PDA

View Full Version : White shark

Stalio
10-20-2003, 10:15 AM
Hi all ,

I'm a new lightwaver ,but I like Lightwave so much :) (I don't use any other 3D high end software ,only a little of Poser and Vue d'Esprit)
This is my first post here , I hope this is the right place to post this image.
I'm a traditional illustrator ,but I'm interested in 3D CG too ,and I like organic modeling...:)
This is first model I model ,I make UVmap ,I paint texture ,I make skelegon and bones...all in Lightwave and photoshop.
Comments are really a nice help for me :)

(sorry for my bad English -.-)

http://www.ivanstalio.com/deposito/white-shark.jpg

Noclar7
10-20-2003, 10:44 AM
Welcome to the forums,
Thats deadly man, I especially like the detail added with the cuts and scratches, and the small bubble trails. Just the right amount added. eww and the junk in his mouth.
As far as critics go I only see 2 things that look off a bit.
I see the water as being dirtier and the surface of the water a little less procedural. Also the lighting is great but I find the shadow on the main fin is a bit sharp for a scene thats lit cool. It just makes the fin look like a separate part. That'd be it.

Cheers,
RJ

mattbolton
10-20-2003, 11:04 AM
Looks good. Did you use caustics with the lighting or is that caustic light pattern generated using an image?

dobermunk
10-20-2003, 11:11 AM
Nice! Love thoose details!

starbase1
10-20-2003, 12:14 PM
Gorgeous.
Nick

hrgiger
10-20-2003, 01:11 PM
That looks amazing. (Correction EDIT: Rob Pauza)was working on a great white not too long ago (I think it was Mike) maybe you guys should compare notes. His was very impressive as well...

thekho
10-20-2003, 01:51 PM
Look great! Very nice texturing! Nice caustic!

I don't like your top sea which looks awful.
I think your lighting and top sea may need little work as well as add little reflection on your shark.

Keep up the great work.

hrgiger- hi. I love mike's work but i haven't seen mike's shark work. Could, please you give me a link to Mike B's shark work?

Thanks

anieves
10-20-2003, 03:23 PM
I've been thinking of making a great white for a while now just because is one fascinating creature to me and I can't wait to go cage diving with these creatures! now,

This by far is the best GW I've ever seen. The head is perfect! the body is great but the only thing that kinda bothers me is the pectoral fins... they look slaped on the torso, there has to be a little more smooth transition between the torso and the pectoral fins, also the dark spot right behind the eye makes the eye kinda hard to see, the eye should be visible to add more character other than that is excellent work.

anieves
10-20-2003, 03:24 PM
I took a second look and the gils definately are too far up...

hrgiger
10-20-2003, 04:50 PM
My mistake it was RobPauza....

Here are the links:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11458

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9231

riki
10-20-2003, 06:06 PM
Wow nice first post, wish all my posts were that good.

hrgiger
10-20-2003, 06:52 PM
Looking at the picture again, I guess I can see that the sea surface could use a little work. I guess I didn't notice it because the sharks looked so good. Actually right now, the surface almost looks like it's under a frozen sea. I know it's probably a bit plebian but I would suggest some more surface highlights and maybe some volumetric lights shining down.

scottn
10-22-2003, 01:13 AM
The shark is great, but I think the environment can do with some work. The pose the shark is in and the composition of the picture is excellent.

apex
10-22-2003, 04:50 AM
WOW! Great texturing. Not to take anything away from the models, they're good too but the texture job is fantastic. I'm rather convinced. The only thing I see that needs a boost is the eye. Maybe a little more glossiness and a thin white rim around the black. Never been that close to notice, and don't want to be, but overall, great image.

starbase1
10-22-2003, 05:18 AM
Really?

I thought the eye was excellent - too many other images concentrate strongly on the eyes, and I had found that a bit of a cliche.

I also felt that the subdued eye helped to focus attention on the damaged skin, adding to the feeling of a beasty that fights a LOT.

Nick

Stalio
10-22-2003, 05:29 AM
Thanks for feedback guys,

anieves : maybe don't you see the gils in the shadow area ?(they start in front of the fin)
The transition between the torso and the pectoral fins is smooth,but I think do you means the line light/shadow ?(like Noclar7 say ?)

mattbolton : is generated using an image loaded in a light

about the sea surface :

Yeah ,I know what you mean,I tried something different for this image ,in the future I'll use probably a normal solution :)

(if you don't understand something I write ,tell me :p )

anieves
10-22-2003, 02:43 PM
if the gils start at the top of the fins then is ok but is not very noticeable.

If the pectoral fins are smooth with the torso it doesn't show, the light is very sharp thus making it look like is not attached to the torso.

Zarathustra
10-23-2003, 03:46 PM
Now THAT's a shark!

Matt
10-24-2003, 02:27 AM
excellent work! love the textures and detail as people have mentioned, I agree the water surface could use some more attention, other than that I think it's pretty fantastic!

ruud
10-24-2003, 06:24 AM
that's a really nice image!

my compliments!

But, maybe a littlebit too much of blue in the picture, I can imagine some dirt in the water, that can give some nice blurry distortions

Maybe post an other update... but it looks quite finished :)

sebrady
10-27-2003, 04:32 PM
I hate you
you suck
you are soooo good
I wish I was half that good
You have got some great Lightwave chops
good luck to you

cg-freak
10-29-2003, 02:58 AM
That's how a great white should look like, I love the look of it, very nice in proportion. Great modelling and a nice scene as well.

Drakaran
11-02-2003, 02:49 PM
if you are using a fog, I'd make the effect stronger, if not, put one in. the water is way too clear and clean to be the ocean adding particulate would also be a good idea. the pucker of the wound near the dorsal is too rounded and looks odd. Pretty nice modeling and texturing otherwise.

Elmar Moelzer
11-02-2003, 02:56 PM
Very nice modeling and texturing!
I have to agree on the seasurface though.
IMHO ist should be a lot brighter than the water arround the shark.
CU
Elmar

Jure
11-03-2003, 02:42 PM
Yup! Wonderful and scary!
Good work!

Ramon
11-06-2003, 08:33 PM
Well Stalio, this is very impressive! Best CG shark I have seen yet and that includes the one for the movie Deep Blue See. Congrates! Excellent all around! I love the attention to details and the lighting/render is great too. You might choose to use particles/HV sprites for floating particales in the water to give depth and volume (along with fog of course).
Bravo!!! Keep it up!
Ramon

Swirly-Chicken
11-08-2003, 04:20 PM
Pretty nice...only thing i could comment on would be the texture on the thing....it comes of as being a rubber toy..thatīs as good of an analogy as i can think of...
the cuts on the body maybe shouldnīt be so rounded... well...nice model anyways :)

ptaverner
11-12-2003, 12:24 PM
Very Very nice work. Magazine quality. Well done!

Peter

Wade
11-12-2003, 06:17 PM
Great work!