PDA

View Full Version : LightWave 11 Manual Addendum

wrench
02-28-2012, 03:47 PM
Here is the current version of the PDF accompanying LightWave 11 as of 29-Mar-12. The current version will always be posted here in case of updates to correct or expand on information.

This is the complete documentation for LightWave 11. Anything not covered in this PDF will be information that is in the LightWave 10 manuals also shipped with this version. LightWave 12 will have completely overhauled new documentation.

If you find any problems with the documentation, please use one of the many threads devoted to discussing the documentation on the forum, enter a new case at FogBugz (https://fogbugz.newtek.com/default.asp?command=new&pg=pgEditBug) or send a message to [email protected]

B

Philbert
02-28-2012, 08:45 PM
The [email protected] address failed. Email bounced back to me.

funk
02-29-2012, 02:27 AM
Fogbugz 44464
Here are some updated features I could not find documented:

* Ctrl + f9 shortcut toggles VPR on/off
* new NGON lights
* Updated car paint node has new values: iridescence, thickness, wavelength, clearcoat "real fresnel"
* No info on the new (more accurate) reflection shading

more later as I find them

wrench
02-29-2012, 03:07 AM
That's great funk, thank you! I have added them all.

B

Chuck
02-29-2012, 10:18 AM
The [email protected] address failed. Email bounced back to me.

The correct address is [email protected] Is this listed incorrectly in the manual?

[Edit: Ah, the link in the post was wrong. I've fixed that. Ben apologizes for the error, no doubt! :) ]

Philbert
02-29-2012, 10:34 AM
I'm sorry then that's my fault. I thought I just clicked the link above but I must've typed it (incorrectly) myself.

Chuck
02-29-2012, 11:34 AM
I'm sorry then that's my fault. I thought I just clicked the link above but I must've typed it (incorrectly) myself.

No, actually after reading your post and typing my reply, I looked at the first post and noticed the link was wrong for the email and corrected that. You were quite correct. Thanks for catching that! :)

Philbert
02-29-2012, 01:43 PM
Ohhh You're quite sneaky like that. ;p

funk
02-29-2012, 02:47 PM
Here are a few more updates/features I noticed with no documentation:

* Nodes can now be connected to each other when the node editor zoom is less than 100%
* Fresnel node has a new "inverse" output (very handy!)
* Scene editor right click / property menus are now organized in sub-menus (no more crazy long scrolling lists)

wrench
02-29-2012, 02:52 PM
Yay, excellent finds funk, thank you.

B

OnlineRender
03-07-2012, 06:37 AM
that's one sexy manual!

wrench
03-07-2012, 04:15 PM
Even more sexiness inbound, with great thanks to funk for all his great spotting

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2807104/LightWave%2011%20Addendum_120305_small.zip

B

Cloak&Dagger
03-10-2012, 11:15 AM
EDIT: Just read the new version posted above and found my issue fixed! Thats service! :-)

wrench
03-10-2012, 06:55 PM
;) do keep reading though and see if you spot anything else though please.

B

Kjasi
03-13-2012, 06:16 PM
LightWave 12 will have completely overhauled new documentation.

Does this include the SDK? Cause I would VERY MUCH like those documents updated to include the missing information on the file formats. The current object format documentation includes no data about vector normals or any data about even the existence of the node chunks.

It'd also be nice if some of the older SDK samples were updated...

D-Lab
03-16-2012, 12:14 PM
Hi Wrench,

I've just discovered the "Load Library By Name" function in the surface editor and I've not found any infos on this...

Perhaps it should be added to the LW11 doc.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=102700&stc=1&d=1331920560

Tchao

wrench
03-16-2012, 05:26 PM
Thanks D-Lab! I shall ask Mr. Gorner about that, it has the look of something he would do...

B

Greenlaw
03-16-2012, 06:15 PM
I've just discovered the "Load Library By Name" function in the surface editor and I've not found any infos on this...

You just stumbled upon one of Lightwave's best kept secrets. Shh! Don't tell anybody about it. :)

Actually, this feature is very useful if you use Modo because Modo can drop many Lightwave shading features from your .lwo file when you send it there. But if you 'Save Library' for the object before sending it to Modo, you can reapply all your surfaces with a single 'Load Library' command when you bring the .lwo back into Layout or Modeler. These 'hidden' commands can save you from a lot of tedium and CTS strain if the object has many surfaces that need to be reapplied.

G.

D-Lab
03-17-2012, 01:40 AM
Hi Greenlaw,

"Load library" is existing for ages but the "By Name" flavor is more recent :)

Tchao

Greenlaw
03-17-2012, 10:34 AM
Ah, got it. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

That said, I'm surprised by how many LW artists I've worked with were completely unaware of this useful feature. (Okay, to be honest, I only found out about it two years ago, and that was here in these forums.) :)

G.

D-Lab
03-18-2012, 03:34 AM
A little one for you Wrench,

An option in the Object Collapser command which is not documented :

"From Dir"

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=102749&stc=1&d=1332063163

Tchao

D-Lab
03-18-2012, 08:13 AM
2 others in the Modeler "General Options" panel :

"Auto Save Objects" and "Autoscan Plugins"

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=102751&stc=1&d=1332080006

Obviously, that's not that we can't understand what these options are but I think every little pieces of LigthWave should be documented.:)

Tchao

D-Lab
03-18-2012, 11:28 AM
Some more from the Modeler "Display Options" panel:

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=102758&stc=1&d=1332091628

I just love documentation :D

D-Lab
03-18-2012, 12:34 PM
Ok, so, one last for the weekend :

In the basic tab of the "Surface Editor"

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=102763&stc=1&d=1332095574

see you

OnlineRender
03-20-2012, 03:43 PM
page 62 of large docs_ virtual camera on the image it has ACTION *"ZOOM" this is not a command and if you set that command to a value or range its loops and cannot get out of LW without force close ...found this out the hard way :) trying to get xbox controller to move camera atm

wrench
03-27-2012, 05:22 AM
Here is the most recent update to the docs. Thanks very much for all your help, it has made them so much better!

B

stiff paper
03-27-2012, 10:29 AM
Apparently, the latest version of ZBrush can export splines based on their Fibermesh "hair", for use as hair guides inside LW.
This thread:
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=126946
...and then from the bottom of page 01 in this thread:
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=125445

D-Lab
04-19-2012, 02:50 AM
Hi,

About the instances surface type generation, it should be specified that it only works with tris or quads and not at all with ngons...

Tchao

trang
04-23-2012, 12:03 AM
so what is the latest one for lw11 manual addendum : 0326 or 0329? iym getting confused as to what addendum to just use.

thanks in advance

BeeVee
04-23-2012, 02:03 AM
The latest version is always posted here: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=125694

B

trang
04-23-2012, 03:17 AM
cant access that page. so what IS the latest version?

BeeVee
04-23-2012, 03:17 PM
I have updated the first post of this thread with the current version, which is 120412 (the date in reverse order in case you are ever unsure what version is newer). I'll also attach it here. It's slightly newer than the one available on the LightWave trial page (http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/lightwave-downloads.html) (120406).

B

trang
04-23-2012, 10:09 PM
ok so thats the version i will use. thank you.

i do not know why i cannot access that page u indicated are for updates. what happens if there is another update?

mdunakin
04-24-2012, 09:22 AM
So, Chuck, is this the thread you sent me to, after you closed the other one I made in the General Discussions forum?
If so, where did MY thread go that I started on my own?
Or did you delete that one too and just meant that I am sposed to use this thread to post into or something and I need to repost my question again or what exactly?

Cuz I still see nothing about what I asked about here.
I had all that written down and don't much feel like retyping it all, but LOL

...............md :)

Chuck
04-24-2012, 12:41 PM
Mark, your other post is still right where you posted it, and now has a response from Ben:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=127607 (link will only work for HC usergroup members)

mdunakin
04-24-2012, 12:53 PM
Mark, your other post is still right where you posted it, and now has a response from Ben:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=127607 (link will only work for HC usergroup members)
Oh, wel, I couldn't remember where it was, that was some time back, over a week or what ever it was and I rarely post tho any of these stranger forums, you know, doc style of forums hehe
I'm more in the general or WIP type forums usually :)
And of course, I'm a HC member, i wouldn't of been able to post here in the first place, no? hehehe Wink ;)

And thanx much for the link though, you didn't have to do that, so it was quite nice of you to do that extra step for me.

I will see what happens in that forum, and just to be sure, is THAT really the place I SHOULD be posting a question like I asked, or would this have been more the place for it, since I DO see almost every posting in here where people are seemingly only discussing manual defects, or what ever the word is I'm looking for? LOL

Basically, THIS forum seems??? to have faaarrrr more people moving the thread along then in the other forum with reguards to that posting I made.

P.S. BTW, I just didn't even remotely realise that that NAB thing was still going on, since, at least to me, it "feels" like I've been getting NAB emails now for weeks and weeks and yes more weeks, so every time that thing comes around, I just loose total track of actual time, since that thing seems to go on for months at a time, though I know it can't possibly be that long, but that is the reason I get a lot of times, not just from NewTek, but anyone else that goes there :)

thanx.............md :)

Mr. Wilde
04-24-2012, 03:25 PM
I'm not a hardcore member and I'm pretty much getting tired of this rather elitist separation. I purchased a copy of LightWave 11. I see no reason why there's any knowledge about it that should be hidden from me, especially when it's about the frigging LW 11 manual. I constantly run into this permission denied crap when I'm browsing the forums and follow links that essentially go "The problem you have has already been discussed and solved here: link". It's absolutely annoying. [/VENT]

Chuck
04-24-2012, 03:41 PM
Oh, wel, I couldn't remember where it was, that was some time back, over a week or what ever it was and I rarely post tho any of these stranger forums, you know, doc style of forums hehe
I'm more in the general or WIP type forums usually :)
And of course, I'm a HC member, i wouldn't of been able to post here in the first place, no? hehehe Wink ;)

And thanx much for the link though, you didn't have to do that, so it was quite nice of you to do that extra step for me.

I will see what happens in that forum, and just to be sure, is THAT really the place I SHOULD be posting a question like I asked, or would this have been more the place for it, since I DO see almost every posting in here where people are seemingly only discussing manual defects, or what ever the word is I'm looking for? LOL

Basically, THIS forum seems??? to have faaarrrr more people moving the thread along then in the other forum with reguards to that posting I made.

P.S. BTW, I just didn't even remotely realise that that NAB thing was still going on, since, at least to me, it "feels" like I've been getting NAB emails now for weeks and weeks and yes more weeks, so every time that thing comes around, I just loose total track of actual time, since that thing seems to go on for months at a time, though I know it can't possibly be that long, but that is the reason I get a lot of times, not just from NewTek, but anyone else that goes there :)

thanx.............md :)

Since LightWave 11 is in release now, there's no reason not to just post all your questions in the regular forums. I can move your other post up here if you would like - I'd recommend, that in fact.

Chuck
04-24-2012, 04:00 PM
I'm not a hardcore member and I'm pretty much getting tired of this rather elitist separation. I purchased a copy of LightWave 11. I see no reason why there's any knowledge about it that should be hidden from me, especially when it's about the frigging LW 11 manual. I constantly run into this permission denied crap when I'm browsing the forums and follow links that essentially go "The problem you have has already been discussed and solved here: link". It's absolutely annoying. [/VENT]

HardCORE members paid for their privileges and that included a private forum area where software under development was discussed, most recently LightWave 11 Pre-Release. There's nothing elitist about it, just a practical consideration given the circumstances. With product now in release, there's no reason for the discussions not to be in the main forums, and we may move some threads to public where there is nothing about them that limits us from doing so.

Tobian
04-24-2012, 04:21 PM
Does Mr. Wilde not get upgraded to a hardcore membership now he has 'paid for the privilege' since this is where any talks about future releases of LW 11.x would be discussed, so surely he should be allowed in?

Chuck
04-25-2012, 12:39 PM
Does Mr. Wilde not get upgraded to a hardcore membership now he has 'paid for the privilege' since this is where any talks about future releases of LW 11.x would be discussed, so surely he should be allowed in?

No, new HardCORE entry stopped when LightWave 10.0 was released and HardCORE membership was retired as an active SKU for sale. Also, the assumption that we would be talking about future developments in the HC section is not correct.

Tobian
04-25-2012, 01:04 PM
Well that's confusing though. Where do new (non HC) members discuss the beta builds, which they can't talk about in the regular forums?

OnlineRender
04-25-2012, 01:37 PM
Also, the assumption that we would be talking about future developments in the HC section is not correct.

so would this not be a good indication and time to break down the great wall of silence ,the argument for non legit users seeing content is now void due to the fact that users who purchase LW11 cannot enter these forums also "not saying this is the sole reason" however Core was nearly 2 years ago and without a shadow of a doubt divided the community pulling threads from one forum to another would be problematic, a dedicated new forum that is integrated would be nice along with a toprow :) not saying having a private forum is unproductive but creating a forum with separate "ranks" will evidently result in users felling left out .

Chuck
04-27-2012, 08:33 AM
so would this not be a good indication and time to break down the great wall of silence ,the argument for non legit users seeing content is now void due to the fact that users who purchase LW11 cannot enter these forums also "not saying this is the sole reason" however Core was nearly 2 years ago and without a shadow of a doubt divided the community pulling threads from one forum to another would be problematic, a dedicated new forum that is integrated would be nice along with a toprow :) not saying having a private forum is unproductive but creating a forum with separate "ranks" will evidently result in users felling left out .

Again, with LightWave 11 in release there is no reason for any discussions not to be in the public forums. We don't need to make a new section where everyone can be united - we already have that in the public discussion areas for Support and for technique discussions. We just need to get everyone back to using them.

Greenlaw
04-27-2012, 12:35 PM
Hi,

FYI, I just created a new private section in these forums. It's a lot of fun but membership is very exclusive. So far it's just me. And no, you can't join so don't ask.

Nyah! Nyah! :p

G.

OnlineRender
04-27-2012, 05:08 PM
Hi,

FYI, I just created a new private section in these forums. It's a lot of fun but membership is very exclusive. So far it's just me. And no, you can't join so don't ask.

Nyah! Nyah! :p

G.

well i just implemented personal profile url's, rss feeds and latest photos within my LightWiki profile and I rewrote the tutorials and downloads section and I created a private developers group that you cant join so nyah nyah touché ! :thumbsup:

http://lightwiki.net/cgnetwork/stephscott :)

Greenlaw
04-27-2012, 05:58 PM
:cry: