PDA

View Full Version : Alt gr key in LW11

twine
02-28-2012, 02:33 PM
I use LW10 on a regular basis, after trying LW11 I found that my ALT gr key, (the alt key on the right hand side of my space bar) doesnt function. In LW10 it allows me to zoom by holding it down and moving my mouse. In LW11 I get no response. That is how I am used to navigating in LW.
Anyone else experience this? It might sound silly, but its the one thing stopping me from upgrading.

wrench
02-28-2012, 02:43 PM
All Alt Gr does is create the same keyboard code as the two keys Ctrl and Alt on the left side of the keyboard as far as I am aware. It's not working here either, but I think that's more to do with the keyboard drivers than LightWave. You do know that Alt (on either side of the space bar) and the mouse wheel zooms as well?

B

twine
02-28-2012, 02:46 PM
In LW10 my left Alt button rotates and my right Alt(gr) zooms, in the perspective window. I have always navigated this way, and find it incredibly efficient. Im a bit lost without this.

ivanze
02-28-2012, 03:56 PM
Ctrl+Alt is zooming here.

twine
02-28-2012, 03:59 PM
Thats good news. So there should be a way for me to get the zoom to work.... just need to figure out what it is.

lwanmtr
02-28-2012, 07:30 PM
11 has alot of the shortcuts weird....I had to spend a while to get arrow-key navigation back to the way it was in <11.

wrench
02-29-2012, 03:47 AM
Ctrl Alt does zoom, always has, but Alt Gr doesn't. Then again, it doesn't in 10.1 either for me. I'm just downloading 9.6.1 to test in there too, but I still reckon that it's down to your keyboard more than LightWave. Have you tried just using the Alt key and mouse wheel? I personally find it awkward to switch sides of the space bar for the different operations, I don't quite see how you find it efficient :) I guess I'm just used to having my left hand on the left side of the keyboard from years of use.

B
PS. Just tried in 9.6.1 and sure enough it does work there, so it probably is a change that we made to the code. Having said that, it was probably necessary to support future development.

lwanmtr
02-29-2012, 04:23 AM
Dang engineers....they love to change things

wrench
02-29-2012, 04:46 PM
My keyboard actually has Ctrl and Alt keys on the right of the space bar as well as the ones on the left. Holding them both down zooms as with the ones on the left.

B

twine
03-03-2012, 04:06 AM
Ok, I tried holding down alt gr and ctrl and sure enough it zooms. I'm left handed, so I hold the mouse with the left hand and I navigate (normally) by keeping my right thumb over the left alt button and my little finger over the alt gr button. this allows me to rotate and zoom without ever looking at my keyboard. (Its very fast too) Is there any way I can remap that zoom button to the alt gr? Should I look into python perhaps? Or should I try bribing a LW engineer? :)

Edit: I can use the new setup for zooming without looking, but as I have LW10 at home and may well be using LW11 at work I would still like to be able to remap that zoom button. Whats the reason for not being able to remap those keys in the keyboard shortcut panel?

wrench
03-03-2012, 12:38 PM
Aha! I understand now. :D Do you have a Ctrl to the right of the Space bar as well? Then you could just either use just your right index finger to rotate, or right index and middle to zoom? For me, LightWave 10.1 works the same way as LightWave 11. Are you saying that 10.0 is the same as 9.6?

As for remapping the mouse controls you cannot in LightWave, but you should search for AutoHotKey on the forum and elsewhere.

B

twine
03-04-2012, 03:59 PM
Yes I do indeed have a ctrl key to the right of the space bar. That is the Alt gr key. I assume that a US keyboard must be slightly different then?
And I have been using both the alt keys to zoom and rotate since LW8.

wrench
03-05-2012, 03:00 AM
No, I meant in *addition* to the Alt Gr key, I have both on this UK keyboard. Also, did you try the scroll wheel zoom I mentioned before? Then you would only need use Alt anyway.

B