PDA

View Full Version : Where is the color picker ok button?

lertola2
02-21-2012, 10:00 AM
It seems to be a big problem that there is no cancel or ok button in the lightwave 11 color picker. I am not sure if this is just a mac issue or not. When you click on a color chip in 11 there is no ok button. That means that you can't dismiss the picker by pressing return and you can not cancel any changes that you make. Does anyone have a solution or is this just something to live with?

-Joe

Sensei
02-21-2012, 10:05 AM
On Windows color picker dialog window has ok, cancel buttons, reacts to ESC..

Matt
02-22-2012, 01:32 AM
It seems to be a big problem that there is no cancel or ok button in the lightwave 11 color picker. I am not sure if this is just a mac issue or not. When you click on a color chip in 11 there is no ok button. That means that you can't dismiss the picker by pressing return and you can not cancel any changes that you make. Does anyone have a solution or is this just something to live with?

-Joe

It certainly should have! I see it here (Windows). Anyone else missing a button on the Mac?

UnCommonGrafx
02-22-2012, 04:04 AM
With the default color picker, only the red X will dismiss the dialog. On a mac, no, no ok, cancel nor interaction with the keyboard.

p.s., I will go in and see if it is different with another color picker.

Matt
02-22-2012, 06:06 AM
Do you guys mean the default *OS* Mac picker or the LW one?

wrench
02-22-2012, 09:44 AM
Joe are you on a very small screen? Is the picker too big for some reason?

B

lertola2
02-22-2012, 02:31 PM
Joe are you on a very small screen? Is the picker too big for some reason?

B

No there are just no buttons. It is like this in Lightwave 10 also I think. It is one of the reasons I never really got into using Lightwave 10. I have Mac os version 10.6.7 in case that is relevant.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=102007&stc=1&d=1329946023

Sensei
02-22-2012, 02:35 PM
Isn't red button close window button in left top title bar, or ESC key canceling it?

wrench
02-22-2012, 03:17 PM
I'm sure I've seen this elsewhere... Do you have your system font display bigger than 100%? Do you have other issues with text overflowing buttons etc.?

B

shrox
02-22-2012, 04:00 PM
No there are just no buttons. It is like this in Lightwave 10 also I think. It is one of the reasons I never really got into using Lightwave 10. I have Mac os version 10.6.7 in case that is relevant.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=102007&stc=1&d=1329946023

The dialog box is fully stretched? You pulled on the little tabby thing in the lower right corner?

lertola2
02-22-2012, 08:53 PM
Isn't red button close window button in left top title bar, or ESC key canceling it?

The red button and the escape key dismiss the window but do not cancel the changes. I guess we could use the escape key as the new OK button but that seems weird.

I'm sure I've seen this elsewhere... Do you have your system font display bigger than 100%? Do you have other issues with text overflowing buttons etc.?

B

No the system fonts have not been changed and I have no other text issues. This is happening on my home computer and two computers at the office.

The dialog box is fully stretched? You pulled on the little tabby thing in the lower right corner?

The tabby thing will change the box size but does not reveal any buttons.

Does every one else but me have functioning buttons in their color picker windows?

-Joe

littlewaves
02-23-2012, 05:07 AM
It's been like this since 10 on the mac. I'm sure we were talking about it when the LW10 trial was first available but I can't really be bothered to go looking for that thread now.

Surprised it's not been fixed yet. Maybe none of us actually got around to submitting a bug report.

I could get into my usual gripes about how Newtek don't care much for Mac users but I've said it all before and it just gets boring I'm sure you'll agree.

wrench
02-23-2012, 05:49 AM
What res are you running your Mac at Joe? If it's very high, it's possible that the Mac has decided unilaterally to change the font size and LightWave can't cope with that.

B

lertola2
03-29-2012, 06:51 PM
It looks like Newtek is not going to fix this. Here is the response from the bug report:

"yes, it is ... and that's actually Apple's fault.

The color picker is provided by the OS, and the difference between a Carbon app (9.6) and a Cocoa app (9.6.1 and higher) is that in Cocoa, it doesn't provide an OK and Cancel buttons. They kinda changed the spec and made it as a non-modal window.

Closing the picker results in "choosing that color" but there is no "oops, I didn't want that color".

Until we can do something code-wise to do something else and somehow re-purpose around the limitations of the OS picker - you'll need to use the LW-Colorpicker or some other 3rd party picker.

Not really a bug that has an easy fix."

I find the lack of the OK and Cancel buttons to be incredibly annoying.

Scazzino
03-29-2012, 09:04 PM
That is correct. If you open TextEdit. Select Format->Font->Show Colors it opens the colors palette that stays open so that you can change the colors. There are no Open/Cancel buttons. But you don't need to close the panel to accept the color. It stays open and the selected text color changes as you change colors on the panel. The problem in LightWave is that it's using it like a modal dialog, waiting for you to close the panel to change the color. That's why not having buttons is confusing, the now non-modal panel is being used as a modal panel and changing LightWave to work properly with a non-modal color picker when a modal color picker is expected may be more work than it may seem.