PDA

View Full Version : Online Shop Questions and Issues...

sami
02-16-2012, 12:08 AM
I assume everyone is having the same problem downloading from the newtek store as I am?? Firefox keeps disconnecting and downloading 15K zip files and Chrome gets stuck at 8Mb downloads for all of LW 11 files (yes, I tried it on multiple ISPs and locations)....

Why release it to the store if it you can't actually download it?? Now I get it, the download should be actually called the "Inconvenience Upgrade". Excuse my venting, and I'm pretty sure in 10+ years of dedicated Newtek customer loyalty I've never posted anything negative, but this is silly. Just take a couple hundred from one of my many upgrades I've bought and buy an upgraded plan to your Rackspace account with a touch more bandwidth... sigh :bangwall:

I find it hard to believe that tens of thousands of people are successfully downloading LW 11 for the last 7 hours making it impossible for me to get even one single zip of the files down uncorrupted. No decent project manager in *any* launch I've ever known of would let something like this go on for so long, especially when it is Revenue generating - oh hey, but they already charged my card - doh! :neener:

Maybe every one is sleeping because this is a "soft launch" or out celebrating :beerchug: but maybe, guys, just maybe in any tech company, somebody should be on call to fix things??

Btw - I did notice that the LW 11 is out thread was deleted minutes after it was posted in here - so someone's manning the forums, just not the store.... sigh

evenflcw
02-16-2012, 01:46 AM
I had no problems whatsoever 3 hours or so ago. I was even impressed with how smooth it went. I could even do multiple files simultaneously, and got all files (all except mac and trial related) within 10 minutes.

PS. You probably should have posted this in the prerelease section.

Philbert
02-16-2012, 02:01 AM
Yes, this is not supposed to be shared publicly.

OnlineRender
02-16-2012, 02:43 AM
Why put it on the main site then ?(download page ) too late now ....it downloads fine , I grabbed it via my mobile phone .....
Ahh the secret club is busted ...shame now let the peasants have there shot ..see that's the systematic problem when have hush hush clubs ,nobody really knows what is correct or wrong ...I am away to blow stuff up cheers for the heads up .........

kopperdrake
02-16-2012, 03:09 AM
No problem here in FF10.0.1 - try again?

50one
02-16-2012, 03:16 AM
On behalf of all people who do web design / dev - I urge anyone to use proper browser.

A proper browser is not the one you've got your Windows PC supplied with.:thumbsup:

biliousfrog
02-16-2012, 03:51 AM

Why not? The download is shared publicly on the NT site.

I just downloaded the 64bit trial, no sign of LW11 in my personal download section, not sure if I'll be able to register it but it looks like it'll be a lot quicker than waiting for NT to play catch up.

Why hasn't there been an official announcement yet? Why are the users only discovering that LW11 has been released because of hushed forum posts and randomly seeing the software available in the store?

3DGFXStudios
02-16-2012, 04:04 AM
I downloaded everything with a minimum of 12mb/sec :D Never happened before on the Newtek site! Must be your connection?

Sensei
02-16-2012, 04:39 AM
I downloaded everything with a minimum of 12mb/sec :D Never happened before on the Newtek site! Must be your connection?

You must be in the same network as they..
Because I have 120 Mbps network download speed, but from NewTek website from
http://reg.newtek.com/Downloads.aspx
LW v10.1 file goes 200-300 KB/s

GandB
02-16-2012, 05:26 AM
I downloaded the trial overnight; so I don't know what speed it was at. However; when I go to install it, it gives me an error with the Visual Studio Re-distributable (or some such thing)? Shouldn't the install be a smooth process for all?

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/8651/lwerror.png

Exactly what does that mean? It was up for public consumption on the main site. The behind closed doors thing here needs to end.

Sensei
02-16-2012, 05:57 AM
Looks like it's using .NET Framework..

Why do not you do what message is saying?

Or you can install .NET latest version from Microsoft
http://www.microsoft.com/net

sami
02-16-2012, 06:23 AM

What makes you say this? I haven't been told otherwise. I'm a customer since LW 4.0, Newtek has my email address, I wasn't notified of the release I noticed the newtek site no longer mentioned prerelease and went to the store and it was there so I paid for it. I apologize if I've shared a secret that anyone with a browser could find out, but a bit better communication with me would have prevented this post and my frustration...

sami
02-16-2012, 06:40 AM
On behalf of all people who do web design / dev - I urge anyone to use proper browser.

A proper browser is not the one you've got your Windows PC supplied with.:thumbsup:

Which one do you mean: IE? Safari? I mentioned Chrome and Firefox... Anyway it's many hours later and still this (and no it's not my ISP or my computer, I've tried several - all of which with excellent connections):

http://i.imgur.com/Xq6iZ.jpg

sami
02-16-2012, 07:02 AM
PS. You probably should have posted this in the prerelease section.

I don't know of or have access to any such section because before I bought this yesterday, I was a LW 9.6.1 owner - I don't have 10. If I had any idea this was not a real launch or was a launch for prerelease customers only I wouldn't have posted. However, by its very nature being public and taking anyone's credit cards, I assumed it was the full launch.

OnlineRender
02-16-2012, 07:03 AM
Hmm strange I downloaded on my mobile tarrif I'm about 30mins straight onto the sd card ..I would give ie a whirl it could be an error with joomla I noticed it checkedsum on download

biliousfrog
02-16-2012, 07:08 AM
Which one do you mean: IE? Safari? I mentioned Chrome and Firefox... Anyway it's many hours later and still this (and no it's not my ISP or my computer, I've tried several - all of which with excellent connections):

http://i.imgur.com/Xq6iZ.jpg

Have you tried downloading the trial?...it should be exactly the same product, always has been previously. I downloaded it within about 10 minutes on a 2mb connection.

Sensei
02-16-2012, 07:09 AM
Are you directly connected to network, or by some local ISP.. ? Are you using proxy or your ISP is using some proxy?

motivalex
02-16-2012, 07:15 AM
I just downloaded the trial and it took 10 minutes :)

3DGFXStudios
02-16-2012, 07:22 AM
You must be in the same network as they..
Because I have 120 Mbps network download speed, but from NewTek website from
http://reg.newtek.com/Downloads.aspx
LW v10.1 file goes 200-300 KB/s

I guess I got lucky :hey:

50one
02-16-2012, 07:28 AM
Sami is in NZ, it takes a while until the electrons reach them folks:)
No problems here, >600Kb/s all the time.

Now, off to see the boss and talk to him about the upgrading.

OnlineRender
02-16-2012, 07:36 AM
So is Lightwave meant to be out today or not ?quality marketing...I read a good quote on a certain forum today it compared lw11 to duke nukem ...either way congrats and well done .

sami
02-16-2012, 07:39 AM
Are you directly connected to network, or by some local ISP.. ? Are you using proxy or your ISP is using some proxy?

I've tried several ISPs at several connections/locations all of which have very high speeds (except to Newtek's store it seems).

I have just downloaded all the files. I know what happened now. Newtek either intentionally or inadvertantly throttled / choked all international (or perhaps Southern Hemisphere traffic since evenflcw says it worked for him in Sweeden I assume).

I am overseas in NZ on a project at the moment, but logging on to my corporate connection in the US downloads fine (slowish, but fine ~800KB/sec). It's the same pipe, so it must be a problem or on purpose with the store.

Quite frustrating this "soft launch" with no communication and me having to jump through hoops to get 11. I hope my tone here was reasonable enough as I was seeking assistance and confirmation, but I tell you buying a product shouldn't be this hard.

:jam: Ever fallen in love with software, you shouldn't have fallen in love with? ;D

stiff paper
02-16-2012, 08:17 AM
...but I tell you buying a product shouldn't be this hard.

Perhaps the connection just doesn't like Buzzcocks fans?

sami
02-16-2012, 08:25 AM
Perhaps the connection just doesn't like Buzzcocks fans?

lol. I'm sure it was a cover on the Twilight soundtrack too. :p

My point was to say I love the software, but not the development process and marketing of it. I'm sure even ardent fans of LW would agree that the love affair with this application has been a rocky one over the years and it takes a dedicated customer to stick with it. I realize now I must tread lightly now as I don't want to incur the wrath of the LW community, apparently one disatisfied post in many years can do that these days. Besides I have work to do with this cool 3D app. :)

rcallicotte
02-16-2012, 08:31 AM
Demo downloaded in a flash here.

sami
02-16-2012, 08:43 AM
Demo downloaded in a flash here.

btw I wasn't talking about the demo. I was talking about the purchased product from the Newtek store download links emailed to you after purchase.

Cryonic
02-16-2012, 09:11 AM
I've tried several ISPs at several connections/locations all of which have very high speeds (except to Newtek's store it seems).

I have just downloaded all the files. I know what happened now. Newtek either intentionally or inadvertantly throttled / choked all international (or perhaps Southern Hemisphere traffic since evenflcw says it worked for him in Sweeden I assume).

I am overseas in NZ on a project at the moment, but logging on to my corporate connection in the US downloads fine (slowish, but fine ~800KB/sec). It's the same pipe, so it must be a problem or on purpose with the store.

Quite frustrating this "soft launch" with no communication and me having to jump through hoops to get 11. I hope my tone here was reasonable enough as I was seeking assistance and confirmation, but I tell you buying a product shouldn't be this hard.

Or there could be an issue with the NZ connection to the States. You mentioned trying different ISPs, but they all share the same pipe from NZ to the US, so if something was buggered in that link, it would affect all NZ ISPs and different browsers wouldn't help/fix the problem. And Newtek has no control over any connection other than the one immediately to their servers.

sami
02-16-2012, 09:22 AM
Or there could be an issue with the NZ connection to the States. You mentioned trying different ISPs, but they all share the same pipe from NZ to the US, so if something was buggered in that link, it would affect all NZ ISPs and different browsers wouldn't help/fix the problem. And Newtek has no control over any connection other than the one immediately to their servers.

Yes, that would be the case if all other US sites (other than Newtek's store) had the same trouble or if my corporate VPN running over the same pipe from the US to NZ also suffered from that problem. But that's not the case, it is clearly a problem or oversight or something with the Newtek store to this region (as it appears others in Europe have no issues). But I won't belabor the point, I'm happy now; I got my paid for software - but I would still be in this dilemma if I didn't have access to such a connection, which I imagine most customers don't have.

Chuck
02-16-2012, 10:59 AM
So is Lightwave meant to be out today or not ?quality marketing...I read a good quote on a certain forum today it compared lw11 to duke nukem ...either way congrats and well done .

No, it is not announced and officially released to the public yet.

And bringing in LightWave 11 at 7 months after the release of 10.1, the Duke Nukem comment is so completely baseless it's just tragic.

Chuck
02-16-2012, 11:06 AM
We're using an international CDN with nodes all over the world, and are most certainly not throttling any zone. Full propagation does take 48 hours or so though, so maybe this has something to do with the issue if there is a zone-related problem, as some of the reports from Australia, New Zealand, and a couple of other locations indicate. This has been reported to our IT staff and they've requested contact info for folks who are experiencing this so we can look into it.

Please PM me with email contact info, anyone who is experiencing bandwidth problems on the download.

When there is a problem, it truly is not reasonable to assume that it has been deliberately created. Reasonable is to report it, so it can be resolved.

Chuck
02-16-2012, 11:19 AM
I don't know of or have access to any such section because before I bought this yesterday, I was a LW 9.6.1 owner - I don't have 10. If I had any idea this was not a real launch or was a launch for prerelease customers only I wouldn't have posted. However, by its very nature being public and taking anyone's credit cards, I assumed it was the full launch.

It's not, but any difficulties you are having with getting your purchase we're certainly most willing to try to get addressed for you.

Yes, the intention right now is simply to allow the pre-release folks to get the product. The formal announcement and public launch will come later.

We may remove the threads in the public area if the tone seems problematic; but we'll try it for a bit and if folks can be reasonable and contained and maybe just consider working with us to smooth the way for the public release, we'll let it ride.

OnlineRender
02-16-2012, 11:53 AM
No, it is not announced and officially released to the public yet.

And bringing in LightWave 11 at 7 months after the release of 10.1, the Duke Nukem comment is so completely baseless it's just tragic.

well considering the forum that it was on I would not hold it in high regard nor take to heart in fact I would be watching it very closely however that is another issue for another day .... I'm glad it's out and I am glad there was no big hoooha even though it was a little *untoward* but what concerns me more than ohhh LW11 is out , is I noticed that you worked on live site rather than a local build , this can be easily avoided but its also the quickest way to corrupt the joomla DB and trust me from experince its not fun ...

either way well done , solid build...

Chuck
02-16-2012, 12:20 PM
Folks,

We are indeed doing a soft-launch test of our public systems in order to prepare for the public launch of LightWave 11. There are things to be worked on so not everything is fully smooth at the moment. We would appreciate if any discussion of this would be kept to the NewTek forums, and let's keep it low key and in the family. I've retitled this thread and will be monitoring discussions and passing along the feedback as needed to various departments.

Let's save the excitement for the full release and formal announcement.

And for those who have purchased LightWave 11 from the online shop or who have downloaded the LightWave 11 Trial Edition, thank you! :)

sami
02-16-2012, 12:46 PM
It's not, but any difficulties you are having with getting your purchase we're certainly most willing to try to get addressed for you.

Yes, the intention right now is simply to allow the pre-release folks to get the product. The formal announcement and public launch will come later.

We may remove the threads in the public area if the tone seems problematic; but we'll try it for a bit and if folks can be reasonable and contained and maybe just consider working with us to smooth the way for the public release, we'll let it ride.

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate your response, although this confusion and the difficulties I had experienced (I solved them by downloading in the US) would have been avoided with a bit more communication - such as a post here or a comment in the store that it was for v10 customers only. A "softer launch" would have been to not make it public or sell it until v10 customers got it through a custom download.

I'm happy for you to delete this thread, and appreciate your assistance and the hard work that must have gone into LW11 (which is one of the reasons why I bought it), and I appreciate your need to keep things controlled in the forums, however I'm quite sure that my tone (although a touch disappointed/frustrated while seeking assistance) was reasonable, polite, and measured. The reason I posted here was because the last few times I emailed cs it took days to receive a response and I assumed you were closed and people are always here. I'll assume you weren't characterizing my posts as counterproductive :) especially considering I'm such a loyal customer for so long ;)

OnlineRender
02-16-2012, 12:58 PM
+1 for delete thread , easy to save xml file for further reading , if not delete start a new one FAQ or something I removed the comments from FB also ...

Chuck
02-16-2012, 01:33 PM
Those of you in Australia and other locations reporting download speed issues:

Our content distribution network provider has identified a network issue impacting Australia, South and Eastern Asia downloads. They are working to resolve that.

OnlineRender
02-16-2012, 02:40 PM
somebody please remove the hardcore image from the registration page its a complete waste of a click and distracts from the main goal ...

OnlineRender
02-16-2012, 04:04 PM
btw congrats on the software , right down to the UI being much cleaner ,more fluent and looks like a lot more solid ! btw Bullet is a little wonky

OnlineRender
02-17-2012, 08:12 AM
switched on the pc this morning , LW was back in disco mode , hmm strange it was in trail no problems last night, re-entered the serial provided and it engaged again

OnlineRender
02-17-2012, 09:02 AM
ok here is my issue the only way the trail works for me , is the fact I need to be online , when I unplug my mobile "teethering" atm no LAN , it goes back into disco , but it hangs in trail mode as if the hub is not happy

colkai
02-17-2012, 09:16 AM
'Tis not filling me with confidence to try this. I wonder why some have no trouble at all and others it just "sulks"?

Dexter2999
02-17-2012, 09:21 AM
trail=trial because we know you weren't hiking or looking for your sister, "Gretel"

But we know what you're talking about. ;)

OnlineRender
02-17-2012, 09:21 AM
it could because my mac code changes because of the teethering I noticed the code changes when I am off-line ... edit let my try something.

OnlineRender
02-17-2012, 09:24 AM
yeah it is , mac code generated I switched to offline grabed the code , registered again and it now works offline, so does that mean I have 60 days :) edit damn should have saved that after the first trial had ran out ...ohh well got to live up to the the idiot persona
-------------------------------
need to watch the registration pick the top one not the bottom that registers for V9

*** this one is LW!1 LightWave 3D Product Registration

OnlineRender
02-17-2012, 09:58 AM
trail=trial because we know you weren't hiking or looking for your sister, "Gretel"

But we know what you're talking about. ;)

ohh well got to live up to the the idiot persona
-------------------------------

I rest my case that and I blame predictive text with terrible grammar

prometheus
02-19-2012, 09:30 AM
Utterly confusing...donīt know wich version I am supposed to download actually, is this coupon code download and being directed to the full shop with different alternativs the best way to link lightwave pre-release customers to the right download?

I got the lightwave 11 full for 1.495
or the uppgrade download only for 495?

wich one to choose when I already got the lw pre-release?

Michael

prometheus
02-19-2012, 10:58 AM
Anyone??:(

Philbert
02-19-2012, 11:40 AM
I believe it was said earlier that it was the upgrade you want. Though since it directly relates to the pre-release you're most likely to get the best answer in the pre-release forum.