PDA

View Full Version : UV Maps & Resizing.

Philly85
02-24-2012, 01:06 PM
Okay for this computer game I said to my friend "I pretty much need the scale of every model before I can texture them with a UV map"

He seems to think that in Torque he will do the scaling and the UV map won't change if he makes the model smaller, is this true?

I was always under the impression that I would have to texture to scale as it won't fit on properly if he makes it smaller then applies the UV Map Image.

Thanks.

nickdigital
02-24-2012, 01:09 PM
Your friend can scale up or down his model as much as he wants. Your UV texture won't be affected.

Or when you talk about scale are you referring to texture resolution? 512x512 image size, etc?

Philly85
02-24-2012, 01:47 PM
Nah mate talking about the model the first one long ad texture aint affected cheers.

Philly85
02-25-2012, 01:52 AM
Now im confused..asked my tutor the same question and he came up with this answer..

"Yes a UV map must be a certain size, it must have a width and height that's a power of 2.
There is a maximum resolution you can use but I can't remember this.
I would however recommend that you do a test using a uv map at 1024 x 1024, that's quite high for a game so I'd also try 256 x 256 that should definitely work."

probiner
02-25-2012, 02:04 AM
Nope, that's the good thing about UVs, they go with the mesh.

If I have this right:
UV map -> the mesh unfolded (in the 2D UV space)
UV texture -> bitmap image

Only thing you have to think about is to adapt the size of the UV texture to the screen size of the model.

Cheers

nickdigital
02-25-2012, 10:03 AM
Now im confused..asked my tutor the same question and he came up with this answer..

"Yes a UV map must be a certain size, it must have a width and height that's a power of 2.
There is a maximum resolution you can use but I can't remember this.
I would however recommend that you do a test using a uv map at 1024 x 1024, that's quite high for a game so I'd also try 256 x 256 that should definitely work."

I believe your instructor is referring to how the UV map is a square. I would recommend starting large and then saving down as you need it. It's easier to size an image down than it is to size it up. Sizing up a 256x256 up to 1024 will look bad. Sizing 1024 down to 256 will be fine.

Philly85
02-25-2012, 12:57 PM
Thanks guys.

My body model is subpatched and when I load it into Torque it isnt, how am I going to make a realistic looking body without using subpatches? because the non patched version of it looks a right mess

MarcusM
02-25-2012, 01:31 PM
Thanks guys.

My body model is subpatched and when I load it into Torque it isnt, how am I going to make a realistic looking body without using subpatches? because the non patched version of it looks a right mess

Check this. Maybe You find something interesting :thumbsup:
http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3445

Philly85
02-25-2012, 01:35 PM
Thanks mate will this work in the game engine if I follow it? thought you couldnt have any subpatches in there.

jasonwestmas
02-25-2012, 06:43 PM
You can put your sub-D level down to 1 and then freeze the mesh without increasing the number of polys in the cage. Create normal mapping to get better form for your polygon shading.