PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Scene Won't Load/Open

Grey_Jay
02-24-2012, 08:27 AM
Hello community,

I was working on a scene, everything was fine. I am now trying to open/load the scene (.lws) again, and I get the spinning beach ball of death! I am not using any special plug-ins, nor am I using any expressions and have never seen this before.

The progress bar gets to 9%, then 99%, and keyframes appear in my timeline at the bottom. But nothing.

I have trashed my preferences, and have even tried opening a back-up version of the .LWS, but no luck.

Has anyone experienced this. Or does anyone have any suggestions?

Specs:
LW 9.6
OSX
3.06 Ghz Core 2 Duo
4 GB RAM

Thanks all :help:

Andy Meyer
02-24-2012, 08:53 AM
its hard to say wahts the problem, you can try:
make a new scene and "load from scene" all stuff from the damaged scene.
or open the damaged scene file in notepad and try to find the bug.

Grey_Jay
02-24-2012, 11:32 AM
Thanks Andy,

I've started re-assembling my scene using your suggestion of systematically adding/removing items from scene with hope to isolate the problematic element.

If I took the route of opening it in Notepad, I'd have no idea where to start :(

Thanks again-

chco2
02-24-2012, 12:46 PM
Have you changed your locale settings on your pc ?
Happened to me. Created a scene in LW 9.6 on a PC using dutch locale settings (different use of , and . for decimals). With LW10 and up it cannot read those scenefiles anymore.
If that might be the case, go to this page : http://files.designburo.nl/lws_convert/index.php or this one : http://www.liberty3d.com/2011/09/lightwave-scenefile-conversion-tool/ Upload your scenefile and get it processed. Save the processed version and try loading that. See if that works for ya!

Grey_Jay
02-24-2012, 06:27 PM
Hi chco2,

Nothing has changed. I simply shut down for the night. The file has never changed platforms, versions or event computers :(

Andy Meyer
02-24-2012, 06:41 PM
Jay, isn't there a location where LW makes backups of scenes and objects?
scan your C: harddrive for *.lws files. enable search in hidden folders.

Beth Jacobi
02-24-2012, 06:43 PM
What happens when you start Lightwave, then select Load From Scene? Do the items load or is there an error?

Andy Meyer
02-24-2012, 06:45 PM
Jay, you are on mac. how about the magical time machine? can you restore an earlier version of your scene file?

Grey_Jay
02-24-2012, 08:32 PM
Hi Andy and Beth...

I grabbed a back-up of the .lws, but no luck. So, I have individually "loaded from scene" all my prior .lwo files in an attempt to re-construct my original scene, and find the culprit. I have since encountered many crashes at random moments while doing very common things (ie: copy/pasting surfaces, manipulating keys in my graph editor, and loading surfaces)

Scazzino
02-24-2012, 09:43 PM
If the Mac has been up for a long time without a restart (like 24 days or more) then try restarting the Mac before loading the scene and see if that helps.