PDA

View Full Version : THE LIVING CORPSE: Animated Feature: Trailer is Posted

rapscallion
03-01-2012, 11:57 AM
Hello again,

Just thought some of you might like to see the trailer that was posted by Shoreline for our nearly completed THE LIVING CORPSE animated feature.

Of course, it was created and rendered entirely with LIGHTWAVE. We're still repairing some issues here and there, especially flickering textures that have been plaguing the film from very early on in the rendering process - you'll even spot one or two of those flicker instances in the trailer. But we're very close to wrapping post-production.

Have a look:

http://www.shorelineentertainment.com/movies/Corpse.html

shrox
03-01-2012, 12:04 PM
Looks great! Can you tell us about your flickering fix?

Soth
03-01-2012, 12:05 PM
Great video, do you plan the release date?

biliousfrog
03-01-2012, 12:06 PM
The video sticks at 1:27 for me :(

Looking good though Justin

rapscallion
03-01-2012, 12:11 PM
Looks great! Can you tell us about your flickering fix?

The flickering issues are an unfortunate, yet well-documented, side effect from dealing with multiple UV maps in a 9.3.1 rendering environment. For various reasons, we started and ended up stuck with 9.3.1 for the majority of the project.

Now that we are near the end, I'm mdd scanning all the moving elements from any shot that has flickering and then re-rendering in 9.6 (our rigs are not 9.6 compatible). So you see, the 'issue' actually has nothing to do with the way things are textured, but with a specific limitation/bug with the 9.3.1 render engine which was apparently fixed during either 9.5 or 9.6 release cycle, because we don't get any of those flickers when rendering 9.6.

We wasted ALOT of time re-texturing characters over and over and over trying to figure out the source of the flicker - and only then did I stumble onto some of the many posts discussing this problem unique to the 9.3 cycle of Lightwave. Annoying, yes, but at least there was a solution ;)

rapscallion
03-01-2012, 12:12 PM
Great video, do you plan the release date?

Thanks! Not sure yet. We're hoping for possible Halloween time this year?!?

shrox
03-01-2012, 12:13 PM
The flickering issues are an unfortunate, yet well-documented, side effect from dealing with multiple UV maps in a 9.3.1 rendering environment. For various reasons, we started and ended up stuck with 9.3.1 for the majority of the project.

Now that we are near the end, I'm mdd scanning all the moving elements from any shot that has flickering and then re-rendering in 9.6 (our rigs are not 9.6 compatible). So you see, the 'issue' actually has nothing to do with the way things are textured, but with a specific limitation/bug with the 9.3.1 render engine which was apparently fixed during either 9.5 or 9.6 release cycle, because we don't get any of those flickers when rendering 9.6.

We wasted ALOT of time re-texturing characters over and over and over trying to figure out the source of the flicker - and only then did I stumble onto some of the many posts discussing this problem unique to the 9.3 cycle of Lightwave. Annoying, yes, but at least there was a solution ;)

Oh man. If I had been able to work on it, I would have assumed only I was having the problem!

rapscallion
03-01-2012, 12:14 PM
The video sticks at 1:27 for me :(

Looking good though Justin

Thanks, Steve. Can't seem to recreate that playback error here, though. Maybe try refreshing your browser?

biliousfrog
03-01-2012, 12:16 PM
Thanks, Steve. Can't seem to recreate that playback error here, though. Maybe try refreshing your browser?

Yep, got it working eventually...I can only assume that the server was swamped with people form the forums :D

rapscallion
03-01-2012, 01:11 PM
Oh man. If I had been able to work on it, I would have assumed only I was having the problem!

Yeah, we had alot of that going on. Those errors are relatively 'random' and don't recur on the same frames every time, so there was alot of arguing going on between the texturing folks and the render wranglers. The good ol' blame game :P hehe...

Yep, got it working eventually...I can only assume that the server was swamped with people form the forums :D

Cool! Thanks again for all your hard work ;)

RebelHill
03-01-2012, 01:16 PM
yeps... looking good. Be ggod to see when u finally reach final.

rapscallion
03-01-2012, 01:17 PM
yeps... looking good. Be ggod to see when u finally reach final.

Literally down to the last few days. Just fixing the last few flickers and polishing up a few of the comps - then it should be good to go. Thanks again, Craig :thumbsup:

Titus
03-01-2012, 02:24 PM
Yes, the curse of the living rendered textures. I've been there.

Congrats for achieving your goal.

rapscallion
03-02-2012, 07:56 AM
Congrats for achieving your goal.

Thanks! It's been a long 5 years and we had help from many people here on the forum.