PDA

View Full Version : Bullet Tutorial

Paul_Boland
02-19-2012, 06:26 PM
Hi Folks.

I have the Lightwave 11 demo and am trying to get an understanding of working with Bullet Physics. Can someone post a step by step tutorial on how to set up a basic scene and do stuff with it. Not looking for anything complex, just enough to get me up and running.

PhotoTekArtWork
02-19-2012, 07:09 PM
Read the doc. It worked for me. I set-up my own scene and it worked the first time.

tcoursey
02-19-2012, 09:10 PM
another thread about this here: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=125878

Main thing is to go to FX Tab at top and pick Rigid and Static on each of your objects. Then press play!

ncr100
02-20-2012, 12:51 AM
Layout
Modeler Tools tab
Create Geometry -> Ground.
Create Geometry -> Sphere.
Create Geometry -> Cube. Drag cube a ways above sphere, offset just a bit.
FX Tools tab
Select Ground. Click Dynamics > Static body
Select Sphere. Click Dynamics > Rigid body
Select Cube. Click Dynamics > Rigid body
Click Play

For more tweaking, open the Bullet > Item Properties window.

wrench
02-20-2012, 10:46 AM
What ncr100 has typed is pretty much what's in the manual apart from the fact that the sphere needs to be above the cube! :D It really is that simple.

B

OnlineRender
02-20-2012, 12:00 PM
remember to save your objects your create in layout , otherwise when re-reload the scene they go for a walk

DLombardi
03-20-2012, 02:53 PM
Actually, the problem I'm having... where is the FXTools tab. Because I don't have it. Kinda makes following the tutorial or even using Bullet impossible.

Do you need to add a new menu structure that's not in the default install for 11?

( I withdraw my earlier statement in embarrassment to realize I was accidentally launching version 10... nothing to see here)

Philbert
03-20-2012, 04:01 PM
Layout
Modeler Tools tab
Create Geometry -> Ground.
Create Geometry -> Sphere.
Create Geometry -> Cube. Drag cube a ways above sphere, offset just a bit.
FX Tools tab
Select Ground. Click Dynamics > Static body
Select Sphere. Click Dynamics > Rigid body
Select Cube. Click Dynamics > Rigid body
Click Play

For more tweaking, open the Bullet > Item Properties window.

Yes, this will technically make a Bullet animation, but there's certainly a LOT more tools and details in bullet than just that. I'd love to see a good tutorial explaining more in depth details for a larger scene.

GaryWales
03-05-2013, 02:51 AM
Is there any way of controlling an object whilst it is being manipulated by Bullet Time? For example, I'm dropping an object but I want to spin it as well? Or even a way of freezing bullet time motion?

ncr100
03-06-2013, 12:36 PM
Is there any way of controlling an object whilst it is being manipulated by Bullet Time? For example, I'm dropping an object but I want to spin it as well? Or even a way of freezing bullet time motion?

Yup. Envelope the Time Scale. It's really easy:

1 Create a Cube: Modeler Tools > Create > Geometry > Cube > Okay
2 Make it dynamic: FX Tools > Rigid body
3 Watch its default falling speed: Press play
4 Open Bullet properties: FX Tools > Item Properties
5 Tab over to World properties: Item Properties > World
6 Open the Graph Editor for Time Scale: Item Properties > Time Scale > E
7 Add 4 keyframes at different height between frame 0 and frame 15: Use the "key+" icon

Now, those heights will adjust bullet time's scale on those given frames.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsxedfnHghA&feature=youtu.be

This does not control just an individual object. If that's needed..perhaps there's a way!