PDA

View Full Version : LW 11 Rendering Speeds

tcoursey
02-18-2012, 09:26 AM
Is it just me or is LW11 spitting out renders faster? I know the unified sampling is different, but it seems like my renders (with even more antialiasing passes) are coming out quicker than ever. And I'm not going to even mention the OGL improvements. Those seem considerable on my machine!

Is it just me because I'm so giddy about my new toy, or are others seeing this too. I don't remember much being said about it as features....:beerchug:

OnlineRender
02-18-2012, 09:41 AM
much much faster , like super rapid and with excellent results on a minimal setting

kopperdrake
02-18-2012, 10:16 AM
They did mention that the new antialiasing could, apart from making more sense, also speed up the rendering in that useless refinement would no longer happen per pass. Don't ask me where I saw it, it was on a video, but I did, and apparently it's correct!

erikals
02-18-2012, 10:37 AM
[thumbsup] :]

raw-m
02-18-2012, 11:34 AM
A lot faster! The new unified sampling thing is working well for me, getting nice clean results pretty quickly.

Philbert
02-19-2012, 04:08 PM
Yes much faster in some cases I tested rendering my current project in it and went from about 50 sec / frame to about 23 seconds. However another project I tried that used a lot of Radiosity showed only minor improvement if any. I do find though that the new AA settings mean a lot more fiddling to find the balance between quality and speed.

Cageman
02-19-2012, 04:42 PM
Yes much faster in some cases I tested rendering my current project in it and went from about 50 sec / frame to about 23 seconds. However another project I tried that used a lot of Radiosity showed only minor improvement if any. I do find though that the new AA settings mean a lot more fiddling to find the balance between quality and speed.

Well... define "a lot more". :)

I find it pretty nice to have Light/Shading samples in render globals, and then adjusting the min/max samples in the camera. A good starting point is to use 1 or 2 light/shading samples and then only play with the max setting in the camera using AS at level 0.01 or 0.005, depending on how much detail there is in the scene, such as fine bumpmaps etc.

Before Unified Sampling, you would go into every nodesetup and tweak the shaders individually, which was pretty timeconsuming with more than 200-300 surfaces in the scene. In that sense, I would say that ther is a lot less fiddling with the balancing in LW11 compared to earlier versions.

:)

lwanmtr
02-19-2012, 05:30 PM
Tons faster....the new unfied sampling setup is a dream...makes it much easier to optimise now....now I can get nice smooth refections and soft shadows without hours of fiddling between nodes, lights, aa, etc....

Philbert
02-19-2012, 07:17 PM
Before Unified Sampling, you would go into every nodesetup and tweak the shaders individually, which was pretty timeconsuming with more than 200-300 surfaces in the scene. In that sense, I would say that ther is a lot less fiddling with the balancing in LW11 compared to earlier versions.

That assumes you're using all of those things. If you're not using the things that got "unified" then you just have one extra control to complicate things in AA. I don't know how to define "a lot more" but previously for almost every scene I know I could set AA to like 4 or 5, If I wanted more refinement I could set Adaptive Sampling anywhere between 0.1 and 0.08 and that covered me for like 90% of my scenes. Now there are these minimum / maximum settings in addition to the Adaptive. I'm sure it will get easier but for simpler scenes it feels more complicated right now.

lwanmtr
02-19-2012, 07:21 PM
Its pretty simple, to me at least minimum samples is how many times it will sample a pixel, maximum is the maximum number of times it will do it....

Still much the same, just reduces the number of boxes we need to play with :)

Philbert
02-19-2012, 07:53 PM
Not sure how having two boxes with numbers that go a lot higher is the same as having one box. Minimum and maximum doesn't sound simple to me. It's like you could have 0-10 or you could have 0-∞ + ∞-0. Granted that may be a slight exaggeration but the point is there.

Surrealist.
02-19-2012, 08:50 PM
Personally I am not a big fan of minimum maximum. I think this is how it is in Mental Ray and somehow this concept I find confuses the issue. I am a simpleton. Give me a knob that goes up to 11.:D Why 11? because it is one more than 10.

Kidding aside, I do get the idea of it, but in practicality, it seems so dubious to find find the sweet spot. I love 3Delight's Sample Rate. One knob, one setting.

tcoursey
02-19-2012, 09:30 PM
I'm by no means a master at all, but let me tell you....these new settings are getting me much faster renders at much better quality!

In the old LW 10.1 and previous we had one AA box. That means if I wanted/needed a high AA sample rate the ENTIRE image was sampled and resampled that high number of times. Even when it didn't need it and didn't help the image. Yes I could add the Adaptive, and basically that's all I used in 10.1. I would set the AA to 1 and the Adaptive to .01 and it would cover 99% of our scenes.

The new minimum and maximum although I can't explain leaves us the same idea. Set your minimum to 1 basically. Set your max to whatever you use to set your AA to and then if you want Adaptive to refine those edges go for it.

I am very happy to enter a new number into one new box for the results I'm getting!!!!

Surrealist.
02-19-2012, 10:16 PM
Cool. Good to hear. Has anyone tried GI with deformations?

HenrikSkoglund
02-20-2012, 12:07 AM
I really LOVE LW11 so far... it all just feels so much more... worked on. GOOD WORK NEWTEK :)

wrench
02-20-2012, 10:48 AM
You can have your one setting. Just turn off Adaptive Sampling and then you only need set minimum.

B

AbstractTech3D
05-11-2012, 11:09 PM
I'm also getting render times that are perhaps less than half of what they were with 10.1. (Maybe as low as 1/3).

This alone is going to be worth the price of the upgrade.
Very happy!