PDA

View Full Version : LW11 "License Key not found" Hell

bobakabob
03-01-2012, 07:38 AM
Sorry, this is one of these desperate "Discovery Mode" failed LW installation posts. I've searched the forum in depth, read the Guide, but need more advice as I have an urgent job and cannot for the life of me get LW11 to read the License Key on my Win7 machine (LW10.1 and 9.6 installed fine). I've received some very prompt advice from Newtek support, and help from Wrench and theDave in the LW11/Core Forum but realised more people are likely to visit this Forum.

Some questions before I start tinkering again:

1. If I decide to uninstall LW 11 for a reinstall in a dedicated folder in C Drive outside of the Programs folder, will this affect the Sentinel Drivers? And will that risk messing up earlier versions of Lightwave - 10.1 and 9.6? I'm in real trouble if that happens.
Does anyone have the precise link for Sentinel updates if need be? I have a purple plastic dongle and remember looking through a maze of links years ago.

2. Newtek support have suggested switching off UAC. I didn't have to do this for LW10.1 or 9.6 so it seems odd that it needs doing now. However, I gather I should do this before adding the License Key in the facility created by LW Help? In Win7 I take it I just lower the Win7 UAC bar control, press OK then reboot?

I did try this earlier and the Key was written as usual into C: Users/MyName/.Newtek/Lightwave/license (there are no probs about the Key being "successfully installed" here) but LW still didn't recognise the key after firing up.

Should I then close LW and proceed to copy and paste the key into the Bin Folder of LW11? At what point in this procedure should I switch UAC back on?

3. I'm no expert on Win 7 Firewall - could somebody guide me about how to successfully take off restrictions on Programs? Not convinced I'm doing this right. I also have Avast Antivirus... could someone advise how I should successfully reconfigure / disable this when installing LW?

Any feedback gratefully received!

Bob

3DGFXStudios
03-01-2012, 07:58 AM
Are you sure you are using your license key and not your serial? Maybe you mistyped you dongle id during registration?

vector
03-01-2012, 08:20 AM
At work I have a lw 8.5 version dongle (Lw is 9.6.1 now) and at home a 9.6 dongle. I installed the trial, registered it at Newtek.com -> My account as "Lightwave trial" an I got a trial serial number

I put out the dongle, install Lw11. Then I entered the trial serial, restart Lw 11 always WITHOUT DONGLE attached. If I have my dongle attached Lw 11 doesn´t recognize my serial. That happens with both dongles I said before

Vector

EDIT: I installed a trial in a xp windows pc and other in a Windows 7 pc

Elmar Moelzer
03-01-2012, 09:13 PM
Try putting the license.key file into the folder called "bin" in your installation directory (e.g. c:\programs\lightwave\bin\)
You might need administrator rights for that.
Alternatively, copy the LightWave installation from the current location to a location where you have write permission. Make a shortcut to Layout.exe and Modeler.exe in the bin folder, then copy the license.key file into the bin folder there.
Hope that helps.

bobakabob
03-05-2012, 09:02 AM
Many thanks to everyone who spent time offering advice. The generous folk on the forum combined with very helpful Newtek staff pinpointed the problem down to... basic human error :bangwall: I discovered I'd made a typo when inputting the 5 digit ID lock at registration! 3DGFX Studios, you must be psychic. This generated a key which wouldn't work with the bleedin' dongle. The message "Licence key not found" seemed to indicate it was a software / hardware problem but that wasn't the case at all. Sorry guys, very much my bad...

For the benefit of anyone else who runs into probs trapped in Discovery Mode here's a summary of Newtek and forum advice if you run into this doing a search. Wrench sent very helpful advice about the License, added below...

* Check you send Newtek the right 5 digit ID Lock if you have multiple copies of LW!
* Win 7 users disable UAC to be on the safe side. Reboot machine.
* Take dongle out of machine before the install.
* Win 7 & Vista users - Install LW in a dedicated folder on C Drive not the default Programs folder.
* Install the software + Sentinel software drivers then add dongle to USB port when it's done.
* Check LW is free of any interception from your Firewall and Antivirus.
* Add the key into the box from Help - some suggest typing it in which I didn't need to. Then Quit Lightwave then open again.
* If you do manually type the key into the Lic file (which you will find in C drive Users -> MyName -> Newtek ->License), just make sure it doesn't save as a Notepad file. If it does, delete and generate a new one from the Help box.

Wrench kindly sent me this advice about where else you can store the License file in case LW can'taccess the Users folder due to the UAC issue - just avoid having multiple copies.

"Here are all the locations that a license.key can possibly be on a Windows computer for LightWave 11:

<user>\NewTek\LightWave\11.0\license
C:\ProgramData\\NewTek\LightWave\11.0\license
<LightWave install path>\bin\licenses
<LightWave install path>\bin

That's the order in which they are searched as well. Any other locations are not valid, so check in all those places and make sure that the files (if any) in them are all using the same license.key number."

Again thanks everyone,

Bob

THREEL
03-07-2012, 09:17 PM
I have a similar issue with LW v. 8.3. I'm putting it on a laptop, temporarily, because my desktop crashed. I don't want to register it, because it already is. The laptop, like the desktop, runs Windows XP Pro. I manually changed the license.key file through Wordpad, but when I go into LW, with the dongle attached, I get the license.key file not found as well. I don't see a bin folder in my LW files. What is the protocol for my case? Thanks! BTW~I want to upgrade to 8.5, but thought I should wait, until LW sees the license.key file.

3DGFXStudios
03-08-2012, 03:41 AM
Many thanks to everyone who spent time offering advice. The generous folk on the forum combined with very helpful Newtek staff pinpointed the problem down to... basic human error :bangwall: I discovered I'd made a typo when inputting the 5 digit ID lock at registration! 3DGFX Studios, you must be psychic. This generated a key which wouldn't work with the bleedin' dongle. The message "Licence key not found" seemed to indicate it was a software / hardware problem but that wasn't the case at all. Sorry guys, very much my bad...

For the benefit of anyone else who runs into probs trapped in Discovery Mode here's a summary of Newtek and forum advice if you run into this doing a search. Wrench sent very helpful advice about the License, added below...

* Check you send Newtek the right 5 digit ID Lock if you have multiple copies of LW!
* Win 7 users disable UAC to be on the safe side. Reboot machine.
* Take dongle out of machine before the install.
* Win 7 & Vista users - Install LW in a dedicated folder on C Drive not the default Programs folder.
* Install the software + Sentinel software drivers then add dongle to USB port when it's done.
* Check LW is free of any interception from your Firewall and Antivirus.
* Add the key into the box from Help - some suggest typing it in which I didn't need to. Then Quit Lightwave then open again.
* If you do manually type the key into the Lic file (which you will find in C drive Users -> MyName -> Newtek ->License), just make sure it doesn't save as a Notepad file. If it does, delete and generate a new one from the Help box.

Wrench kindly sent me this advice about where else you can store the License file in case LW can'taccess the Users folder due to the UAC issue - just avoid having multiple copies.

"Here are all the locations that a license.key can possibly be on a Windows computer for LightWave 11:

<user>\NewTek\LightWave\11.0\license
C:\ProgramData\\NewTek\LightWave\11.0\license
<LightWave install path>\bin\licenses
<LightWave install path>\bin

That's the order in which they are searched as well. Any other locations are not valid, so check in all those places and make sure that the files (if any) in them are all using the same license.key number."

Again thanks everyone,

Bob

Haha maybe I am ;);D Good to hear you found the issue :D

Wrap
12-05-2012, 05:38 AM
I had an issue with my lightwave 11 license key too and found that if I right clicked on the license.key file downloaded from the Lightwave registration site I got a message "this file is from another computer and has been blocked" I simply unblocked the file and dragged it to the splash screen in LW11 it worked.