PDA

View Full Version : LW-->Unity Tool; where is it?

GandB
02-22-2012, 08:55 PM
I've looked over the interface, and searched the supplied documents in the demo. I see nothing about the Unity Tool that Rob spoke of, and that used to be advertised in the Interchange Tools section here:

http://www.newtek.com/features-lightwave-menu.html

Can anyone enlighten me as to where this is located?

By the way, to the Dev Team; congratulations on the Official Release! ;)

realgray
02-22-2012, 10:02 PM
It's on page 75 of the manual.

GandB
02-22-2012, 10:15 PM
I ran a search of the help docs (don't have the manual, with the demo, that I'm aware of); nothing pops up with "Unity" in it. Any hint on what it says? I checked out all the export options on both Modeler and Layout; nothing there either.

realgray
02-22-2012, 11:01 PM
http://www.newtek.com/lightwave-downloads.html

under mac 32/64 download "documentation"

Page 75 "unity interchange"

MarcusM
02-23-2012, 12:23 AM
I test this integrations with Unity 3.5, follow documentation and I don't have that results.

Converted file from scene file are like empty objects, object layers don't have names like should have but numeration. If your test comes out good please share info.

wrench
02-23-2012, 06:14 AM
I wrote the docs and I'm using Unity 3.5 (before you had to manually split objects that were larger than 65k vertices). There is a problem with the built-in script that will be fixed by SP1 in a couple of weeks, but until then, here it is: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2807104/LWSPostProcessor.zip

B

GandB
02-23-2012, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the help guys. Would have been nice if Rob and Co. would have answered my numerous queries on it from the start.

I was under the impression that it was a simple button (like the GoZ) tool. I understand why the "feature" was taken off that LW11 Features Page. Have to say I'm a little dissapointed, as we were told everything mentioned in that video was done and in the program (and that was some time ago). I'll still give it a go, I'm sure; and compare it to another competitor's Unity transfer tool.

wrench
02-23-2012, 09:37 AM
It works great. I took the Lighting Challenge British Museum scene and sent it to Unity in less than 10 mins without knowing *anything* about Unity before: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2807104/WebPlayer/WebPlayer.html

B

twkelsey
02-23-2012, 09:50 AM
Thanks for sharing your results wrench. Have you had a chance to test the transfter of skinned/boned animations to Unity with the new scripts?

wrench
02-23-2012, 09:58 AM
I haven't yet. I'm no character animation expert so I'm not sure what to look out for. I can say that transferring scenes to Unity you need to either scale the fbx file in the Hierarchy view by 100, or in the Project view you need to turn off the scaling by 0.01 :)

B

GandB
02-23-2012, 10:20 AM
Appreciate the example wrench; it finally shows me something that can be done. Doesn't look like the smoothing groups carried over; or didn't you have them applied?

wrench
02-23-2012, 10:22 AM
Like I say, this was literally load the object from that Lighting Challenge, put it in a scene and send it to Unity. I didn't mess with smoothing or anything. I also didn't know about the scaling thing at the time so it's not exactly great.

B

GandB
02-23-2012, 08:23 PM
No big deal; it still shows that the geometry translated well. Thanks again! :thumbsup:

GraphXs
02-23-2012, 09:05 PM
There seems to be an issue with smoothing, but I just use the unity settings. Skin items work fine in Unity from lightwave. No weight maps needed! The lw/unity scripts work great. Some things to note: unity z is opposite of lw. Shaders need to be created in unity not in lightwave. Set the mapping is fine in lw. Normal map need to converted in unity if they r not working. Also lw camera and lights only come in as nulls. (Empty objects in unity) use unitys camera. And lights.

wrench
02-24-2012, 08:40 AM
Yes, the only reason to add lights to a scene in LightWave is that it's easier placement than in Unity (as far as I can see), then just use the object as a placeholder to attach a Unity light. Same goes for the camera.

B