PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 11 officially released

50one
02-20-2012, 11:38 AM
Congrats on the CGS feature, that was a shocker to see a LW appearance there:D:thumbsup:

http://www.cgsociety.org/index.php/CGSFeatures/CGSFeatureSpecial/lightwave_11_beta_testers

GandB
02-20-2012, 08:34 PM
I notice that the date of that article is the 24th of this month?

Does this mean we can talk about anything to do with LW11, without getting the thread shutdown again?

mborge
02-20-2012, 09:51 PM
Yeah, I'm confused about this. I haven't received an email or anything so is this official or is the 24th?

Cryonic
02-21-2012, 12:04 AM
Newtek released the information on their Facebook page, so...

djwaterman
02-21-2012, 10:37 AM
The website calls it 11 and not pre-release so it's released.

K-Dawg
03-06-2012, 03:44 AM
I have no idea where to put this at, so I'll put it here.

Since LW11 is released I had a few questions.

Is the Integration of CC Subpatches fully fixed now? In 9.61 you can't used Subpatched interpolation for UVs for CC Subpatched objects. Has that finally been fixed?

Also, I read about some issues with FFX, is that true?

How does the Bullet system work? All I can find, even on Newtek sites is renders with Bullet, no Tutorials or overviews on how that works.

How is the compatibility with old Scenes and Model files?
Do 3rd party plugins still work with LW11?

Sorry for the rather not so important questions. I had a bunch of other ones last night, but didn't write them down and forgot most of em.

How is the Upgrade policy now since the whole Hardcore thing? I really lost track of the upgrade policy since LW 10 and the whole Core / Hardcore stuff. Just too confusing for a hobbyist like me who doesn't keep looking at the forums regularly.

Greetz

Snosrap
03-06-2012, 07:56 AM
Is the Integration of CC Subpatches fully fixed now? In 9.61 you can't used Subpatched interpolation for UVs for CC Subpatched objects. Has that finally been fixed?
No. Don't expect it until we see more of Core technology in the modeling aspect of LW

Also, I read about some issues with FFX, is that true?
Yes, it got broke at the very last minute in their build. Check said we can expect a service pack soon.

How does the Bullet system work? All I can find, even on Newtek sites is renders with Bullet, no Tutorials or overviews on how that works.
Super simple! I think the manual addum. has the info. No softbodies for now but hints of it coming in.

How is the compatibility with old Scenes and Model files?
Do 3rd party plugins still work with LW11?
No problems that I have encountered. There is difference in the sampling and AA system, so old scenes need to be reset in that area. This is a huge improvement as all the sampling is handled in one place(camera panel). Gone are quality settings in the light panels and sampling settings in the surface editors. IMO this is the biggest improvement in LW11. I have had scenes that were rendering in 30mins go to 9mins! No lie!!

How is the Upgrade policy now since the whole Hardcore thing? I really lost track of the upgrade policy since LW 10 and the whole Core / Hardcore stuff. Just too confusing for a hobbyist like me who doesn't keep looking at the forums regularly. Greetz

If you bought into Hardcore from the get go, your next 5 upgrades will be $395. If you hestitated it will be $495, if you didn't buy in you'll need to shell out $695.

K-Dawg
03-07-2012, 05:15 AM
Thanks for the info brother.

I've been reading some more and also read something that the new Compositing exporter is buggy too. Would be nice to know how that looks like and how it works in LW11, but seems like I'll have to wait much longer for a Upgrade.

Nope, I haven't bought into HC nore do I have LW10. Still run with 9.61 and 11 looks very promising, but I guess it's just more bling at it's current state. Too bad it has to deal with so many Bugs. Good for me. If every Upgrade and point Update costs extra money, then I'll gladly wait for a better, more stable and bugless version of LW before I upgrade.

As a hobbyist, every decision for a spending like that takes time.

Thanks man.

dwburman
03-07-2012, 01:53 PM
Every app will have bugs, especially the .0 release. If you use layout more than modeler then it's more than just bling. If you primarily us modeler, then there isn't as much reason to upgrade. Point updates don't cost money, only ordinal (x.0) upgrades cost money, but those are more frequent than they were for the 9.0 series.

If you're happy with 9.6.1, then there's no reason to upgrade for you if you're not using LW to earn a living. Newtek hasn't traditionally penalized people for skipping an upgrade*, so skipping a version or two shouldn't be a problem unless NT changes their policy.

You could try out the LW11 trial for yourself. It's a 30-day license with minimal restrictions** unlike the old "Discovery Mode" trial.

*Hard Core members will lose their discount by skipping, but they are still eligible for normal upgrade pricing.

**I found I couldn't change the UI color scheme... at least not for the background.

K-Dawg
03-07-2012, 03:01 PM
Thanks dwburman.

So updates like 11.1, 11.2 11.6 are like the 9 series, still included? Of course if Newtek does so many .releases. Just the upgrade pricing has changed from (I think it was something around 400-500 Euros for me upgrading from my 5.6 to 9) that to $695?

Well of course Programs will always have Bugs. I'm more concerned about time things taht still not fixed like Subpatch UVs for CCs or even the EPS Importer. In LW 9.6.1 the EPS importer can't import EPS files from Inkscape. I only use Inkscape now as my Vector tool. I can't use my Illustrator 10 on Windows Vista and up anymore and I won't upgrade cause I don't have too. I'm absolutley fine with Inkscape now, only that LW does not support EPS files higher than EPS 1.8 sucks. Is that fixed in LW11 atleast?

Of course it's just minor stuff, but if it's minor, why not fix it atleast? Those are a few things known for a long time now.

Well good to know that Modeler isn't the reason to upgrade. And sorry about the "bling". I didn't mean that a rude way. Of course VPR seems to be a great thing and I'm sure Newtek improved the Renderer a lot. They tend to do that with every release which is almost a reason on it's own to upgrade.

Well, besides Built in Linear Workspace mode and other changes, I think I, as a hobbyist, don't have to upgrade. For you guys who make a living on it thats a different story and I'm condemning you when you upgrade. Don't get me wrong.

At least Newtek won't deny me a upgrade someday and actually I really appreciate their upgrade policies with several version back. Thats one of the reasons I stick with LW. Newtek is just very accommodating to all sorts of customer bases and I really like that.

I'll just start putting some cash on the side and maybe I can afford an Upgrade to an upcoming version. I really enjoyed the 9 series alot and don't regret buying it.

Greetz

DigitalSorcery8
03-07-2012, 03:10 PM
So updates like 11.1, 11.2 11.6 are like the 9 series, still included? Of course if Newtek does so many .releases. Just the upgrade pricing has changed from (I think it was something around 400-500 Euros for me upgrading from my 5.6 to 9) that to $695?
Not likely. After LW9.x, Newtek went into a shortened development cycle. There was 10.0 and then 10.1. That was it for the 10.x series. I would bet that after we receive 11.1, they will announce LW12. So we'll be getting a new LW version about every year. That said, 11.1 is included in your upgrade pricing. :)

K-Dawg
03-07-2012, 03:28 PM
Ah ok. So it won't hurt too bad if I skip the 11 series as well, even though I must admit it does give me the impression like the 9 series did.

Well I appreciate all your Posts. Can't afford an upgrade now, so now win or lose either on my or Newteks side ;)

I hope the EPS importer gets fixed and some other old bugs though. And I hope a Linux version will be released. Now that would get me all excited :D

Thanks and keep it up Newtek.

Greetz

wrench
03-07-2012, 04:08 PM
The problem with the EPS importer is that after v8 Adobe converted EPS to a PDF standard, which is not as open.

B

dwburman
03-07-2012, 05:06 PM
CCs haven't been updated at all as far as I know.

I don't know if I classify the EPS_Loader as a bug since Inkscape wasn't around when the feature was added to LW, but I think it should be updated. I may have filed a bug report/feature request about that.

@wrench - Can the EPS importer be updated to work with EPS (or SVG) files saved by InkScape? That should be a separate issue from Illustrator support.

Snosrap
03-07-2012, 10:36 PM
I'm more concerned about time things taht still not fixed like Subpatch UVs for CCs or even the EPS Importer. In LW 9.6.1 the EPS importer can't import EPS files from Inkscape. I only use Inkscape now as my Vector tool. I can't use my Illustrator 10 on Windows Vista and up anymore and I won't upgrade cause I don't have too. I'm absolutley fine with Inkscape now, only that LW does not support EPS files higher than EPS 1.8 sucks. Is that fixed in LW11 atleast?

Well, besides Built in Linear Workspace mode and other changes, I think I, as a hobbyist, don't have to upgrade. For you guys who make a living on it thats a different story and I'm condemning you when you upgrade. Don't get me wrong.

Maybe it's time to get CorelDraw X5. You get a great vector app along with PhotoPaint, both of which are full featured pro apps. I picked up the student version for $99. It supports all the latest vector formats. The issue you are having with EPS isn't a Lightwave issue, more like an Adobe is the 900lb. gorilla and wants the sandbox to itself issue.

Don't expect subpatched CC UV's fixed until new underlying code (rewrite) gets put in place.

Linear Workspace, VPR and unified sampling are IMO well worth an upgrade IMO, but 9.6 is rock solid and a great tool until you can afford the next version.

probiner
03-09-2012, 11:41 AM
Features videos looks nice and inspiring. Good Luck
http://www.newtek.com/lw11-featuresvideo

speismonqui
03-09-2012, 01:25 PM
Features videos looks nice and inspiring. Good Luck
http://www.newtek.com/lw11-featuresvideo

link not working... maybe it's because a WEB DESIGN UPGRADE???
http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave.html

:thumbsup::newtek:

OnlineRender
03-09-2012, 01:36 PM
http://newtek.com/lw11-featuresvideo

Airwaves
03-13-2012, 09:48 PM
I got the upgrade to lightwave 11 but I want to know if I should uninstall lightwave 10 first? I have tried looking on forums but could not find anything. Does anyone know if I should uninstall it before I install 11?

Thanks for helping the newbie.

Snosrap
03-13-2012, 09:57 PM
I got the upgrade to lightwave 11 but I want to know if I should uninstall lightwave 10 first? I have tried looking on forums but could not find anything. Does anyone know if I should uninstall it before I install 11?

Thanks for helping the newbie.

Nope. LW11 installs to it's own folder.

Airwaves
03-13-2012, 09:58 PM
Thank you. That is what I needed to know. Appreciate it.

Airwaves
03-14-2012, 06:13 PM
Ok, so I have yet another question. I have two licenses and I installed one without problems but I go to register the other one and when I open layout I cannot get the hardware lock. Is the hardware lock the same as my other USB dongle? Thanks

Snosrap
03-14-2012, 07:46 PM
Ok, so I have yet another question. I have two licenses and I installed one without problems but I go to register the other one and when I open layout I cannot get the hardware lock. Is the hardware lock the same as my other USB dongle? Thanks

So you have two dongles? If so you need to use the other dongle. Each dongle generates a unique number (code).

Airwaves
03-14-2012, 08:03 PM
I found out what was wrong. My firewall blocked sentinel from installing on this machine. I was using the other dongle but I guess I missed seeing that. Thanks again for the advice. Take care.

Snosrap
03-14-2012, 08:10 PM
No prob!:thumbsup: