PDA

View Full Version : Connecting a ring.

Samoht VII
03-01-2012, 04:36 AM
Ok i need help in going about fixing my model.
Say I have a cylinder on it's end. the cylinder has 12 points on the bottom and top and I select the bottom part of the cylinder and delete that poly. I hope you're still with me.
I want to be able to TAB it (forgot what it's called to make it smooth) so it has a nice curved bottom, instead of saying' only smoothing 3-4 point polys.'

Basically how would you close a cylinder so you can smooth it with TAB?

Hope i explained it well enough :S

Thanks

prometheus
03-01-2012, 05:32 AM
TAB is the shortcut for turning your geometry in to subpatches.

Have no real clue to what your trying to do really, do you have an image or what kind of object are you trying to model, and what do you mean connecting a ring?

you are removing bottom of the cylinder ? and keeping the top of the cylinder?
Dont get what you want to do here?

Michael

prometheus
03-01-2012, 05:40 AM
hmm..

If you select the polys of the top of your cylinder, bevel it with inset only maybe two or three times so the bevel inset almost joins to a single middle point, select those inner ring points and weld those points, then select that middle point and use fix pole to get a good smooth end.

Michael

prometheus
03-01-2012, 05:47 AM
You might end up with a single vertex without connection after this, hit w for point statistics and select the single vertex and just delete it..otherwise you will get error message when subpatching with tab.

Michael

RudySchneider
03-01-2012, 01:40 PM
I't's not altogether clear what you're after, either, but here's something I threw together, which may help clarify what you're after. It should be obvious that standard sup-patch subdivision may require a bit more work than Catmull-Clark subdivision. But you also need to be aware that Catmull-Clark also has its id1osyncracies.

JeffrySG
03-01-2012, 01:43 PM
http://www.lwplugindb.com/Plugin.aspx?id=fed182e8

This is a great script for turning ngons into tris/quads automatically. I use it all the time on cylinder ends.

You might want to have a look at some of my free video tutorials to get some other SubD tips as well. Just scroll down to the free area. http://www.pixelandpoly.com/video.html

Samoht VII
03-01-2012, 05:13 PM
Ok attached is my keyboard and on the under side have a ring of points that don't connect to form a base.
How would you guys go about filling this in so i can sub patch.
btw i'm not amazing at LW by any means so jargon like "Catmull-Clark" goes right over my head :S

THanks

prometheus
03-02-2012, 02:06 AM
Ok attached is my keyboard and on the under side have a ring of points that don't connect to form a base.
How would you guys go about filling this in so i can sub patch.
btw i'm not amazing at LW by any means so jargon like "Catmull-Clark" goes right over my head :S

THanks

Do not see the specified ring of points in your image, if you can, load the image in paint or photoshop and mark your problem area with a ring or something.

And when you take a screenshot regarding modeling issues, you might think about setting your display mode to wireframe so we all can see quads etc and how things are connected.

I can only suspect you mean the outer frame or something, you might want to have that seperated, but make sure everthing in that geometry consist of quads(four point polys) only.
In real life tangent boards, the tangents are seperated from the outer shell as well.

catmull clark is the other type of subpatch mode wich means you can have more than 4 points polys, it is slower and often yields unwanted creases, you can find it beneath the standard subpatch mode in the drop down meny at the bottom of modeler, where it says SubD-Type.

A new screenshot with wireframe, and draw a mark over the specific area you have problems with and we are almost there.

Cheers

Michael

XswampyX
03-02-2012, 07:31 AM
Try :-

Select one point on your ring... any point.
Select another point next to the original point selected.
You now have two points selected.
Press the right arrow cursor key.
Press p
Use the cm_polydivide plugin to turn your mesh into quads.

Any good?

Samoht VII
03-02-2012, 07:11 PM
So use those points to fill in that area

twine
03-03-2012, 06:46 AM
Hi Samoht. Looking at your model, is the bottom of the keyboard ever going to be seen in your finished renders? If not then I suggest leaving it blank.
The fundamental issue here is how you decide to begin a model so you don't leave yourself in this situation next time. For example you could start off with a simple box, and bandsaw enough polygons in the box to allow you to model the keyboard in enough detail. once finished you would have the base already there.

prometheus
03-04-2012, 07:52 AM
Dont think you should try and make that one piece, how does it look like in the real world? I bet the keybord bottom consists of two pieces.

start modeling our a flat bottom and try to follow the contures of the frame and points you are refering too, but model it with quads, start with a simple box and subdivide it a couple of times so you got enough divisions to form the edge shape to match the keybord frame that you would like to enclose.

other wise you would have to extend those edge loop points and scale them inwards, extend again and scale and finally weld them together with a not soo good topology.

if you decide to model in seperate pieces, you might want to add an extra loop (or more)on the edges of those points you are refering too, that way the shape will stay true to what you want when you subpatch it.

Michael