thats ditto in doggy talk..

:)

GandB
02-25-2012, 10:39 AM
I don't understand?

shrox
02-25-2012, 10:42 AM
I don't understand?

As I understand it, NewTek has given users 60 days to get decent pricing for upgrades. I've been using Lightwave since 1995, I don't want to be told to buy now or be sorry.

GandB
02-25-2012, 10:50 AM
Seriously? So it's going up from $695 from 9.6 in 60 days? I didn't see that anywhere....but that's not a surprise, since they don't do newsletters anymore...or apparently send you anything about LW11's release in your inbox.

Waves of light
02-25-2012, 10:57 AM
In my opinion, I don't get what all the fuss is about.

I can understand the frustration of only having 30 days to play and yet 60 days to make up your mind, but most software companies only offer 30 days anyway.

I bought an extra seat for LW9.6, with membership to the HardCore forums. With that I got an insight into the development of Core, parts of which were passed over to LW10 (VPR), which I got a free upgrade to. I also got Lino Grandi's Rigging Revealed DVD for nothing (which is an excellent tutorial) and a t-shirt.

At some point, a company has to draw a line and say that's the cut off.

dwburman
02-25-2012, 10:57 AM
The upgrade price from earlier versions is not changing.

HardCore members got a special, locked-in upgrade price depending on when you bought in. It is this special HardCore member discount that expires 60 days after the release of LW11. This was announced last November.

GandB
02-25-2012, 11:11 AM
Ah! I thought Shrox was saying that anyone who wanted to upgrade had better do it in 60 days (or else)....such as Adobe was attempting to do. That wouldn't make any sense to me, and would further alienate those users that are left over.

Either way; NT really needs to start communicating more...and do it more frequently. Is there even a marketing department around (don't answer that)? You would have thought everyone's email would have had an official announcement by now.

jburford
02-25-2012, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the note dwburman! Guess I missed that one, should have saved some extra Christmas cash in November, as do not think it is swingable at this time. (end of June, no problem, but now.....)

Dexter2999
02-25-2012, 11:30 AM
The upgrade price from earlier versions is not changing.

HardCore members got a special, locked-in upgrade price depending on when you bought in. It is this special HardCore member discount that expires 60 days after the release of LW11. This was announced last November.

Yeah, "60 days" has been more like five months total...so 150 day window to take advantage of the locked in pricing.

And there was a notice that users who wanted to take advantage of the special pricing would have window after the release. And the announcement also said that if you didn't take advantage of the special that you would sacrifice the discount for the future releases (a deal that could add up to $1000 or more in total.) I wasn't too keen on that last part.

Dexter2999
02-25-2012, 11:47 AM
Oliver- You're a mean drunk when you've been hitting the Tequila.

Just kidding man, but "wow" that was a skosh bit harsh, dude.

shrox
02-25-2012, 12:39 PM
Well, I got my 10 upgrade, but because of the website snafu I never got my key. I tried to transfer the serial number I have because of a mix up in discs while I was in England, but that didn't work and I didn't get a response.

Now I have a budget coming to buy a new computer and upgrade software, but a price increase will knock something out of that budget.

Just frustrated, I am usually pretty quiet about my discontent when speaking of my beautiful mistress, Lightwave...

Nicolas Jordan
02-25-2012, 12:57 PM
It's really up to Newtek how they want to charge for upgrades etc. I have decided not to upgrade to LW11 from 10.1 this time around. I have opted to wait for LW12 to see what's in it and pay the $695 upgrade pricing if I decide to get it.

OnlineRender
02-25-2012, 01:21 PM
don't think of it as 60 days more 16.39344262295082% of a year "leap"

BigHache
02-25-2012, 03:29 PM
don't think of it as 60 days more 16.39344262295082% of a year "leap"

OK that was pretty funny. :thumbsup:

synergy543
03-06-2012, 11:39 AM
So when are these 60 days up?

When was LW11 officially released?

dwburman
03-06-2012, 11:58 AM
LW11 was officially released Feb 20 - The last day to upgrade and maintain the HC discount is April 23.

The 60 days from the release date bit was announced last November. I also was not expecting a 60 day window to upgrade when I purchased LW10 back in Sept. 2010, and was annoyed by it, but I've had time to adjust to the notion. I imagine it's a shock to those who hadn't heard about it until now.

hrgiger
03-06-2012, 01:12 PM
Newtek raised their price of upgrades to $695. At least they're giving you the courtesy of a 60 day heads up to still get it at the lower price.

Andy Meyer
03-07-2012, 11:55 AM
after 3 weeks of silence from CS the trial version does not work on my pc. so 60 days is not much from my point of view... maybe i must go the 601 route for new features.

Hieron
03-07-2012, 03:53 PM
is it really that hard to get any response?
Only needed them 1x but NT Europe was quite helpfull back then..

Imagine them to be busy now, but still..

Larry_g1s
03-15-2012, 11:48 AM
Newtek raised their price of upgrades to $695. At least they're giving you the courtesy of a 60 day heads up to still get it at the lower price.But it's at the lower price for those that are locked in as of v10/Core right?

hrgiger
03-15-2012, 11:51 AM
But it's at the lower price for those that are locked in as of v10/Core right?

Yes, the 60 days is only for those who had hardcore pricing (either $395 or $495). It's irrelevant to anyone else.

Larry_g1s
03-15-2012, 11:57 AM
Yes, the 60 days is only for those who had hardcore pricing (either $395 or $495). It's irrelevant to anyone else.Then this is what doesn't make sense to me. If one is locked in to the 5 year deal at $395/495 and plans to upgrade at some point to keep their set price, what does NT lose if it's before 60 days or not??? It makes no sense! One is going to either upgrade to keep their pricing structure or they're not. What difference does it make to NT if you do it at their given 60 days or at the end of the cycle for that matter? Sure they would get money sooner, but to do that to your customer who's going to pay regardless for the upgrade, doesn't make any since. It seems to alienate your customer for what? So they can get their money sooner rather then later?

Nicolas Jordan
03-15-2012, 12:02 PM
For people like me who may wait for LW12 to upgrade I will have to pay $695 for everything that was in LW11 and I will also get LW12 but that means waiting for at least a year and missing out on any current LW11 stuff.

Dexter2999
03-15-2012, 12:46 PM
Then this is what doesn't make sense to me. If one is locked in to the 5 year deal at $395/495 and plans to upgrade at some point to keep their set price, what does NT lose if it's before 60 days or not??? It makes no sense! One is going to either upgrade to keep their pricing structure or they're not. What difference does it make to NT if you do it at their given 60 days or at the end of the cycle for that matter? Sure they would get money sooner, but to do that to your customer who's going to pay regardless for the upgrade, doesn't make any since. It seems to alienate your customer for what? So they can get their money sooner rather then later?

So what would stop the people with the locked in price from waiting 30 days before LW12 ships, then try to claim they are entitled to that one as well because they fell within the grace period? Effectively trying to skip a version(payment).

I think Newtek is being quite fair. And as an American, I think the timing of the release is perfect as it coincides with income tax returns. Meaning a large portion of their user base should be coming into some extra cash about now. (Not everyone, no, and it doesn't account for the international user base, but nothing is perfect.)

shrox
03-15-2012, 01:00 PM
I just meant after 15 years of being a dedicated user of Lightwave, a 60 day buy or sorry seems a little meh...

Larry_g1s
03-15-2012, 01:43 PM
For people like me who may wait for LW12 to upgrade I will have to pay $695 for everything that was in LW11 and I will also get LW12 but that means waiting for at least a year and missing out on any current LW11 stuff.Right, but it wouldn't matter if you were wanting to keep the locked in price and going to upgrade to v11. Again, what difference does it make to NT when you do it as long as you do it? They will still get their money for the upgrade either way and this is more customer friendly.

So what would stop the people with the locked in price from waiting 30 days before LW12 ships, then try to claim they are entitled to that one as well because they fell within the grace period? Effectively trying to skip a version(payment).

I think Newtek is being quite fair. And as an American, I think the timing of the release is perfect as it coincides with income tax returns. Meaning a large portion of their user base should be coming into some extra cash about now. (Not everyone, no, and it doesn't account for the international user base, but nothing is perfect.)True. IF they hadn't already stated that that price was locked in for the next five consecutive versions. Make the cut off to upgrade towards the end of the cycle, not the beginning. That seems more customer friendly. It would just be ones own fault that they didn't get to benefit from that versions features as long before the next version released.