PDA

View Full Version : So what's in LW11?

shrox
02-21-2012, 04:46 PM
If I buy LW11, will I need plugins like Sasquatch, C4, or the great DP stuff?

What formats does it load/import and save/export?

If I go with 32 or 64 bit, are there any tradeoffs like in 9.X? 64bit means extra memory, but no Sas or QuickTime...

Dexter2999
02-21-2012, 04:57 PM
creamy caramel centers

Nicolas Jordan
02-21-2012, 05:00 PM
You should download the trial version and try it out for yourself. :D

shrox
02-21-2012, 06:21 PM
Do I need Sasquatch with 11?

shrox
02-21-2012, 08:56 PM
It's a real question. I don't want to have to install and reinstall different versions of Windows just to find these things out...

Dexter2999
02-21-2012, 08:59 PM
32bit runs in 64 bit
...or to be clearer, 64 bit Windows can run either 32bit or 64bit LW.

You don't have to install different versions of Windows, just different versions of LW, which you might want to do anyway for plug in use.

but no...Quicktime will not work with 64bit LW (AFAIK) I believe it does work with the 32bit version.

Snosrap
02-21-2012, 09:11 PM
Do I need Sasquatch with 11?

I read somewhere on these forums that Sasquatch has been broke since version 10.1 and still is with 11. You might want to do a search for that info. Chuck has also stated that FiberFX has some issues that will get resolved with SP1. Apparently hair is an issue for the time being.:D

shrox
02-21-2012, 09:12 PM
I read somewhere on these forums that Sasquatch has been broke since version 10.1 and still is with 11. You might want to do a search for that info. Chuck has also stated that FiberFX has some issues that will get resolved with SP1. Apparently hair is an issue for the time being.:D

Doh! I was hoping for nice grass...

tcoursey
02-21-2012, 09:41 PM
I urge you to download the trial and download the trial content.

As for grass there is a very nice demo scene with 3D grass using Instances. Way better way then fiberfx anyway.

I Installed the trial right along side my registered 10.1 and found things to be to my liking, so we bought the new version right away.

metahumanity
02-21-2012, 10:44 PM
doh! I was hoping for nice grass...

:-)

Lewis
02-22-2012, 12:55 AM

Well then you are ready for Lw11 Instancing, easy grass with billions of polys which is better way of making grass anyway than any fibers could do.

stiff paper
02-22-2012, 02:04 AM
Instanced grass can look very nice:
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=101604
...and in 11 you don't need a plugin for instancing.

prometheus
02-22-2012, 02:17 AM
thereīs an instancing scene with grass within the lw trial I think, looked quite good.

The shadow caster for getting shadows on background compositing is really sweet, simple but a workflow saver.

Lensflares in VPR are really sweet too, nice for tweaking stars or space engines, think it just miss glow behind objects when used in vpr.

Thereīs a nice modeler tool called fill solid, wich letīs you create any geometry or flat polys and fill them with points, actually very helpful to create cloud clusters.

Bullet is quite sweet and easy to use, thou I suspect It might need some more additional node control and interaction with particles in a near future.

Instancing is handled very well it seems, I throwned in a daz figures with bones and animated inside daz, and voila I got several thousands of jumping fools, so it seem to handle that well too with full bone structure.
Daz figures from the new free daz studio 4, and exported through fbx.

fracture to break up stuff can either be used in modeler or applied in Layout directly.

Havenīt had time to check flocking yet that much, it was a little quirky, but I think It has been solved a lot with the last update..

Michael

wrench
02-22-2012, 03:26 AM
Thereīs a nice modeler tool called fill solid, wich letīs you create any geometry or flat polys and fill them with points, actually very helpful to create cloud clusters.

I don't know that one and I wrote the docs! :D There *is* a nice Modeler tool called "Align to Plane"... :)

B

shrox
02-22-2012, 09:08 AM
...Lensflares in VPR are really sweet too, nice for tweaking stars or space engines, think it just miss glow behind objects when used in vpr...
Michael

Lens flares!!!! Any improvement? Are they affected by camera zoom yet?

prometheus
02-22-2012, 10:26 AM
Lens flares!!!! Any improvement? Are they affected by camera zoom yet?

No..that doesnīt seem to work, dont think thereīs any changes within lensflares itself, just that you can view them with all star filters etc with VPR.
fade with distance and nominal distance works to in VPR.

Pretty much all settings in there for lens flares can interactly bee seen very fast in VPR almost realtime acutally,as mentioned..the only thing not being rendered properly is glow behind object..fade behind object works thou.

I hope they continue improve VPR with bloom (wich I believe was seen in core vpr) and glow too.
http://vimeo.com/36512425

Michael

bazsa73
02-22-2012, 10:44 AM
At last I can make my short: The Lens Flare Wars Episode 1
Anyone wants to join in?
The story is imbecil, lensflaric beings fights each other, the only allowed effect of course is lens flare but without limitations. So it could be, The Unlimited Lens Flare Wars.... One, taddaaaaaa, tadadadaaaaaa, tattatarara tattarara tattatarara tadaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, tadaaraaaaaa, tidiiiiiii tidiriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii, tattarara tattara tattara

prometheus
02-22-2012, 10:47 AM
Anyone wants to join in?
The story is imbecil, lensflaric beings fights each other, the only allowed effect of course is lens flare but without limitations. So it could be, The Unlimited Lens Flare Wars.... One, taddaaaaaa, tadadadaaaaaa, tattatarara tattarara tattatarara tadaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, tadaaraaaaaa, tidiiiiiii tidiriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii, tattarara tattara tattara

Not sure if you are singing out of tune now:)

Michael

bazsa73
02-22-2012, 10:49 AM
sure you recognized duel of fate, dont you? :)

shrox
02-22-2012, 11:00 AM
Anyone wants to join in?

May I remind you this is not the 90's...

prometheus
02-22-2012, 11:01 AM
sure you recognized duel of fate, dont you? :)

Ah..jeezz..of course, I thought it was the very first star wars tune:D

Anyway Im back to fracture some stuff right now to use with bullet, using voronoi and background points, so you can draw a sphere and flatten it, merge points.. to get that spider pattern and use that as a cookie cutter with fracture...good for bullet through glasses for example.

I got a case of cold though, got to hit the sack really, maybe thatīs why I didnīt recognize the tune.

Michael

shrox
02-22-2012, 11:02 AM
No..that doesnīt seem to work, dont think thereīs any changes within lensflares itself, just that you can view them with all star filters etc with VPR.
fade with distance and nominal distance works to in VPR...
Michael

Guess I'll have to keep pasting the lens zoom curve into the lens flare intensity curves...such an obvious relationship too.

3djock
02-22-2012, 11:21 AM
I don't know that one and I wrote the docs! :D There *is* a nice Modeler tool called "Align to Plane"... :)

B

I could not find any tool align to plane, only Align Points to Axis, there is FillSolid

cagey5
02-22-2012, 11:27 AM
Fill Solid looks to be very handy. One bug associated with it though. I assumed use would be based on background layer.

Running it on an empty layer crashes 100% of the time.

wrench
02-22-2012, 11:46 AM
I could not find any tool align to plane, only Align Points to Axis, there is FillSolid

Align to Plane is at the bottom of the Modeler interface, next to Surface and Make.

B

prometheus
02-22-2012, 12:28 PM
Fill Solid looks to be very handy. One bug associated with it though. I assumed use would be based on background layer.

Running it on an empty layer crashes 100% of the time.

Uhmm..Bug? why run on an empty layer or background layer, donīt see the point with that..works perfectly on the same layer you have your geometry on.

Michael

prometheus
02-22-2012, 12:50 PM
Some other stuff not really mentioned properly in the lightwave feature pages..
The expansion of how lightwave can handle several millions of points or particles.
Before we had a 1 million limit.

with the lw 11 release I could reach over 16 millions of points to render with hvīs...and I stopped there, do not know what the limit is actually, might depend on ram etc.

Likewise I think I got up to 6 millions of particles, before I stopped testing, do not know how far I can get with that either.

Of course using this much amounts ends up with the system halting for a while before it applies the amount of particles or points.

Michael

cagey5
02-22-2012, 12:51 PM
Exactly. It works perfectly when used as it should. Still shouldn't crash the program if clicked by accident on an empty layer. That's all I was saying. So yes that's a bug in anybodys book.

shrox
02-22-2012, 12:53 PM
Great, this is the stuff I wanted to know. So it's safe to move from 9.6.1 to 11.x?

stiff paper
02-22-2012, 01:12 PM
Great, this is the stuff I wanted to know. So it's safe to move from 9.6.1 to 11.x?

Well, there's a good question to ask:

Is anybody out there running 11 and keeping 9.6 installed? Can you verify that it's possible to have both installed and they'll both work properly?

prometheus
02-22-2012, 01:17 PM
Well, there's a good question to ask:

Is anybody out there running 11 and keeping 9.6 installed? Can you verify that it's possible to have both installed and they'll both work properly?

I have 9.6 installed to and there seem to be no issues with it.

The only issue I had was the color profil change within 10. to 10.1 wich a lot of times manage to screw up the UI..but since lw 11 seem to be working nicely now, I think I will remove all 10 version, but actually keep 9.6 wich was quite stable...and some modeling tools might work best in there.

Michael

shrox
02-22-2012, 01:21 PM
I wouldn't mind going between 9.6.1 for modeling and 11 for anim. Is the .lwo format still the same?

prometheus
02-22-2012, 01:24 PM
I wouldn't mind going between 9.6.1 for modeling and 11 for anim. Is the .lwo format still the same?

donīt think they have done any big changes to that, at least old scenes and lwoīs reads as it should.

creating a box and metaform it in lw 11, saving out and open in 9.6 modeler doesnīt cause any issues either:)

both running at the same time.

Got to eat some eggs now and crawl back to bed, I need at least 9 hr sleep before work tomorrow...got a cold and such.

Michael

stiff paper
02-22-2012, 02:21 PM
I have 9.6 installed to and there seem to be no issues with it.

The only issue I had was the color profil change within 10. to 10.1 wich a lot of times manage to screw up the UI..but since lw 11 seem to be working nicely now, I think I will remove all 10 version, but actually keep 9.6 wich was quite stable...and some modeling tools might work best in there.

Thanks for that. Yeah, I was thinking mainly of any plugins that might not work in newer versions.

Dexter2999
02-22-2012, 02:45 PM
donīt think they have done any big changes to that, at least old scenes and lwoīs reads as it should.

Anyone know if this is an issue for sure? Because as I recall there is the issue between 10.0 and 10.1 scenes. So, this doesn't also happen between 9.6 and 11?

And for clarification, I never ran across the issue (with the colors flipping out and whatnot) was this specifically a backwards compatability issue with 10.1 scenes in 10.0? And do we know this is not going to be an issue with going from 11 backwards to 10.0 or 9.6?

-FP-
02-22-2012, 03:44 PM

2005-era Sasquatch works great with the 11 trial. No surprises.

Snosrap
02-22-2012, 05:18 PM

Um why? What does 9.6.1 have over 11? Nothing that I'm aware.

shrox
02-22-2012, 05:25 PM
Um why? What does 9.6.1 have over 11? Nothing that I'm aware.

Michael's input.

... but actually keep 9.6 wich was quite stable...and some modeling tools might work best in there.

Michael

Andy Meyer
02-22-2012, 05:34 PM
shrox. you will not get 100% identical renders in 9.6 and 11. so i keep 9.6 for 9.6 projects and start new projects with 11. imho it is never a good idea to change versions for a current project, unless there are reasons to do so.

Snosrap
02-22-2012, 06:02 PM
9.6.1 might be super stable, but I'd never go back. The quality of my renders have gone way up with v10 and above. Modeling is virtually the same - rock solid too.

shrox
02-22-2012, 09:16 PM
So all this is true?

http://www.newtek.com/features-lightwave-menu.html

Greenlaw
02-23-2012, 01:25 AM
I keep 9.6.1 online but ever since 10.1 came out, I don't think I've gone back to 9.6.1 once. I've had 11 online for months but, darn it, I've been way too busy with other things (non-3D related) to do anything with it yet.

FWIW, I had good luck with FFX in 10.1 for hair and fur. Others have had mixed results, so it depends on what you're trying to do with it. As somebody above noted, FFX for 11 is getting an SP1 makeover for later release. I may need it by then so I'm looking forward to it.

G.

wrench
02-23-2012, 06:09 AM
So all this is true?

http://www.newtek.com/features-lightwave-menu.html

Yes, have a look at the manual presented on the download page.

B

rcallicotte
02-23-2012, 06:53 AM
Thanks for this thread. It's been very helpful. :thumbsup:

Anthony
02-23-2012, 09:19 AM
Is GoZ currently functional with LW11? Or does something need to be done on the ZBrush side of things to make them link up correctly (since the ZB plugin won't search for LW unless it's updated??)?

wrench
02-23-2012, 09:41 AM
Yes it works great. Normally you shouldn't need to do anything on the ZB side of things once you hit GoZ in Modeler or Layout, but you can always reset the path in ZBrush's options if it's not working.

B