PDA

View Full Version : What I haven't heard

jimiclaybrooks
02-17-2012, 12:33 PM
Just got wind of the newest version of LW, and it looks really exciting. What I haven't seen or heard anything about so far are: A. The cloth engine and B. The smoke/fire volumetrics features, (or lack thereof). Can anyone tell me some good news about version 11 and cloth, fire and smoke? or are we still using plugins to get the job done? thanks
P.S. I also called customer support, and they couldn't tell me anything.

Matt
02-17-2012, 08:29 PM
Customer Support asked me your question, I gave them an answer. If you watch the LW11 videos, that will show what's been added, if it's not in there, then it's not in there.

But to answer you questions directly.

Cloth - No, but that's something that will be coming in future Bullet updates.

Smoke/Fire - CFD no, this was not a trivial thing to add in LW11, but we are 'aware' of it.

jasonwestmas
02-17-2012, 08:48 PM
There's turbulence but that costs extra. http://www.jawset.com/shop/lw/single

Nice cloth collisions can be done with http://www.marvelousdesigner.com/

SBowie
02-18-2012, 01:41 PM
More of a Sales question than a CS one, I'd think.

Dexter2999
02-18-2012, 02:47 PM
Not really something you cover in sales, "everything is the same".

Pointless really. It doesn't promote the product (unless you are talking about "diet" products that have the same characteristics of the original.)

jimiclaybrooks
02-18-2012, 08:26 PM
thanks for the info guys. I don't see spending $700 for cloth. That just won't happen. I'll take my chances with Blender. :beerchug:

SBowie
02-19-2012, 06:54 AM
Not really something you cover in sales, "everything is the same".Sure it is. Sales is generally where you seek pre-purchase information on features, etc. Marcom prepares the brochures, bullet lists and feature tables for the web, etc., etc. That's not to say Sales can immediately answer every question, but that's the standard process, not just at NewTek, but at most places. CS is about something else entirely, and generally 'post-purchase' ... again, not to say that they might not help, but I'd expect measures to be taken if pre-sales inquiries started piling up in their in-box.

UnCommonGrafx
02-19-2012, 07:04 AM
Someone will hack/crack this nut sooner than later, I believe.

I think amazing will continue to = 11 x Instances + better fibers and a lot more stability.

Blender is easy enough, even to integrate back into lw.

Dexter2999
02-19-2012, 11:09 AM
Sure it is. Sales is generally where you seek pre-purchase information on features, etc. Marcom prepares the brochures, bullet lists and feature tables for the web, etc., etc. That's not to say Sales can immediately answer every question, but that's the standard process, not just at NewTek, but at most places. CS is about something else entirely, and generally 'post-purchase' ... again, not to say that they might not help, but I'd expect measures to be taken if pre-sales inquiries started piling up in their in-box.

Allow me to rephrase then. It may be part of the Sales department's responsibilities to answer questions as to product information, but information that amounts to "status quo" isn't considered as promotional information (by its very definition "promotion" excludes this.) So, I suppose my statement is perhaps more finely targeted at Marketing (usually a subset of the Sales department.)

So, if a new product is introduced to the market you will rarely see announcements as to what is "still the same". Not to say you will never see it because it is a tactic used when radical rebranding/redesign/repackaging is used so as to not scare off the existing customer base.

SBowie
02-19-2012, 12:59 PM
It may be part of the Sales department's responsibilities to answer questions as to product information, but information that amounts to "status quo" isn't considered as promotional information (by its very definition "promotion" excludes this.)Even after reviewing the thread briefly, I'm not really sure what you're referring to as "status quo" (or in a previous remark, "everything is the same"), but pre-purchase product and service questions primarily come under Sales in most operations. Promotional materials, events and the like are largely the realm of Marketing, while Customer Support handles after-sale support. There can, of course, be some cross-over (particularly in smaller organizations), as for example when CS might help deal with questions about upgrade pricing someone qualifies for, lend their assistance when an issue arises in that context. (In turn, they might sometimes need the assistance of MIS/IT in such matters.) Equally, Sales might cross-check with either CS or engineering when a technical question they haven't handled before arises (working in engineering as I do, it's not unusual to receive technical questions from Sales on behalf of a reseller or prospective customer).

Anyway, not really worth much more examination, I'm just pointing out that CS's role really isn't principally to handle pre-sales inquiries.

Dexter2999
02-19-2012, 01:18 PM
yeah, I wasn't trying to imply that it was a CS issue. I was just addressing why the OP hasn't heard about certain features. When promoting a new product Marketing is pushing what is new and improved (which for LW 11 is considerable.) If they didn't mention it, it is most likely because it is either the same or discontinued.

SBowie
02-19-2012, 03:40 PM
Fair enough, thanks for explaining.