PDA

View Full Version : Are new MAc Pro's on the horizon?

Tony3d
02-28-2012, 10:16 AM
Has Intel released the processors for the new Mac Pro's yet? I'm thinking of getting a new Mac Pro, but thinking new ones may be a month or so of.

Scazzino
02-28-2012, 10:59 AM
Hard to say.

If they use the Sandy Bridge they may be soon, but if they ran into heat problems with Sandy Bridge and opted to wait for Ivy Bridge then it could still be a while since some of those were just delayed too, notebook chips at least, not sure about the high end desktop chips.

Here are the latest rumors...

Mac Pro Rumors
http://macpro.macrumors.com/

More on Intel's Ivy Bridge Notebook Chip Delays [Updated]
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/27/more-on-intels-ivy-bridge-notebook-chip-delays/

Scazzino
02-28-2012, 11:05 AM
Actually the Ivy Bridge desktop processors look limited to the 4 core so will probably be limited to the iMac/Mini if not just MacBooks? The Mac Pro usually uses server chips, so probably Sandy Bridge server chips?

Ivy Bridge
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivy_Bridge_(microarchitecture)

Sandy Bridge
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge

Tony3d
02-28-2012, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the info! I may wait a while unless the same machine you got comes on the refurb section.

OlaHaldor
02-29-2012, 03:37 AM
nVidia recently released new Mac drivers, so now you can buy a regular GTX580 and install it in your Mac Pro (2008 or newer)!

At least that's something..

Lightwolf
02-29-2012, 04:02 AM
If they use the Sandy Bridge they may be soon, but if they ran into heat problems with Sandy Bridge and opted to wait for Ivy Bridge then it could still be a while since some of those were just delayed too, notebook chips at least, not sure about the high end desktop chips.

The Sandy Bridge Xeons are just around the corner, and there's also rumors about an 8-core model (which would just about fit into the 150w thermal budget for dual socket Xeons) - at US$1800 a pop from Intel.
It seems that currently Intel is releasing the dual socket Xeons of their current architecture roughly a year after the first desktop chips (when it comes to Sandy Bridge they had some chipset problems as well though) - and that's not bound to change much with Ivy Bridge either.

<rant>
It looks like the price gap between single socket machines and dual socket workstation type hardware has unfortunately widened again in the past few years. There used to be a time when one could get twice the power for a double price.

Cheers,
Mike

rsfd
02-29-2012, 05:03 AM
nVidia recently released new Mac drivers, so now you can buy a regular GTX580 and install it in your Mac Pro (2008 or newer)!

At least that's something..

from where do you got this info?
Afaik, these new drivers are officially exclusively for GTX285-Mac, GT120, 8800GT, Quadro4000-Mac and the FX5600 and FX4800 Quadros for Mac.
Also, this driver is only supported on MacPro 3,1 - 4,1 and 5,1 models running OSX 10.7.3.

Although some PC cards now are (un-)officially supported (at least partly) under Lion, it's still a somewhat risky decision to plug a PC graphics card into a MacPro as you can never be certain, that the support won't break later on.

Me at least, will not experiment with those drivers. The actual Nvidia drivers for Windows broke my Bootcamp install completely and gave me weeks of troubles.
{edit: I'm now assured that these drivers break several applications under Lion - so anyone willing to install: read carefully about the downgrade process to the default drivers ;) }

But in general there are indeed indicators that standard PC graphics cards will be natively supported in upcoming OSX versions (the Mountain Lion Developer Preview has further support over Lion).

@Tony3D
As nobody knows, what CPU Apple will use in an upcoming MacPro range (*if* a new MacPro as we know it will come at all), your question cannot be answered here.
Personally I tend to believe, that Apple will most likely skip the Sandy Bridge Xeons completely for an upcoming professional workstation and will directly go to the upcoming Ivy Bridge Xeon, which has several advantages. The other question is if Apple decides to hold back any professional Mac in favour of waiting for the upcoming new Nvidia graphics architecture later this year.
The MacPro range is late due to several reasons, the Xeon development most likely being the most important. Might be, that Apple argues that some more months don't make a difference any more.