PDA

View Full Version : Thicken an extruded shape ?

madno
02-24-2012, 05:43 AM
I have a shape that I like to extrude and then to thicken.
What I tried so far, is shown in the attached screenshots. My problem is, nothing gives me the desired result.
Mainly I tried thickener 3.5, wich works quite well. But due to my geometry it comes to its limitations.

The next thing I now want to try is to take my base shape and reduce its size. So I can first extrude the bigger one then the smaller one and finally connect both to get an inner and outer geometry. Unfortunately I can't find any tool in Modeler that reduces the size of the shape in the way I need it. I think, I need something like "Path Offset" in Adobe Ilustrator, but don't know if it is available in Modeler.

Does anybody now a way how to achieve the goal?

JeffrySG
02-24-2012, 10:11 PM
This is a problem with thickener. Many times in a case like this I will go back to a basic version of the object without all the extra subd control edges. Then extrude and thicken the object. Clean up as necessary and then go in and add the subd control edges. I thnk it can be quicker to clen up the simple mesh than try to clean and adjust the complex one even though there will be more work to add the control edges in after the fact.

It would be best if there was a better and cleaner thickening option. :(

madno
02-25-2012, 12:23 AM
Yes, tweeking by hand seems to be the only way, unless somebody has a "super trick" which my noob's mind can't find out itsef. Even in LWCad4 I didn't find a feature to help with this situation.

dwburman
02-25-2012, 10:50 AM
Draw the curve as you want it to look (the profile of the gutter) and extrude it the add the caps later?

Gutters are generally made out of sheet metal and run through a machine that bends them into shape and then end caps are put on.

Obviously, this doesn't help with other situations where you want this kind of shape.

JeffrySG has a video tutorial on subpatch modeling that's probably worth taking a look at.

madno
02-26-2012, 07:46 AM
Finally found a way to thicken without too much hand tweaking.
- took my base shape
- found Multishift with "group polygons" which did exactly what "Path offset" does in Illustrator
- made a little bigger copy of the base shape with Multishift
- Flipped the polygons
- extruded both shapes with numeric panel (so that I go 2 mm gap)
- adjustet the top end of the bigger shape a little bit to have an even top with the smaller inner shape
- filled the remaining open gap with polygons by using edge -> bridge (thanks to a tip in another thread)
and got a nice thickend object with no need to move points by hand etc. :-)

JeffrySG
02-26-2012, 06:37 PM
Multishift is good method too. Usually you get the really bad geometry when you go smaller. Going bigger as you found will usually give you a much cleaner mesh for multishift and thickener.