PDA

View Full Version : Congrats Guys!

Imatk
02-21-2012, 11:12 AM
Ok I've been using Lightwave for more than ten years now.

11 is the most incredible version and significant change that I've ever seen-- period.

You guys have truly hit it out of the park on this release.

The bullet dynamics is a complete game-changer. The only thing I worry about is that I may be out of a job since it's so incredibly easy to get stuff to look so incredibly good.

I sincerely hope you guys get the word out on this release in a HUGE way. Because I've not seen anything that can touch the dynamics system you have in any other app.

Not to mention VPR and other things, which are incredible. I've not even delved into HVs yet so I can't even comment on any of the new stuff there.

And I understand you'll be adding soft-body dynamics to the package as well which, if they are ANYTHING like the hard-body stuff... forget it... no contest anymore.

We used to use Maya (did use Maya up until yesterday that is) for all of our dynamics needs when it came to complicated calculations.

I can safely say that I will NOT be using Maya for any hard-body dynamic simulations-- PERIOD.

Thanks Newtek for making an old Lightwave artist's life easier. Even though you may be putting me out of a job hehe.... don't make it TOO easy... wait... to late ;)

tcoursey
02-21-2012, 09:44 PM
+1 I agree 11 is a total winner!

Matt
02-22-2012, 01:24 AM
Wow, thanks for the kind words Imatk!

lino.grandi
02-22-2012, 02:03 AM
Yeah, thank you so much!
This kind of messages are really giving us a lot of strength!
We love LightWave, and we'll do our best to improve the user experience (and yes, Rob, Matt and me are above all USERS) always more!

Thank you again.

prometheus
02-22-2012, 03:25 AM
Havenīt installed the final release yet..just tested the pre-release, have to wait to the weekend, but if the stability seems good, I would say that this must probably be the best release in years..even thou I suspect that all the underhood works might even boost it a whole lot more with a lot of core platform technology in upcoming updates.
:thumbsup:

Michael

Matt
02-22-2012, 03:53 AM
Lino is right, as much as we do value constructive criticism, every now and again, it is nice to hear when we're doing something right, it's what gets me up in the morning - knowing we are moving toward a better LightWave for our users.

adrian
02-22-2012, 05:06 AM
Having just watched the features video on the NT front page and read the article on CG society both these got me really excited about upgrading (I'm on 9.6). However I had a nagging feeling "what do LW user's *really* think about it?"

This thread is exactly the kind of feedback I hoped to read!

I haven't delved into animation much but seeing the new features just makes me want to get right into it.

So it's just a question of where I buy it from, Newtek or Newtek Europe (I'm in the UK).

netstile123
02-22-2012, 05:37 AM
I really like the depth of field camera option that lets you see the range. That may have been there before but I found it now. And yes- setting up bullit was very easy and a person does not need really any background to learn how to use the new fetures. I have only tried a few trial programs other than lightwave and lightwave with the way they have it layed out did a great job.

Matt
02-22-2012, 06:03 AM
Having just watched the features video on the NT front page and read the article on CG society both these got me really excited about upgrading (I'm on 9.6). However I had a nagging feeling "what do LW user's *really* think about it?"

This thread is exactly the kind of feedback I hoped to read!

I haven't delved into animation much but seeing the new features just makes me want to get right into it.

So it's just a question of where I buy it from, Newtek or Newtek Europe (I'm in the UK).

For upgrades where you don't want a box, just download, you can do it from NewTek. If you require actual shipping, you need to go through a local reseller, it's cheaper anyway (shipping etc.)

When I was in the UK I bought from http://www.onevideo.co.uk but I don't see LightWave 11 in their store yet.

lino.grandi
02-22-2012, 07:10 AM
There's something new about NewTek in UK:

http://www.newtek.com/contact-us.html

;)

rcallicotte
02-22-2012, 07:16 AM
Great to hear - I can't wait to buy it. This is what I remember from time past with Newtek - QUALITY and EXCITEMENT.

I truly can't wait to get my copy and begin trying everything. Wahoo. :lwicon:

adrian
02-22-2012, 07:32 AM
I've emailed both Newtek Europe and the new regional office in the UK about upgrade prices. Ideally I'd want it on CD I think so would be happy to pay a bit extra for it.

I'm also going to buy Dan Ablan's sig courseware for 11 as it looks like it introduces all those cool new animation features using an actual project.

Well done Newtek - I haven't felt this excited by LightWave in ages! Maybe I should get out more :-)

tcoursey
02-22-2012, 02:59 PM
Havenīt installed the final release yet..just tested the pre-release, have to wait to the weekend, but if the stability seems good, I would say that this must probably be the best release in years..even thou I suspect that all the underhood works might even boost it a whole lot more with a lot of core platform technology in upcoming updates.
:thumbsup:

Michael
Michael, I jumped right in on 11 from 10.1, in the middle of a deadline project! Crazy I know. Setup BNR to work (it has some issues but Paul is working on them, doesn't keep you from rendering though). I have not had one crash yet (oh crap, that's going to do it isn't it!) anyway, seems very stable. Have done bullet and instancing quite a bit. The instancing is the MAIN reason we jumped on it. Very fast and excellent workflow so far.

Thanks guys/gals! 11 Rocks the crap out of any other release to date.

robpowers3d
02-22-2012, 03:29 PM
Ok I've been using Lightwave for more than ten years now.

11 is the most incredible version and significant change that I've ever seen-- period.

You guys have truly hit it out of the park on this release.

The bullet dynamics is a complete game-changer. The only thing I worry about is that I may be out of a job since it's so incredibly easy to get stuff to look so incredibly good.

I sincerely hope you guys get the word out on this release in a HUGE way. Because I've not seen anything that can touch the dynamics system you have in any other app.

Not to mention VPR and other things, which are incredible. I've not even delved into HVs yet so I can't even comment on any of the new stuff there.

And I understand you'll be adding soft-body dynamics to the package as well which, if they are ANYTHING like the hard-body stuff... forget it... no contest anymore.

We used to use Maya (did use Maya up until yesterday that is) for all of our dynamics needs when it came to complicated calculations.

I can safely say that I will NOT be using Maya for any hard-body dynamic simulations-- PERIOD.

Thanks Newtek for making an old Lightwave artist's life easier. Even though you may be putting me out of a job hehe.... don't make it TOO easy... wait... to late ;)

Thank you so much for your comments it means so much to myself and the entire development team. We are proud of this release and look forward to seeing the great work that everyone will do with it.

inakito
02-22-2012, 03:34 PM
Im so proud of being a Lightwave user/teacher, and even prouder of seeing the way development is taking. Im not worry at all about being unnemployed... on the other side, people/studios using any other software may be scary as hell to see what is coming from Newtek...
Big thanks and congratulations!!!

ivanze
02-22-2012, 03:35 PM
I had the opportunity to meet Rob Powers (nice guy btw) at last NAB show in Las Vegas, and from what I saw he was very enthusiastic about Lightwave and his future, and now you can see he is really committed to make it better and better. Congrats to all the team: Rob, Matt, Lino and all the rest of the LW team.

Rob, please donīt forget about GoAE. :)

50one
02-22-2012, 03:50 PM
Well, haven't got a chance so far to play with trial due to small mistake I made during the registration:) but after playing with the disco lightwave I can see it's crazy good, rendering speed improvement and shadow catcher FTW! Looking forward to what future brings.

magoo
02-22-2012, 05:49 PM
Been using LW11 in production for a couple of weeks now and it's been very nice indeed.

Still getting my head around some things but many new features are really great to use.

Keep up the good work!