PDA

View Full Version : 3d motion curves

glassefx
10-20-2003, 10:49 AM
I think it would be great to have two motion editors, one like it is now and one that uses 3d splines ontop of a 3d grid. Also it would be kewl to see rotation arrows attached to the splines we now see in layout when show motion is turned on.

I just think editing motion paths in 3d-space would be very helpful.

Mylenium
10-20-2003, 11:45 AM
Mmh, that sounds strange. What would you get out of adjusting temporal interpolation in a 3-dimensional grid? I guess you are more referring to spacial interpolation and that can already be done to a certain degree in Layout using the path tool. The only thing that is missing are real spline handles for adjusting tangents/ interpolation. I'm confident that NT made their homework and added such a feature (if not, all this bragging about character animation features in V8 is somewhat pointless).

Mylenium

glassefx
10-22-2003, 07:15 AM
Yeah your correct in the spatial vs. temporial tweeking.

But I would like to see the speed in/on the 3d curve somehow, colors? like a spectrum effect. I just use speed alot in my animations. For example Human motion USUALLY starts fast for say 2 to 3 frames at 30fps then quickly slows and as it reaches its destination it speeds up a hair. All of this is very subtle but if I could see the velocity of a spline as a spline (with no switching) in actual 3d space, well it would be nice.

Think about this... Time is a constant, which is your FPS so if your tweeking a spline your going to effect time when you change spatial characteristics. example 1 to 2 = 2spaces, 1 to 100 = 100 spaces and if time is constant then by changing say the Z value from 2 to 100 your increasing the time.

Thanks for the reply, It's got my mind visualizing something. I will work on making a crude example of what I envision as a spatial/time editor.

Mylenium
10-22-2003, 08:14 AM
I think I know what you are getting at... Never thought of this one before but sounds cool somehow. Just hope all this colorfullness will not hurt the eyes or bog down display speed.

Mylenium

glassefx
10-22-2003, 08:23 AM
NT could always could put it on a toggle along with the very needed openGL controls.

I like the way 5.x LW does selections which is FAST... They re-coded it in 6 up I'm guessing because they added lasso selection from a 3d viewplane. I'm always waiting for polygon selections to "build" on each viewplane before I get to continue modeling.

I know I need another openGL card (matrox g40 dual head) but way back lw 5.xs with just a basic off the shelf graphics card was pretty speedy.

Mylenium
10-22-2003, 12:28 PM
Hehe, tell me about display speed... Sometimes I too think it was better before OpenGL became all the fashion - not that much in Layout, but the limited image resolution and clipping in Modeler are driving me nuts sometimes. You can't zoom in on very small details and things that are not displayed cannot even be selected *sigh*. They should really fix this.

Mylenium

KissMyGrits
10-22-2003, 04:38 PM
See my thread:
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12737