PDA

View Full Version : Help with splines

Andrewstopheles
02-23-2012, 06:30 PM
I am struggling with some basics, I'm afraid.
I want to patch this object, but when I select the splines they will not patch.
I drew the shapes with spline draw, and used the "l" key to divide in a couple spots to add points for further lines. I used ctrl+p to add lines including the spline running down the side of the face.
It eems that I cannot mix the two...so I guess this leaves me with a mix of splines and polygon lines?
Can I convert them? What am I missing (some fundamentals I guess ?)
What is the recommended approach?

Sensei
02-23-2012, 06:35 PM
EasySpline http://www.easyspline.com
is tool which is previewing spline cage and shows you how object will look like after freezing. In real-time. Seriously, you can drag points, using any built-in and 3rd party tools, and update will be immediate from EasySpline Previewer. Check out videos.

Sensei
02-23-2012, 06:42 PM
If you're using Construct > Patch tool, you need to correctly select curves in right order.

I think you made this long curve, way too long. It's confusing patching algorithm.
First I would use EasySpline's Split Spline tool to divide it to smaller parts. So algorithm can work correctly.

Andrewstopheles
02-23-2012, 06:59 PM
Ahh I see you're right of course, thank you. I will check out Easyspline.

Sensei
02-23-2012, 07:02 PM
Such split spline still can have smoothness of old long spline, you just need to select two or more split segments and press Detail > Curve > Smooth. This will make special dashed lines at beginning and ending of curves.