PDA

View Full Version : how to create unfolding effect

waelkf
02-18-2012, 04:12 AM
hi everyone
anybody knows how to create unfolding effect using lw10
similar to this one

http://cg.tutsplus.com/tutorials/autodesk-maya/create-an-amazing-unfolding-effect-in-maya-using-morrisfold/

thank you in advance

lertola2
02-18-2012, 07:47 AM
If I were doing this I would cut up the object and put each piece on a separate layer in modeler. I would make a chain of skelegons positioned at the rotation points in another layer. In layout convert the skelegons to bones. Then in layout I would just parent in place each cut to the appropriate bones. Then animate the folding with the bones.

waelkf
02-18-2012, 10:59 AM
lertola2,
good technique, but won't help in case i have a huge object, it will take long time:(
any plugins or script can do the desired effect?

ivanze
02-18-2012, 11:23 AM
I think you can do that with Dpont's DPKit. It's a plugin for Lightwave and is free.

http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/nodes/Additionnal_Nodes_2.html

gravin
02-18-2012, 11:36 AM
Have you considered doing it in post? If you can figure out a way to use composting to get around having to spend a lot of time rigging the effect it might make more sense. Of course this only helps if you have access to composting software and the end result doesn't have to be delivered to a client in a 3d format.

waelkf
02-18-2012, 09:35 PM
thank you everyone
ivanze ,
any tutorial on how to do it DPKit.

gravin,
of course but i need to render the final animation in lightwave, using all the beauties lightwave offers.

Andrewstopheles
02-18-2012, 11:12 PM
This tutorial by William Vaughan came to mind.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_-8a5q7HFE

bazsa73
02-19-2012, 04:20 AM
Hi, here is my solution.
In modeler: 5 stripes on 5 layers. 1 chain of bones.
In layout: rig 1 stripe (stripe bone properties use bones from chain)
then clone the bone chain object and use them on the rest of the stripes.
Zero out all rotations on the bones. No weight maps were used.
Hand animated. Keys shifted and stretched. Didn't took that long.

lertola2
02-19-2012, 03:52 PM
Looks very cool. Is this just a test? The motion of the second stripe from the bottom looks out of place compared to the others.

waelkf
02-19-2012, 11:18 PM
thank you bazsa73
but again if i have a huge building i need to build it from the ground up. this will take long time to setup.
ivanze, mentioned it can be done using dp-kit, and i believe so. any idea how?

thank you for sharing

bazsa73
02-19-2012, 11:32 PM
Looks very cool. Is this just a test? The motion of the second stripe from the bottom looks out of place compared to the others.
I tested different unfoldings, maybe that's the least succesful of all

bazsa73
02-19-2012, 11:38 PM
thank you bazsa73
but again if i have a huge building i need to build it from the ground up. this will take long time to setup.
ivanze, mentioned it can be done using dp-kit, and i believe so. any idea how?

thank you for sharing
:agree:

ivanze
02-19-2012, 11:54 PM
waelkf, I was trying to find for you in youtube some tutorials about using dpkit from a user called bryphi but they are gone.

http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/nodes/Additionnal_Nodes_2.html

In that link to the left there is a column with the different nodes. Read the info for Part Move, or search for "dpkit part move" here in the forum. Some people have some examples here in the forum using that node.

Dexter2999
02-19-2012, 11:58 PM
Actually looks like an easy effect to cheat.

Your eyes are drawn to flipping/rolling part.
This moves aside to reveal the part behind it.
Animate a flipping piece and in post animate as you would an edge wipe in video.
Or, actually have the flipping pieces as collision objects that affect the pieces of the object you want to reveal.

Just spitballing.

biliousfrog
02-20-2012, 01:21 AM
Actually looks like an easy effect to cheat.

Your eyes are drawn to flipping/rolling part.
This moves aside to reveal the part behind it.
Animate a flipping piece and in post animate as you would an edge wipe in video.
Or, actually have the flipping pieces as collision objects that affect the pieces of the object you want to reveal.

Just spitballing.

That was my first thought, in 90% of cases this would probably work...especially if creating a building like this, you could use some dust particles to cause extra distraction, the whole thing would be over before the viewer even noticed how it was done.

XswampyX
02-20-2012, 04:45 PM
DpKit partmove node will get you there. :)

http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/main_en.htm

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/UnrollNode.jpg

Driven by the node set up above and 2 nulls.

http://youtu.be/ud_FN-4PzYg

monovich
02-20-2012, 05:39 PM
And therein lies the problem with nodes. You can do pretty much everything, but nobody knows how.

waelkf
02-20-2012, 09:26 PM
XswampyX,
wow, that's what i was looking for.
i knew it could be done using nodes, this is a time saving technique.
now you gave a reason to dig deep into nodes
can you please share the source files. so we can study it closely

thank you

Lewis
02-21-2012, 06:58 AM
And therein lies the problem with nodes. You can do pretty much everything, but nobody knows how.

AND it's per object/per surface (instead global in architecture) so things get more complicated 'coz we need to duplicate (copy/paste) and adjust many of them due inability to use one for multiple materials in single nodal window.

munky
02-21-2012, 02:15 PM

Except XswampyX by the look of it. (very nice)

I could only manage some nice abstract tile patterns with nodes and resorted to lots of layers and "follower" (no good if you have a load to do)

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=101971&stc=1&d=1329858685

but here is the file if it's of any use

Paul

speismonqui
02-21-2012, 10:15 PM

SUPER :agree:

shrox
02-21-2012, 10:31 PM

My fears are true!

waelkf
02-21-2012, 11:46 PM

to me, new tricks, old dogs, thing?
will be able to master it if there are more example and tutorials on nodes.

monkey,
thank you that works fine, but you right (no good if you have a looooooooooooad to do).

XswampyX,
about the node technique, could we please have more details on that one?
thank you

XswampyX
02-22-2012, 06:02 AM
Of course you can.... I'm not at my computer now, but will post something when I get back. :thumbsup:

Hey munkey, that looks pretty darn good!

XswampyX
02-22-2012, 02:04 PM
Here you go. :)

It's really two different motions.

One to spread out the tiles along the X
Second to rotate the tiles around as they go.

Try removing the last link on the rotate and then the move node and scrub through the animation to see what each one does.

The gradient image is just a switch 100% on one side and 0% on the other.
As is moves along the X axis you get either full nodal movement/rotation or the actual un-deformed geometry. The multiply nodes enable this. ie move x=6 * gradient image(0) = '6*0' = 0

Cheers!

ivanze
02-22-2012, 03:24 PM
You gotta love this community. Thanks XswampyX for your tutorials. Here you can see that this forum is not as evil as some others are trying to make it look in other sites. :)

waelkf
02-24-2012, 01:26 AM
awesome, that's what i like about this community cool guys like XswampyX and munky will be around when we need them.

thank you

50one
02-24-2012, 02:12 AM
Thanks XswampyX!

Hehe, is it just me, or when you look at the node setup above your brain is having a brain fart, like trying to understand a woman when she is trying explain how to get to some random place...:)

colkai
02-24-2012, 04:17 AM
DpKit partmove node will get you there. :)
Driven by the node set up above and 2 nulls.

http://youtu.be/ud_FN-4PzYg

Ok, that is frikkin' neat! :)

Edit:

You gotta love this community.
Ain't that the truth? very kind XswampyX! :)

Hehe, is it just me, or when you look at the node setup above your brain is having a brain fart, like trying to understand a woman ...
Oh come on, now you're just being silly. Understand a woman? As if. :p ;)

Iain
02-24-2012, 05:11 AM
Christ on a bike-that node setup is just bizarre!

My hat is off, if only to scratch my head ;D

raw-m
05-07-2012, 03:23 AM
This is a great effect, massive thanks for sharing! I'm trying to break it down and understand what's going on, trouble is I'm getting the attached results when opening the scene - all the positions are well off! Any initial ideas what the issue may be? I couldn't load the InputSpy node on loading but pretty sure that isn't the problem.

I'm on a Mac, LW11.0.1 with the latest DP_Kit.

XswampyX
05-07-2012, 04:48 AM
I think your partinfo node isn't working/connected?

raw-m
05-07-2012, 04:53 AM
:bowdown:

Damn, missed it - I compared it to your original grab as well. Genius!! Thanks again.