PDA

View Full Version : LW 9.6.1 Rendering Crashes

pixeldepth
02-20-2012, 08:52 AM
Hi ya'll, I'm rendering a scene on my mac using lightwave 9.6.1, and is driving me crazy, is a 450 frames scene, but it was ripping through the first 140 frames, then it crashed, and now it crashed every 3 frames, sometime 5 frames, is not an exact number of frames.

I've re-started my mac several times. I've tried running layout with a new scene and use renderQ, and nothing seems to help, I have nothing else open.
I'm on a MacPro Dual 2.93 Quad Core-Intel Xeon with 16GB of ram. and rendering to a SATA Drive with 4TB of space. Running OsX 10.6.8

I'm on a crazy deadline, and can't afford to sit on front of the computer re-starting every few minutes. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

ncr100
02-20-2012, 04:00 PM
Is it the Mac crashing or the App having a problem? (Is the Mac too hot?)

Is the App generating a crash-log? Go ahead and post it here.

dlanimation
02-20-2012, 04:17 PM
i think there are some issues rendering movies from 9.6.1,
try making a frame sequence and convert to movie,after.
dl

pixeldepth
02-20-2012, 05:31 PM
NCR: doesn't seem hot at all, the fans are on and cool air is coming out the front, I opened the side door, and doesn't feel very hot at all.

I'll try attaching the error log, since posting the log didn't work earlier, it didn't let me cause exceeded 1500 characters (I think was the error)

DLANIMATION: I'm trying to render RPF's, I learned the hard way, NEVER to render movies out.

Right now is sort of working, I deleted a bunch of nulls I had setup for AE_Link and doing a png export instead of the RPFs, seems to be crawling but is working so far. I'm very paranoid, so I'm monitoring through logmein, so hopefully it keeps on rendering.

Let me know please if one of you guys can ready of the log what the issue is, I mean seems like the software should do what's supposed to no matter what you throw at it. I mean, I know, withing some limitations, but is not like I'm rendering anything crazy.

Thanks in advance.

JonW
02-20-2012, 08:32 PM
I would be more concerned if it was cool. My Dual W5580 (PC but basically the same) 130 watts each (& my dual E5450 80 watts each)) both boxes pump out a fair bit of heat. Your CPUs are 95 watts each plus the rest of the system. The exhaust side of the box, the air should be quite warm. It means that the heatsinks & fans are getting the heat away from the CPUs and out of the box.

My W5580 box rendering consumes 530 watts according to my UPS. Your box should be pumping out around 460 watts of heat.

While it's working, best not to touch it, but if it crashes & you re-start what CPU % is being used?

pixeldepth
02-20-2012, 08:40 PM
JonW: tnx, the front is blowing cool air, I mean cooler air than the back, my apologies if I made it sound as if is cold air coming out.

The back is blowing warmer than the front, but the front is considerably cooler though. I do keep my office cold and there's plenty of airflow un the rack where I have the Mac on.

Any ideas?

JonW
02-20-2012, 09:22 PM
While it's working, best not to touch it, but if it crashes & you re-start what CPU % is being used?

The front is sucking or pulling air in other words.

I would still check the CPU usage, but would not temp fate at any price while it is still working!

If it does crash, you could Package Scene that usually solve stray files & problems. But as mentioned above while it's working don't experiment with new ideas.

pixeldepth
02-22-2012, 06:53 AM
Yeah it actually got done rendering, in the middle of the crashes I decided to change a few thing for once changed from RPFs to png's, second: deleted all my AE Link nulls, and third shut off some os the special buffer I was trying to get out.

Not sure which one of these did it, but I just go down to basics, I figured I'd crunch in AE, and it worked, so not sure what did it, but it finally worked.

I'll try to mess around with this project next week when I have some free time. And report back after dissecting more the scene and try different combination see what works and what doesn't

Thanks all for your help.

p.s. the Mac feel like is pulling cool air from the front, although sometime feels like is blowing it out a bit as well, but the back is definitely warm, but nothing alarming. Activity Monitor showed Procs not quite maxed out, but working hard. Not sure where to get a Proc temperature.

Thanks again.