PDA

View Full Version : Intanced Object and MDD

Surrealist.
02-28-2012, 05:56 AM
I have a character driven by mdd (using softbody/file).

Now I want to make an instance of this character and move it, rotate it etc.

However, when I do the instance snaps back to the position of the original.

When setting the mdd to "Local" in the file tab, it does the opposite and the original moves to the position of the instance.

Seems like I am missing something.

Also I don't think it is mentioned in the manual. Could be wrong. But there is also an Instance Clone. This works differently than using the Object Instance Tab. When I use this feature it attaches the instancer to the Clone and not the original. When you move the clone all is good. This is another method and you can select it and manipulate it in the Viewport with the TRS tools.

However when you select the original and move it the clone does weird things and it moves also. So I am not sure what that is about.

Then still I don't quite get how to make an instance of something that is driven by MDD and offset it, Seems that this does not work, or simply not possible. But then, why if I change the setting to local does the original move? Can't get my head around that.

Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

mikeshan
02-28-2012, 06:23 AM
Have you set the instance to Local?
Translation Handling: sets handling of translations of the instances with respect to the source object.
World: when world coordinates are used, the instances will also change location in direct relationship to any movement or rotation of the source item.
Local: when local coordinates are used, the instances ignore any movement or rotation of the source item.

Surrealist.
02-28-2012, 07:12 AM
Well that would not apply to vertex data. That is at the object level.

Interesting, even setting dynamics on the original snaps it back. So this is even bfore setting mdd.

Thought you where supposed to be able to use dyn on instances?

Thomas Leitner
02-28-2012, 07:34 AM
Then still I don't quite get how to make an instance of something that is driven by MDD and offset it, Seems that this does not work, or simply not possible.

Hi Richard,
it is not possible to offset an mdd driven animation (bones and other deformations wonīt work too). Only translate, rotate and scale work (in such a way mikeshan mentioned).

ciao
Thomas

Surrealist.
02-28-2012, 08:11 AM
Was under the impression you could deform instances:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyolJOOZibU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c7gJdk_frI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qvm5I60Xg9A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXQW0XoG39Y&feature=related

Have not tested bones. But it seems you are correct. I tried a displacement and nope.

Perhaps those are CORE tests?

Thomas Leitner
02-28-2012, 09:06 AM
Was under the impression you could deform instances

To be clear: you can deform instances with mdd (bones ect.). But you canīt offset the timing: all instances deform at the same time. To get different timing you have to use different source objects with different animations.

ciao
Thomas

Surrealist.
02-28-2012, 09:58 AM
Hey wait! Never mind!

It works now! Just as expected!

Not sure what voodoo was going on but it is working now.

Happy happy.

Sensei
02-28-2012, 03:00 PM
Then still I don't quite get how to make an instance of something that is driven by MDD and offset it, Seems that this does not work, or simply not possible. But then, why if I change the setting to local does the original move? Can't get my head around that.

You have to clone reference, add some deformation, mdd or whatever, and then use it as reference.
The more copies of reference you will make, the more variations of instances.

Surrealist.
02-29-2012, 07:12 AM
Thanks Sensi.

But I figured it out already. Actually I guess I was not confused even. It was just acting strange. Certainly something I was doing wrong at first. Have no idea what or how.

But it works exactly as I thought it should.

To sum it up:

There are two kinds of instancing - generally - that I am aware of.

One type is found under CLone/Instance in the Items Tab.

This will create a clone of the object that is an instance. However in this case the instance has an Instancer in its own properties - not in the original object. It is here that you set viability options, nodes and so on. This instance can be selected and manipulated with the Layout tools.

The next kind is an instance you create from the original object by adding an Instancer to this object. From here it seems as if the instances can not be manipulated directly in the viewport with Layout tools. And that all of the translation and so on is done within the instanceer window. This seems best suited for creating masses of instances and translating them individually or using procedurals, nodes etc.

I was looking for the first kind - an Instance Clone. I found it, but it just did not seem to work as expected at first. Now it does.

AbstractTech3D
07-20-2012, 10:24 PM
How is the use of 'clone instance' advantageous over a straight object clone?