PDA

View Full Version : Legacy sampling possible for older scenes?

biliousfrog
02-28-2012, 03:41 AM
Is it possible to allow the older sampling methods to be used when working with older scenes?...in a similar way that classic cam, legacy motion blur, linear colour space etc. is loaded by default on older scenes.

As it stands I won't be able to switch fully to LW11 for some time because old scenes load with AA, light and shading samples effectively turned off or, at least, at a very low setting below what it is when loaded in 10.1 and earlier.

A friend mentioned this only yesterday when I didn't think that it would affect me, however, today I need to re-render several images at a larger size. I'm using 10.1 because 11 would require me to start almost from scratch with the sampling to get the correct settings again for each scene.

RebelHill
02-28-2012, 05:58 AM
No.

You can use classic cam, who's AA is still the same as ever (not integrated with the US system)... but there's no other way to set light/shade samples than using it.

biliousfrog
02-28-2012, 07:04 AM
I was aiming the question more at NewTek actually, whether it would be possible to put that feature back in for legacy use...I can guess at the answer but thought it worth asking as the excuse for not changing certain other things is often that it would break older scenes, which the new sampling does.

wrench
02-28-2012, 10:58 AM
I think that since you can have several versions of LightWave installed on the same machine, you can always just continue to use the older version for old stuff and 11 for new stuff?

B

biliousfrog
02-28-2012, 12:42 PM
I think that since you can have several versions of LightWave installed on the same machine, you can always just continue to use the older version for old stuff and 11 for new stuff?

B

Yup, that's what I'm doing...it's just an extra hassle having to set up and run two versions of lightwave. It'll work itself out eventually, it's just a little unusual to drop the old way completely like that.

Cageman
02-28-2012, 02:11 PM
LightWave needs to get rid of legacy, and as others have mentioned... using an older version of LW for older stuff makes perfect sense.

Matt
02-28-2012, 11:12 PM
LightWave needs to get rid of legacy, and as others have mentioned... using an older version of LW for older stuff makes perfect sense.

Agree 100%. Time to move on, keeping backward compatibility should be for loading old scenes (to be then updated) but not for keeping all the replaced / redundant features!

biliousfrog
02-29-2012, 02:25 AM
Agree 100%. Time to move on, keeping backward compatibility should be for loading old scenes (to be then updated) but not for keeping all the replaced / redundant features!

I don't disagree but it also seems strange to keep several versions of the same nodes, classic camera, old motion blur etc. for the past 2+ major versions of Lightwave but drop support for the old sampling method in one hit...it's a bit contradictory.

Just saying.

I'm all for cleaning out Lightwave. I'd like to see it completely stripped of every tool and have you guys manually sort through all of the ones that should go back in, I can guarantee that there'll be a pile of spare parts left on the garage floor.

Anyway...it seems like a great update, I hope that I can start using it properly soon. :)

Captain Obvious
02-29-2012, 04:34 AM
Whenever Eyeon releases a new version of Fusion, they mention that if you want the same results exactly, down to the last pixel, then you should use the old version. I would argue the same with render engines. You cannot expect full version compatibility, unfortunately.

Tobian
02-29-2012, 06:36 AM
It would become a bit of a complex nightmare to have multiple AA styles in the camera settings, and very confusing to a noob. Some things, like nodes, and older modelling plug-ins can be stored in deprecated drop-downs, labelled as such, but sometimes some things are just 'better' and should be used instead.

I know it's a pain to learn the new settings, but as others have said, you have the old versions to use the old things with.

If anything, subtly improved import options could help: Such as not setting aa to 1 on importing an older scene, and perhaps some 'quality presets', so people can understand the new system better, and then fine-tune later. Some more explanatory videos and tutorials from Newtek (no criticism to RebelHill's excellent unified sampling video) to explain these new replacement parts, so there's less pain in the cross-over. The sample content and new manuals are very welcome, but there's some of the new features which I think could use some more... visual.. explaining for less technical people, or those who simply don't have the time to try out a million sample renders, so they can find good settings.

Stripping out legacy and making Lightwave more streamlined, is definitely the way to go! Keep some legacy tools in there, if it's possible to keep them in such a way as to not clutter (such as the 'more' menus in Modeler, or 'legacy' dropdown) then that means they are there if needed. If it's not, strip it out.