PDA

View Full Version : How to find work in 3D

skywalker113
02-16-2012, 02:48 PM
I want to start earning some money off my skills in 3D. Although, I dont want to move some place far, and work for a company right now. So im aiming towards being a freelancer and working for people on a project basis.

In order to get noticed, i've tried posting a few threads on jobs forums, going to a local business group meeting and handing out a few cards, and putting my work on youtube (I've had several people contact me from youtube but they want free work.).

I would like to work for 30.00 per hr.

No luck so far on getting a job. Things are getting boring around here and I want to jump start by career. What else can I do?

OnlineRender
02-16-2012, 03:04 PM
30 per hour is this $...... mate try going up a little start at $60 for a 3D artist people sell themselves short all the time and when they finaly ask for the price over what the think is normal is generally due to the fact the have undercharged the rest of the time ...

you went to dave school correct ? go all out , if you freelance I wish you the best of luck but you will find it hard , I network 24/7 thats how jobs come my way , a friend of a friend ect but unless your amazing you will struggle big time ... gl either way

for a constructive comment you could try freelance websites and bid for the jobs ,but its a little meh and generally you get outbid by some cheap labour who can knock the stuff out in days ...

dblincoe
02-16-2012, 03:44 PM
I'd have to echo what is said by OnlineRender. Don't sell yourself short. $30 is way to low unless you are really are just getting outbid all the time in a particular market. You don't want to work for extremely frugal clients anyway. It has been my experience that the cheaper the client the more they want. That is the harder to satisfy them. They'll try to suck every ounce of life out of you to get there money's worth. A good client will see worth and value in your services. Don't just sell them 3D...sell them the relationship they'll form with someone who can provide these services. Be accessible, personable and honest with them. People see value in people relationships (even if it is sometimes subconcious). They'll pay extra for a good working relationship with someone they get along with. You've done it too. Every get that thought that something is just not right with XYZ and you walked away. Or that "It's too good to be true feeling. Clients will do that too when looking at you. You don't want to be cheapest. You want to add things that increase your value and make sure you teach your prospective client how to compare apples to apples. Sell relationships. I haven't made a dime off of freelance websites. I've made a living off of repeat clients that I have made by people finding my website and keeping them happy.

skywalker113
02-16-2012, 07:58 PM
Hey, thanks for the tips. I think I will start at 60.00.

I have not been to Dave school. I wish I could go, but its way across the country from where I live.