PDA

View Full Version : Motion vectors channels in new Lightwave 11 instances

dsolo
02-28-2012, 07:38 AM
Hi guys we are having some issues with the new instances in lightwave 11. We would like to make motion blur in postproducction but for some reason it seems like new instances don't get represented their info properly in motion vector channels. Has anyone been lucky extracting the motion vector info for the new instances? Any help would be greatly apreciated.

VermilionCat
04-26-2012, 09:32 AM
I'm also curious about this. Motion vector for instancing in v11 is not working right.
Is this fixed in v11.0.1?

spunkyfl
04-27-2012, 10:34 AM
I'm also curious if anyone has found a fix.

There's an issue not only with motion blur, but soft shadows as well when using different render buffers.

I previously posted a related topic here - http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=127471

wellsichris
04-27-2012, 10:47 AM
it is not fixed in 11.01 so you know :(

VermilionCat
08-27-2012, 01:51 AM
Doesn't seem to work in 11.0.2 yet :(

crpcory
05-05-2013, 06:52 AM
Did this ever get fixed. Just now noticing the lack of motion blurring with instances, at least for the one test I did.

Greenlaw
05-05-2013, 09:25 AM
No Motion Vectors for Instancer yet (as of 11.5.) For now we have to cheat this effect. M/O ID works well with instances though--we've been using them in nearly every shot on our current short film production (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?133274-The-Brudders-2-Production-Log-%28Well-sort-of-%29&p=1317327&viewfull=1#post1317327).

One thing we've been very excited about: the Motlon Vector channel for FiberFX with long guide chains (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?133274-The-Brudders-2-Production-Log-%28Well-sort-of-%29&p=1314481&viewfull=1#post1314481) finally works the way it's supposed. to. Ironically, M/O ID doesn't work with FiberFX yet. We're deep in compositing mode so we can really use this. For now we have to resort to 'old school' tricks for hair/fur selections.

Hopefully Motion Vectors for Instancer and M/O ID for FiberFX will arrive before too long. :)

G.

sukardi
07-23-2013, 05:02 PM
Seems that this has been fixed in 11.6 although Newtek is promoting it as new feature rather than a fix. Have yet to test it though...

evolross
07-25-2013, 12:43 PM
This is a great fix. This solves the problem of Hypervoxels not being in the motion vectors. So now you can do motion-blurred particle effects in post using instances instead of Hypervoxels. I've had horrible problems in the past trying to do motion blurred rain effects in 3D and having CRAZY render times because they needed heavy motion blur but it couldn't be done in post. So I had to use like 20-pass native motion blur on Hypervoxels.

Greenlaw
07-25-2013, 12:54 PM
That is pretty cool...will need to check this out. In my situation, I was finishing the cemetery environments for 'Brudders 2' without post-motion blur applied (or any MB for that matter,) because of the lack of vectors for instances. I didn't mind the slight 'step-iness' for this project but it's important to have the option to use it. In fact, I am considering rendering a vectors-only pass so I can go back and apply the missing blur.

Now all I need now is for M/O ID buffers to include FiberFX. :)

G.

stiff paper
07-25-2013, 01:37 PM
...horrible problems in the past trying to do motion blurred rain effects...
All your raindrops have the same length of motion blur because they're all falling from roughly the same height and have roughly the same weight (probably at their terminal velocity anyway?) Render a single droplet with motion blur and put that on voxel sprites? Give it a normal map for extra zing?

evolross
07-25-2013, 01:39 PM
Render a single droplet with motion blur and put that on voxel sprites?
That's a good work-around for sure and probably would have worked. Good suggestions.

Normally I would just do rain/particles all-together in post but it was for a stereo CG shot - needed true, working stereo render. Which LW does nicely.

It was actually the rain shots at the end of The Amazing Spiderman when Peter Parker is looking down on the girl from the buildings and she's walking in the rain. :) :lwicon:

stiff paper
07-25-2013, 01:42 PM
Ack. Just looked. Don't think there's a way to add a normal map to a voxel sprite image. D'oh!