PDA

View Full Version : Sub Station

sinelab
02-16-2012, 10:18 AM
A render of a concept i've been working on. All work done in Lightwave 10 and Photoshop.

http://sinelab.com/buggy_low_res_FINAL.jpg

50one
02-16-2012, 10:27 AM
www.sinelab.com/illustrations/images/2012/substation12.jpg

Hi, you're link is wrong. Anyway, I like it:thumbsup::thumbsup:! just the bump is to exaggerated so it looks like old beaten up / scratched plastic.

OnlineRender
02-16-2012, 01:50 PM
great texturing ! only thing that throws me is the glass / black on the top of the model...other than stunning

ncr100
02-17-2012, 02:03 AM
Phatt!

bazsa73
02-17-2012, 02:48 AM
looks good, small pieces of litter, rocks etc. on the ground maybe

erikals
02-17-2012, 06:22 AM
the detail is very nice, but the render looks a bit flat...

Bliz
02-19-2012, 07:07 PM
What would sell this image a bit more would be to spend some time cutting in real geometry on the ground plane.
i.e. model that drain cover that is present in the texture and make it a bit lower than the surrounding concrete. Model each slab of concrete and vary their height and rotation ever so slightly.
Then you'd have some light catching the details of the floor which would break the 'ice rink' flatness of the current floor plane.

erikals
02-21-2012, 05:12 PM
some tricks to make it less flat,...

HRDI
AO
sRGB
tonemapping (or curves)
glow / lensflare
bleach bypass effect
sss for the tyres +more dirt, less specular
camera distortion
window reflection (some use fake reflection, often works good)
noise (in dark areas)
chromatic aberration
color correction / gamut warning correction
how many samples are used in the GI setting? (10 would be good)
p.s. try to not use blurred clouds

added some of the effects, (exaggerated) >
(attached .psd)

sorry, just got carried away here... 

erikals
02-22-2012, 09:22 AM
 
just realized something when it comes to the surfacing of this vehicle.

if the body is made out of plastic, it should be glossy too.
if the body has car paint, it should have rust.
 

cagey5
02-22-2012, 09:35 AM
Maybe it's some form of alloy.

Ryste3d
02-23-2012, 02:51 AM
Just couldn't help it. Post in After Effects.

rikka+
02-23-2012, 03:20 AM
Really nice design! But without postwork looks like unfinished and a bit flat.
The cockpit glass need reflections for give a more rounded shape to the vehicle,and the ladder is too much high for a human scale.
I wouldn't use too much blur in post.The blur smooth the hard edges of the vehicle.I would use it only on the backdrop to give more depth to the image.
Just my 2 cents :)

Forgot... maybe for more image balance you could add more sky!

Ryan Roye
02-23-2012, 03:57 AM
Its just me, but I like the original render best... I feel the renders below add too much light to the scene and get in the way of the effectiveness of the image. I do agree rust is needed, but it looks like the vehicle could very well be made out of a material other than metal and still work. I do agree the ground plane is rather drab compared to the rest of the scene. Maybe cheat and use another, larger bump layer to simulate height variance of slabs? That, and maybe something for the black window of the vehicle as well, it doesn't share the detail of the rest of the image... I imagine some of those scratches/wear from the body would have made it to the window.

Ryste3d
02-23-2012, 05:05 AM
Its just me, but I like the original render best... I feel the renders below add too much light to the scene and get in the way of the effectiveness of the image. I do agree rust is needed, but it looks like the vehicle could very well be made out of a material other than metal and still work. I do agree the ground plane is rather drab compared to the rest of the scene. Maybe cheat and use another, larger bump layer to simulate height variance of slabs? That, and maybe something for the black window of the vehicle as well, it doesn't share the detail of the rest of the image... I imagine some of those scratches/wear from the body would have made it to the window.

I totally agree with you. I also like the original render better.

Waves of light
02-23-2012, 07:10 AM
I'm with them, I think the first render is excellent... apart from ground plane and bump comments above. Just a little reflection on the glass and you're done.

On a funny note, when I first looked at it from distance (and the thumbnail) it looks like a Jabba the Hut Smart Car, lol.

sinelab
02-23-2012, 07:38 AM
Thanks for all the comments all ! thats great its sometimes hard to see yourself, a great learning process and feed back, yeah I think some detail on the glass and floor would be cool and more post work.

sinelab
02-23-2012, 09:25 AM
Thanks For all the comments and suggestions on improvements will take these on board some great ideas thanks : )

erikals
02-23-2012, 09:36 AM
i think some are missing the point, i'm adding post effects, but can't add those effects and make it look good as the original render is too flat.

the idea behind my post is, make a better original render and then add some of these effects in post. but don't exaggerate the effect like i did (it was merely to show the effect)

50one
02-23-2012, 10:31 AM
Well, quite contrary the post processing and painting over is to make the even worst render look great.

Anyway I like this image, don't think it's flat, how can you describe flatness?

The only thing that is missing for sure is something that gives a sense of scale, cause at at the moment sometimes it looks like toy and sometimes like something huge, how can you reach the ladder?from ramp?

erikals
02-23-2012, 10:51 AM
it's hard to describe, too many factors,
maybe putting these two renders side-by-side can explain it.
both are Lightwave renders.

it's also vital to turn off ambient intensity under "light properties"

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=102038&stc=1&d=1330019832

zapper1998
02-23-2012, 11:24 AM
wow
cool

Creativetone
02-23-2012, 12:50 PM
@sinelab - I like also your original render best. :thumbsup:

it's also vital to turn off ambient intensity under "light properties"

I must say, it depends.

I think it is good to know what is Gamma
and how it is affects our renderings and images on the screen.

...and how light behaves.. yes, there is so many things.
Sometimes you just have to trust your artistic eyes.

Some links, if somebody want to study.

Gamma Correction for a linear workflow + Ambient Intensity (http://www.vfxwizard.com/tutorials/gamma-correction-for-linear-workflow.html)
NewTek Thread about Linear Workflow and Matt Gorner's new material (http://35.vincent.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=125082)
Linear workflow and Gamma explanation. (http://www.seazo.no/linear-workflow)
Light for Visual Artists: Understanding & Using Light in Art & Design (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Light-Visual-Artists-Understanding-Design/dp/185669660X/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top)
CG Masters - LightWave | These are very good tutorials! (http://online.cg-masters.com/videos/software/3)

sinelab
02-24-2012, 02:46 AM
Thanks creativetone will check these links out

Bliz
02-26-2012, 05:29 PM
@creativetone - thanks for those links. I'm used to a LWF in mentalray for maya but haven't done it [till right now] in LW 9.6

@erikals - Do you have a link to the thread featuring that comparison vehicle render you used? I haven't been around these forums regularly for a couple of years so don't remember seeing it.

Franco-Jo
02-28-2012, 08:59 AM
Here's a link to the making of 'All Road'

http://www.3dtotal.com/index_tutorial_detailed.php?id=953#.T0z5l3K2_ME

Bliz
02-28-2012, 04:36 PM
Thanks. I haven't been on 3dtotal's website before. Looks interesting.

bazsa73
02-29-2012, 12:13 AM
Hi,
Try placing tiny humanoids on the floor and maybe a lightsource or more below the vehicle where the ladder is. Some glowing lights as in the distant city but could be yellowish so we feel this is not a derelict.
Rolling clouds toward infinity perhaps too, doesn't cost much as you can do it in post. But looks promising. Good luck with it.