thumbsup:

dwburman
03-05-2012, 04:53 PM
Yeah, that Audi ad is pretty nice. Chco2 sent me the link to it after I released the tutorial.

Thanks for the purchase, nomad. :)

chco2
03-05-2012, 05:04 PM
As for the audi add.. If i had some more RAMemory (now at 4Gb) it could been made with morphs pretty nicely.
That said, new system with 32 Gb should arrive end of the week, perhaps I'll have a go at it ;)
Excellent job btw Dana!

nomad108
03-10-2012, 07:52 PM
Thought I'd show a scene I made using techniques learned from this video. I didn't spend much time on the textures I used because I was only checking to see if I could do what I wanted to, so it could look better. It's the flexibility of the instance controls that I was interested in. Hit play to see the animation. Use VPR to see the color map.

*edit* This whole thing may not be very interesting to the pros here, but I have limited experience and am just trying to learn new things. Is there any other way to move an object (as opposed to an instance) using nodes? I can think of many ways to use that ability if it exists.

dwburman
03-10-2012, 11:01 PM
Good job adapting and repurposing the instructions. Thank you for sharing!

You can use DP_Kit's Part Move to move parts of an object independantly using nodes.

You can animate your displacements on a simple mesh and then use HardLink (or MetaLink for soft deformations) to connect your high res object. (you may need to mdd scan the animation first)

A third option is to just use a displacement to move the parts of your mesh. You need to do a little extra work to make sure the pieces move as a solid object instead of a bendy object. Proton's Pin Toy tutorial is a good place to start for that. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzjXwyRgeCQ