PDA

View Full Version : Hard Edges

Tom Wood
10-20-2003, 07:17 PM
I made an animated logo in MIRAGE and exported it to D1 NTSC. I took it into VTedit and added it to a JPG still to test location. See attached image. In Control Tree, I can adjust soft edges to any setting and they have no effect on that right edge. Is it MIRAGE or TED?

TW

bradl
10-21-2003, 12:08 AM
You mentioned 'right' edge but I see no soft anywhere? As fas as soft edges I don't know if you are aware but it is a limited feature. The soft edges start at the entire 4 X 3 image and progressively soften towards the center as you rasie the value. In other words you can not soften cutout images around their outlines or intricate 'overlay' images, just a overall softening from the full screens edges.

You can adjust the amount of softening indendently for each side (T, B, R, L,) with the Control Tree or key combination in Positioner (Shift drag Soft, or Cntl drag Soft, or something like that).

For softening of logo edges you must use other program like Aura, Mirage, DFX, etc.

Tom Wood
10-21-2003, 05:08 AM
Oops, sorry, I meant that right edge around the little logo at the bottom left corner, the other hard eges are intentional. Yeah, I'll work on it in Mirage/Aura. It seemed to work in TED for so many other images I've tried, this -one- won't do it, but it's probably the way it's masked.

TW

bradl
10-25-2003, 05:55 PM
I see now. If that animation was created full screen (FS), 'soft edges' should be able to remove the hard edges in VTEdit. The only trouble I see is it might take a large soft value to make the edges like good which may then soften the final logo image too much. Having the edges change over time in the control tree may make it work.

FS logo effects have always been a pain to squeeze down and use as a small logo or bug. Especially in 3D work. They reveal hard edges every time. In the past I have often made two logo passes, one for the big FS effect then one that is much smaller for shrinking and positioning on the screen. The smaller on gives you more edge and effects area to softly transistion like your above project.

bradl
10-25-2003, 06:02 PM
Also, the Volumetic effect has a setting to limit the extent of the light, which may help you keep your effect from going off the screen as much. Not at workstation right now, but I think it is Enable Mask, then set a Radius.

Works well except I found at a certain point your orginal image is revealed hard edged just beyond your 'radius'. I would almost consider that a bug or something that needs addressing in a future release. Try it and let me know what you think.

I will attach image Sunday...

bradl
10-26-2003, 10:07 PM
sample Mask Radius revealing image: