PDA

View Full Version : HDRI3D magazine

02-21-2012, 08:43 AM
I want to buy some issues of HDRI3D magazine, especially the number where Gerardo talks of multipass rendering, but the magazine website is offline..
Do you know a way to buy them?

:help:

Markc
02-21-2012, 11:39 AM
I know they have been absent for a fair while now.
I miss the mag!
Only option is to find used copies :(

SteveH
02-21-2012, 11:50 AM
[email protected] - do you know which specific issue those are (that cover multi pass rendering)? If I have them I'm sure we can work something out.

steve

Waves of light
02-21-2012, 12:58 PM
I have issues 1-12 upstairs - Nov 2004 was the first edition.

02-21-2012, 02:51 PM
I can see some issues but not all of them with archive.org...
I surely need issues n° 22/26/29/30..
Multipass rendering must be in issues 26 and 30 I think, from William Vaughan and Gerardo..

gerardstrada
02-21-2012, 03:42 PM
Hey! Thanks for the interest. The article was in Issue# 30 (http://web.archive.org/web/20110711161128/http://www.hdri3d.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=163:c30&layout=blog&Itemid=100)

Pitifully, the website is not longer available anymore. I signed away the rights of my articles to DMG Publishing (http://www.dmgpublishing.com) (and I never charged any money for them), but DMG Publishing website is not longer available anymore as well. If the publisher will be out of business permanently, I would like to share the articles I wrote for them in the Lightwiki Tutorials section, perhaps; but don't know if that would be permissible. I've tried to contact them privately but I haven't received any replay from January of 2011.

[email protected], sorry about my PM box (problem is solved) :)

Gerardo

Beth Jacobi
02-21-2012, 04:07 PM
HIf the publisher will be out of business permanently, I would like to share the articles I wrote for them in the Lightwiki Tutorials section, perhaps; but don't know if that would be permissible.
Considering they owe MANY people money for unfulfilled subscriptions, I doubt that there would be any problem providing the tutorials for free. And considering the kind of people that they were, I would think that the publisher would not mind anyway - they were good people.

gerardstrada
02-21-2012, 04:27 PM
Considering they owe MANY people money for unfulfilled subscriptions, I doubt that there would be any problem providing the tutorials for free. And considering the kind of people that they were, I would think that the publisher would not mind anyway - they were good people.
Yes, I was considering that, but Lightwiki administrators would have to agree about posting the magazine material too. Let's see what they say :)

Gerardo

Dexter2999
02-21-2012, 05:04 PM
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=93407&highlight=Janus+video

Cageman has a series of videos specifically for Janus workflow but still very eyeopening about pass/nodal workflow.

I would love to see all of the HDRI digital content over on Lightwiki. That would be HUGE.

PeteS
02-21-2012, 06:00 PM
Shame. Was a great mag and very LW friendly.

Dexter2999
02-21-2012, 06:27 PM
I wasn't aware that HDRI was an amalgam of Keyframe (yes I knew it was Keyframe) and another magazine, Highend.

When I Googled "HDRI 3D magazine" I came across some old posts on another forum. WOW, those former Highend subscribers were royally P.O.'ed at there being Lightwave or even Modo content in the mag.

Lots of cancelled subscriptions there.

OnlineRender
02-22-2012, 05:30 AM
Yes, I was considering that, but Lightwiki administrators would have to agree about posting the magazine material too. Let's see what they say :)

Gerardo

personally I have no problems with it , the Nodal Tone mapping tut is excellent http://lightwiki.net/wiki/Nodal_Tone_Mapping ,however we are in the middle of upgrading which was set back a few days due to me not having full speed net , I would maybe suggest speaking with Ben first he has more insight and knowledge especially regarding publishing rights and so on ...

overall I cant see there being in issue if the company is AWOL , but again best to speak with Ben first

gerardstrada
02-22-2012, 04:29 PM
Thanks Steph. I contacted Ben through his lightwiki email (http://lightwiki.net/wiki/Special:EmailUser/BeeVee) yesterday.
Waiting for replay, but as you, I think it won't be problem mostly because the wiki environment allows for updates to the articles and tutorials according to the tools evolution. Guess that eventually, the articles won't be exactly as they were originally published.

Gerardo

P.D. Btw, I've kept the rights of my articles' images; then there's definitively no problem in that aspect.

OnlineRender
02-22-2012, 05:48 PM
Im not 100% sure if that email for Ben is still active , if not I will ask him tomorrow at some point ,cheers Btw

gerardstrada
02-22-2012, 06:10 PM
Very appreciated, Steph.

Thanks,

Gerardo

SteveH
02-26-2012, 08:47 AM
Any word on this folks?
I don't have this issue and definately could use some information on rendering in passes. Putting the old article up on the Lightwiki would be awesome!

gerardstrada
02-28-2012, 04:12 PM
Don't know if Steph have had the chance to talk with Ben about this topic, but I haven't received any answer yet. Guess the lightwiki email is invalid. It seems also the website is in some kind of maintenance as Steph commented since it's not possible to edit or add any tutorial right now (at least with my username).

Gerardo

OnlineRender
02-29-2012, 02:01 AM
I spoke with Ben that day ,I'll try and get him again and maybe post here if not "ben dot vost at lightwiki dot net" is his corresponding email for the site ... for some reason the wiki went into melt down and decided to block everyone I don't know if its syswikiopp error or DB not playing correct with Joomla, the new site is being transferred over tonight all going well it should be running Thursday -Friday latest "I hope " apologize for not being so active no internet for 20days and home issues kinda threw me off axis .

gerardstrada
02-29-2012, 03:14 PM
No worries, Steph. Glad to hear it's a transitory issue. Thanks for the new email, btw, I've contacted Ben through a PM in this forums yesterday.

Thanks for your help on this and your work in lightwiki :thumbsup:

Gerardo

Julez4001
03-01-2012, 09:42 AM
As a community should we put all the lightwave content/tutorials with the authors' consent on line via Lightwiki?

OnlineRender
03-02-2012, 07:37 PM
lightwiki server is acting up , the local-live is transferred over however its like stopping someone's heart and restarting it , atm its non-rhythmic heavy sql loads for some reason working on it , sorry about the delay ...

JeffrySG
03-03-2012, 05:17 PM
I can see some issues but not all of them with archive.org...
I surely need issues n° 22/26/29/30..
Multipass rendering must be in issues 26 and 30 I think, from William Vaughan and Gerardo..

I sent you a PM. :)

gerardstrada
03-07-2012, 04:31 AM
Julez, if you are referring to content/tutorials along the web, guess there would be no problem if consent is made to the authors in a case-by-case basis.

By the way, I've posted the multipass article in the new lightwiki:

http://lightwiki.net/wiki/Multipass_Rendering_with_Filter_Node_Editors

I still have to update the article according to the new versions of DP Filter Node Editors. I have also to discover how to upload a rar/zip file to share the node setups. If that's not possible, I'll use an external hosting.

I haven't had the chance to talk with Ben for the consultation, but if this is not allowed, please feel free to delete it.

Thanks to Steph for his great work in updating the new lightwiki - nice design!

Gerardo

papou
03-07-2012, 05:03 AM
thank you Gerardo, It's always a plaisure to read you.
It' a nice idea to collect your td share on lightwiki.

OnlineRender
03-07-2012, 05:16 AM
quality article thanks for the add ... some of you may notice the new wiki skin and we would like to thank the boys over at blender for sharing there source and making it free for use/all to use , it is an excellent and more fluent way to use mediawiki , we will be adding treeandmenu soon as well as "RE"re-updating LightWiki main

also on the wiki part I would like to start building a coherent structured user manual ...only issue being I honestly am the worse person in the world for grammar and fluent writing ...

Mitja
03-07-2012, 06:50 AM
Gerardo, this is a huge resource! I'll need only a small percent of all the info in there, but it's really unvaluable for me! Thanks!
I have another dilemma, I think you are the only one that can save: how do you apply DOF behind transparent objects in post?

SteveH
03-07-2012, 07:22 AM
Thank you Gerardo! That was a very well written detailed tutorial. Really awesome - Thanks! :thumbsup:

OnlineRender
03-07-2012, 07:33 AM
site me drop on and off for the next few hours ..."sorry" wiki part should be ok , but no login atm

H_Molla
03-13-2012, 07:24 AM
Thank you Gerardo! happy to have online version of it...
I miss HDRI & they still own me money, i did pay for 2 years & received only 4 issues..

vector
03-13-2012, 09:48 AM
Muchas gracias/Thank you very much, Gerardo!!

zatara
03-14-2012, 07:39 AM
thaknk you very much gerardo!!!

zatara
03-14-2012, 10:09 AM
thank you gerardo. I am already studying your article.
If you could help me with one problem, I would be very glad. Thanks in advance.

For example, I have a scene with a ball and a floor. Is it possible to have an occlusion passa for each element separately. In one image is there the occlusion for the ball, another for the floor. And it is possible to have anothe passa for the shadows.

I know that I can have anothe scene and turn on ''invisible to camera'' for each object. I am posting an image that shows what I am talking about. And I also posting the scene.

Thanks very much!!!!

gerardstrada
03-15-2012, 04:54 PM
Hey! Thanks for the response!

Papou, much appreciated! Hope to share more things soon.
Mitja, as far as I know, LW offers no way at the moment to render that kind of data in hidden geometry yet, at least in a single render. Then we need 2 depth passes in those cases.
SteveH, thanks. Hope it may be helpful.
Hesham, I'll try to update the article according with the new options that the DP FNE has now.
Victor, Gracias! ahora sólo quedaría traducir el artículo! :D
Zatara, Obrigado. If LW could render hidden geometry data in a single render, that would be possible. Right now the best option for that kind of task is Janus (http://faulknermano.com/janus/overview.html) (an excellent and very complete Multi-layering/Multi-pass Rendering System) which is compatible with several multipass solutions including those of Denis Pontonnier.

Gerardo

zatara
03-16-2012, 05:02 AM
Hi Gerardo, thanks for response, I will have a look at Janus. Muito Obrigado!!!

Mitja
03-16-2012, 08:43 AM
This seems to be the right thread to ask this.
I read Gerardo's renderpasses tutorial on lightwiki and I'm trying to get the objectID and surfaceID. I haven't tryied the surfaceID yet because I'm stuck. I just can't get the the object mattes, I get only one colour. Please check the attached scene, I really can't understand what I'm doing wrong! Thanks!

dpont
03-16-2012, 09:05 AM
This seems to be the right thread to ask this.
I read Gerardo's renderpasses tutorial on lightwiki and I'm trying to get the objectID and surfaceID. I haven't tryied the surfaceID yet because I'm stuck. I just can't get the the object mattes, I get only one colour. Please check the attached scene, I really can't understand what I'm doing wrong! Thanks!

I can't see an ObjectID setup in this scene,
there are also a lot of locked Buffers in
the Image node editor.

Things are going to be simpler in LW10/11 and DP Filter.

Denis.

Mitja
03-16-2012, 09:29 AM
I can't see an ObjectID setup in this scene,
there are also a lot of locked Buffers in
the Image node editor.

Things are going to be simpler in LW10/11 and DP Filter.

Denis.
I'm sorry but I don't understand, I thought this would be an objID setup (with the random node set to object), or not?

dpont
03-16-2012, 09:41 AM
I'm sorry but I don't understand, I thought this would be an objID setup (with the random node set to object), or not?

It seems that many users miss this point,
in a postprocess there's no Spot Info or internal
nodal access like for surfacing,
so the Random node couldn't find an objectID,
except for post-rendering in Pixel Filter node editor
which give a quasi-complete Spot Info,
the only way in LW10/11 is to get this info
from a LW Buffer.

Denis.

Mitja
03-16-2012, 09:53 AM
I feel even dumber than I usually am... I followed this tut, read twice now, and I still don't see what I'm doing wrong. I guess I'll figure out some day, somehow... Anyway thanks for you responses, you are a great resource for all! :thumbsup: http://lightwiki.net/mediawiki/images/f/fa/Fig32.jpg

dpont
03-16-2012, 10:12 AM
I feel even dumber than I usually am... I followed this tut, read twice now, and I still don't see what I'm doing wrong...

This image shows the Pixel Filter node editor,
and your scene has an Image Filter node editor setup,
Gerardo wrote this for LW 9.6, when there was
no LW ObjectID Buffer, and as I said above
he was using the post-rendering feature of PFNE,
also named the "3D Global Shading",
then the ObjectID is available for the Random node
with its "Object Mode",
but this required much more rendering time,
so If you are in LW10/11
I recommend to use the LW Buffers, with
the "Multithreading/Persp.AA" option this is
sufficient for unlocking the Global Buffer
and add anti-aliasing.

Gerardo mentionned that some of his setups
need to be rewritten for LW10 and above.

Denis.

dpont
03-16-2012, 10:37 AM
I posted this a few weeks ago,
this is for an aniti-aliased SurfaceID with random colors,

For ObjectID just change the buffer,
each time the buffer must be enabled in the main panel
of the node editor, for saving the global buffer to an image file,
just add a Get Global Buffer node, no connection,
open its panel and check the Buffer, format, file path ..

Denis.

Edit: the Random Scalar node is a LW11 native node.

Mitja
03-16-2012, 01:17 PM
I posted this a few weeks ago,
this is for an aniti-aliased SurfaceID with random colors,

For ObjectID just change the buffer,
each time the buffer must be enabled in the main panel
of the node editor, for saving the global buffer to an image file,
just add a Get Global Buffer node, no connection,
open its panel and check the Buffer, format, file path ..

Denis.

Edit: the Random Scalar node is a LW11 native node.

Got it! Tryed and it works! Many thanks!
It's not so simple to accomplish something without the base knowledge (that obviously I don't have), so I have to learn. Thanks again!

gerardstrada
03-16-2012, 02:00 PM
Have to include that node setup in the article. Other way could be also using a multicolored Gradient node by skipping the color that will be used in the composition as key color.

As Denis said, this is one of those setups that is simplified in new LW versions and definitively will have to update in lightwiki.

Gerardo

OnlineRender
03-16-2012, 02:02 PM
V1.2 will go live soon
just cleaning up some stuff

Mitja
03-17-2012, 06:02 AM
Just one thing: it seems to me that the matte isn't antialiased using this setup. But it could be, again, my mistake.

dpont
03-17-2012, 06:51 AM
ObjectID and SurfaceID LW Buffers are not antialiased,
until you connected them in a Global Buffer with the
appropriate "Multithreading/Perp.AA" option,
the antialiasing including oversampling, DOF and PRMB
get the same subsampling than the current rendered image,
but reconstruction filtering is done in the Global Buffer system.

Denis.

kfinla
04-27-2012, 05:00 PM
Interestingly story. I noticed some time ago, an animator at work was propping up his Cintiq with 4 magazines, the top being the spiderman3 issue of HDRI. Today I asked if I could swap out those magazines for an equally thick book. He then told me he got them from a bookcase around the corner. I am now in possession of issues 12-24..

Dexter2999
04-27-2012, 05:04 PM
interestingly story. I noticed some time ago, an animator at work was propping up his cintiq with 4 magazines, the top being the spiderman3 issue of hdri. Today i asked if i could swap out those magazines for an equally thick book. He then told me he got them from a bookcase around the corner. I am now in possession of issues 12-24..

score!