PDA

View Full Version : self documentation tool request

mikeling
02-22-2012, 04:53 AM
It would be nice if there were more ways to add comments when working in Lightwave. Like embedding comments on what a scene is for, what happens on what frame, what an object,bone,light,camera,etc is for.

BigHache
02-22-2012, 06:17 AM
I had submitted a feature request in the 10 cycle for something that would be able to do what you've described. It would allow someone to attach a note to almost any item in a scene.

mikeling
02-22-2012, 09:38 AM
I had submitted a feature request in the 10 cycle for something that would be able to do what you've described. It would allow someone to attach a note to almost any item in a scene.

Are you thinking of attaching external files to in scene stuff? That would be great. I was thinking of the items having internal means of holding comments but an external one could be really cool too. A text or image window popping up with the relevant notation at the right place and time would be great.

Right now I am using the custom object "item shape" but it is only a label.

If I am understanding the "item comment display"/"items comments" plugin correctly, you can have a few lines of comments under "items comments", but they are not like a note but several separate short lines of text and "item comment display" only showing the first line of the comments only.

BigHache
02-22-2012, 06:45 PM
My request was internal. I found the case number:

https://fogbugz.newtek.com/default.asp?38643_k0gc1e8u

ncr100
02-23-2012, 08:43 PM
I wonder if this could be implemented as a plugin?

* Need a way to associate Note metadata to Scene, and to Object
* Need to store this arbitrary data inside the LWS or LWO

How do you currently sync objects / other assets between people in your office? You could do some multicast networking thing to discover other Note clients on your subnet, or sync up to a well known master Note server somewhere, to dispatch the fact a Note for a given asset has been updated.

mikeling
02-24-2012, 11:31 AM
I wonder if this could be implemented as a plugin?

* Need a way to associate Note metadata to Scene, and to Object
* Need to store this arbitrary data inside the LWS or LWO

How do you currently sync objects / other assets between people in your office? You could do some multicast networking thing to discover other Note clients on your subnet, or sync up to a well known master Note server somewhere, to dispatch the fact a Note for a given asset has been updated.

I was hoping for something that was built-in and not a plugin, like a tab that most items would have in the properties window. I was thinking it would be something in the lws because I am not sure I want to see yet another version of the lwo format.

I am guessing the copying of notes to other project members or importing/exporting notes to/from other scene files could be done via a utility plugin.

probiner
02-24-2012, 11:33 AM
+1

It would be very nice.
I take a lot of nodes in notepad, especially when I'm doing tests to get a certain result. Feels stupid to have to fiddle with the same things to get that result, or when you can't remember, but you were already there.

Cheers

Cheers

BigHache
02-24-2012, 12:42 PM
Yeah it would be great if this were built-in, but I wonder if Python can reach in and do this.

iain_r
02-25-2012, 04:02 AM
If you use "Studio Production Style" from the menu layout, on the Utilites tab there is a scene comment button under "Scene Utilities".

It's also available under the "Scene" tab.

Haven't found anything for frames yet.

Regards

Iain