PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave-> Zbrush

digitaldoc
02-24-2012, 08:52 AM
Using Lightwave 11 and the Zbrush full feature trial. I want to convert some of my models to obj format for Turbosquid.

obj files don't seem to use any of LW's procedurals or texture layers on the export obj function.

Took my lwo with GoZ to Zbrush, used uvmaster to create a nice uv map,
GoZ to LW, uv map there, all weightmaps, morph maps, textures gone....

Any thoughts, advice?

Thanks

gerry_g
02-25-2012, 03:54 AM
procedurals are usually specific to a particular package and don't transfer, bake whatever you want to a uv map using the surface baking came in layout, if the maps not exporting with mesh check that you have a uv map selected in the texture editor for the required texture layer before you export

digitaldoc
02-25-2012, 07:11 AM
Thanks.

Any idea why all the weight maps and morph maps are lost?

gerry_g
02-25-2012, 08:17 AM
sorry just re read, all things done in ZBrush like textures normals etc have to be baked/ generated as maps using the correct tabs for each from the menu right there in ZBrush and exported it's not totally automatic, if your talking about exporting obj from LW with morphs I don't think you can apart from with FBX export from Layout but that would not solve your problem without an appropriate package to export to to create a final obj file, unless someone else can give you better advice thats about the limit of what I know

digitaldoc
02-25-2012, 09:50 AM
Thanks

But still need to know if there is any way to preserve weightmaps and morphmaps from Lightwave 11->goZ>make uv maps in Zbrush>GoZ>back to LW 11 with no obj intermediate

gerry_g
02-25-2012, 05:23 PM
I don't think you can, Max gets morphs out of ZBrush not through the morphs tool but by using the layers pallet to sculpt a different poses and then exporting them, then re applying the new meshes as morphs, the closest I've seen to direct morph export is the Daz GoZ plugin which does seem to allow direct morph dater from ZBrush to Daz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI-a9XiXBNM

Asciicodeplus
05-21-2012, 07:30 PM
I'm having issues with LW11 too, if you have any working OBJ done in LW10 or any other application LW11 will break it, body parts, textures,etc will not import/export correctly. :-/

Deep Purple
05-22-2012, 03:15 AM
Thanks

But still need to know if there is any way to preserve weightmaps and morphmaps from Lightwave 11->goZ>make uv maps in Zbrush>GoZ>back to LW 11 with no obj intermediate

Hi digitaldoc!

None of the maps should get lost when using GoZ back to LightWave,
I just made a test:
1. Created a sphere in Modeler
2. Created a Morph Map
3. Sent via GoZ to ZBrush
4. Created a UV map in ZBrush using PUVTiles
5. Sent back to Modeler via GoZ

The created Morph Map is intact!

Could you write your steps to reproduce the problem please?

Cheers,
DavidF

Deep Purple
05-22-2012, 03:19 AM
I don't think you can, Max gets morphs out of ZBrush not through the morphs tool but by using the layers pallet to sculpt a different poses and then exporting them, then re applying the new meshes as morphs, the closest I've seen to direct morph export is the Daz GoZ plugin which does seem to allow direct morph dater from ZBrush to Daz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI-a9XiXBNM

Hi Gerry!

In Modeler you can switch between Morph Maps, GoZ the Morph Mapped geometry to ZBrush, edit the morph there, and GoZ the morph map back to LW,
base mesh and all other vmaps staying intact!

Cheers,
DavidF

jamie_finch
05-22-2012, 08:10 AM
OBJ format only preserves the colors and textures in the material files.
You can have color, diffuse, specular.... channels in the OBJ format.
The OBJ format has no ability to load or save procedural textures or weight maps.
The OBJ format saves, polygons, normals and vmaps. They are saved in
groups / layers. You can specify One Layer or One Vmap. Normally you
would not chech those options. Check your OBJ options if your are having
problems importing or exporting.

probiner
05-22-2012, 09:10 AM
Does not support vertex color maps too right?

jamie_finch
05-22-2012, 11:30 AM
To find out what is going on in the OBJ importer / exporter:

1. Export a small OBJ with uvmaps / normals / layers.
2. Load the file into notepad / wordpad / textedit.
3. You will see the vertexes / normals / faces / uvs (.OBJ).
4. Load the material file, and you can see your colors and textures (.MTL).

The OBJ format is limited in what it supports.
If you find that ZBrush or another program supports a setting that we are not supporting,
please let me know.

evolross
09-07-2012, 11:20 AM
Is anyone having any luck with making your UV's in Lightwave (using PLG tools personally) and then having ZBrush see them via GoZ? I'm doing my GoZ from Layout.

In ZBrush is acts like I don't have any UVs created.

Empedokles
09-07-2012, 02:52 PM
Is anyone having any luck with making your UV's in Lightwave (using PLG tools personally) and then having ZBrush see them via GoZ? I'm doing my GoZ from Layout.

In ZBrush is acts like I don't have any UVs created.

"PLG_Make_UV" doesnīt work and gives me an error in LW, I just found out. Donīt know why and since when; didnīt use it for a while. "PLG_Make_UV_Edit" worked and ZBrush sees everything normally. UV maps created with LW native tools also look normally inside of ZBrush for me (all sent via GoZ in Layout).

Julez4001
09-11-2012, 07:34 AM
Make a UV (test-a), create a surface, hit t - texture, set a uv texture , select uv channel (test-a), save the lwo, then export object, load in Zbrush

digitaldoc
09-20-2012, 11:20 AM
Hi digitaldoc!

None of the maps should get lost when using GoZ back to LightWave,
I just made a test:
1. Created a sphere in Modeler
2. Created a Morph Map
3. Sent via GoZ to ZBrush
4. Created a UV map in ZBrush using PUVTiles
5. Sent back to Modeler via GoZ

The created Morph Map is intact!

Could you write your steps to reproduce the problem please?

Cheers,
DavidF

Hi David,

I just made a simple sphere in modeler, gave it a surface texture, made a simple morph map (squash) named it redball.

Hit GoZ.

Loaded the tool in Zbrush, used uvmaster to unwrap and make uv, hit GoZ

It loaded into modeler as redball_1 with the uv map, no morph map. no texture.

I tried the clone uv option in uvmaster, copied to redball, hit GoZ, now have redball_2.

I have found that in Modeler, I can select all polys from redball_1, go to the original redball.lwo and make a generic uv map, select all the polys from the original object and
go to Paste uv's. With an unweld and merge points, the new uv map from redball_1 is now on redball as is it's original morph map and surfaces.

Thanks for the help. Cheers!

Steve

Addendum: Just tried your way with PUV tiles and it did work. I guess UVMaster breaks the system.

evermax
06-28-2014, 11:09 AM
Seem this issues has reemerged here for me with 11.6.3 and zbrush4R6

My 2 config changes

C:\Users\Public\Documents\ZBrushData\ZBrushScratch DiskPath.TXT
now point to
E:/ZBrush 4R6/ZBrushData/
____This puts the cache off the system drive and seems to work fine.

The system originally had the Goz project path pointing to
C:\Users\Public\Pixologic\GoZProjects\Default

I edited the C:\Users\Public\Pixologic\GoZBrush\GoZ_ProjectPath .txt
to point to
Z:\GoZ\GoZProjects\Default
_ This seems to work and files are placed here when sending from LW to Zbrush BUT.....

______
Issue is every object I send to zbrush via Goz seem to replicate the base mesh and appends its folder name to the beginning if the name and when it comes back to layout its a different file with a different name and all the morph maps and weightmaps are gone.

So I start with
Ball.lwo in layout,
make a UV atlas (happens if the UV is made in zbrush or layout)
I save and send it to Goz.
When the ball loads in zbrush it has a name of DefaultBall,
I sculpt some make a displacement map apply it and Goz back to modeler.
In modeler I get a file with my edited ball which now sports the useless name DefaultDefaultBall
and it contains no weightmaps and no morph maps.

If I did several more edits it would append default (the "folder-name" to the file each iteration ie DefaultDefaultDefaultDefaultBall.lwo

The naming issue is a pain but the retention of the weighmaps and any existing morphmaps is the goal.

According to the thread above it seems like weightmaps/morphmaps should be retained.
Anyone else experiences this with Goz
I used to get a dialog box when returning to LW via GOZ asking to update the base. I don't get that anymore.

Back of my mind I'm wondering if zbrush has some special permission to the C:\Users\Public\Pixologic\GoZBrush\ folder to write, which it lacks with the Z:\GoZ\GoZProjects\Default but figured if anyone else has experienced this it may be work a shout out to the group.

Thanks for any help
Bob

Deep Purple
07-15-2014, 09:31 AM
Seem this issues has reemerged here for me with 11.6.3 and zbrush4R6

My 2 config changes

C:\Users\Public\Documents\ZBrushData\ZBrushScratch DiskPath.TXT
now point to
E:/ZBrush 4R6/ZBrushData/
____This puts the cache off the system drive and seems to work fine.

The system originally had the Goz project path pointing to
C:\Users\Public\Pixologic\GoZProjects\Default

I edited the C:\Users\Public\Pixologic\GoZBrush\GoZ_ProjectPath .txt
to point to
Z:\GoZ\GoZProjects\Default
_ This seems to work and files are placed here when sending from LW to Zbrush BUT.....

______
Issue is every object I send to zbrush via Goz seem to replicate the base mesh and appends its folder name to the beginning if the name and when it comes back to layout its a different file with a different name and all the morph maps and weightmaps are gone.

So I start with
Ball.lwo in layout,
make a UV atlas (happens if the UV is made in zbrush or layout)
I save and send it to Goz.
When the ball loads in zbrush it has a name of DefaultBall,
I sculpt some make a displacement map apply it and Goz back to modeler.
In modeler I get a file with my edited ball which now sports the useless name DefaultDefaultBall
and it contains no weightmaps and no morph maps.

If I did several more edits it would append default (the "folder-name" to the file each iteration ie DefaultDefaultDefaultDefaultBall.lwo

The naming issue is a pain but the retention of the weighmaps and any existing morphmaps is the goal.

According to the thread above it seems like weightmaps/morphmaps should be retained.
Anyone else experiences this with Goz
I used to get a dialog box when returning to LW via GOZ asking to update the base. I don't get that anymore.

Back of my mind I'm wondering if zbrush has some special permission to the C:\Users\Public\Pixologic\GoZBrush\ folder to write, which it lacks with the Z:\GoZ\GoZProjects\Default but figured if anyone else has experienced this it may be work a shout out to the group.

Thanks for any help
Bob

Hi Bob!

I was able to reproduce your problem following the steps you described,
digging deeper I found that ZBrush actually sends objects of different names each time
you press "GoZ" in the ZBrush UI, giving the receiving application little clue that the object should
be merged with an already existing LWO.

I checked with Maya 2015, same issue there, every GoZ click in ZBrush results in a new object in Maya.

It is probably best to leave the GoZ project path at its default location for smooth GoZ operation, this is not something we can fix on our end.

Cheers,
David

evermax
07-15-2014, 09:52 AM
Hi David,
Appreciate the deeper look and understood.
We reverted to the default "C:\Users\Public\Pixologic\GoZProjects\Default" by reinstalling GOZ, and the replicating model issues resolved.

Thanks Again
Bob