PDA

View Full Version : lw 11 trial?

stevenpalomino
02-15-2012, 05:21 PM
Anyone else notice this? I think something is about to happen ;)

Nicolas Jordan
02-15-2012, 05:31 PM
Naw, the way things are going it will probably another couple of weeks yet. ;)

PointC
02-15-2012, 05:54 PM
:)

stevenpalomino
02-15-2012, 06:08 PM
aaaaand it's out!

GandB
02-16-2012, 05:29 AM
I downloaded the trial overnight, and tried installing it just now. However; when I go to install it, it gives me an error with the Visual Studio Re-distributable (or some such thing)? Shouldn't the install be a smooth process for all?

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/8651/lwerror.png

50one
02-16-2012, 05:43 AM
Make sure you're running the installer as admin, or log in as admin and do install, VS Re-distributables have nothing to do with newtek, try installing latest version of 'em from MS site.:thumbsup:

biliousfrog
02-16-2012, 05:48 AM
I've also heard that you need to remove the dongle when installing...maybe give that a go if you haven't already

GandB
02-16-2012, 05:50 AM
Running in Admin mode has the same result. I was under the assumption that any redistributable needed to run the core program was included in the setup?

Billious posted when I did. Perhaps they could put together an FAQ for the demo? I understand that would require some work on the website from their end...but still. ;)

50one
02-16-2012, 05:58 AM
Yep, that could help, I installed trial on a machine that don't have any other software.
Yeah, they're included, what's funny is that when you're constantly installing new software, most of them got different version of those built-in / Autodesk.

JohnMarchant
02-16-2012, 05:58 AM
http://www.newtek.com/lightwave-downloads.html

GandB
02-16-2012, 06:54 AM
Well; I can tell it's still early in the morning for me. I had installed updates, but neglected to restart my computer....it installs fine now.

colkai
02-16-2012, 07:14 AM
Well I develop in VS2008 so I should avoid that hiccup if I decide to install it, downloading it just in case I feel the need. As you do.

wrightyp100
02-16-2012, 08:59 AM
Anyone else notice a lack of fanfare?

50one
02-16-2012, 09:13 AM
Anyone else notice a lack of fanfare?

I could imagine the whole press release and other stuff the marketing department was working on for the past two weeks or more is yet to come, so yeah, let's wait, We the LW users know how to be patient:)

ernesttx
02-16-2012, 09:54 AM
I was all excited to download the trial last night; only to discover that the one feature I wanted to test out quite extensively was not available in the demo - Fracture.

Totally disappointed and a great way to loss a potential customer Newtek.

Regards.

50one
02-16-2012, 09:58 AM
You're kidding me right?Haven't tested it fully yet, will give it a serious spin this evening, that would be pita.:grumpy:

wrench
02-16-2012, 10:03 AM
@ernesttx. You are running in Discovery Edition mode. If you register and use it as a trial edition it will work.

B

OnlineRender
02-16-2012, 10:07 AM
Fracture is there all the things they said are there all the things the demoed is there all the things they promised to deliver is there ...

50one
02-16-2012, 10:07 AM
@ernesttx. You are running in Discovery Edition mode. If you register and use it as a trial edition it will work.

B

Hah! Thanks for clarifying:)!

ernesttx
02-16-2012, 10:09 AM
I did register it last night (thinking that was the reason). But when I click on the Fracture button it states "Not available in trial/demo mode". I will check again tonight when I get home.

Nicolas Jordan
02-16-2012, 10:18 AM
Does anyone know how to go about registering the Trial to get out of discovery mode?

wrench
02-16-2012, 10:21 AM
You go to http://reg.newtek.com and you register a trial using the 12-digit serial number presented in the About when you start LightWave.

B

Nicolas Jordan
02-16-2012, 10:24 AM
You go to http://reg.newtek.com and you register a trial using the 12-digit serial number presented in the About when you start LightWave.

B

I only see a 5 digit product lock number on the "About" screen. :stumped: Edit: I forgot to pull my dongle out. Now I finally got the serial! :)

MrWyatt
02-16-2012, 10:37 AM

B

it doesn't work.
I downloaded, installed, registered with the serial provided in the splash screen, got a license key wich I entered and although it said the license was created after a restart I got the same thing. I cannot get it out of demo mode. I thought the 30 day demo was without restrictions. When I try to re-register the demo version the website tells me that I already got all my 30 day lics and cannot get a new one.

so much for demo I guess.

well that should make my decision wether to upgrade or not all the more easy. Either NT gets this sorted out or I am sure not to buy in. I wanted to wait for the demo and now the demo wont let me do much. This sucks. I know this isn't your fault Ben, btw hope you are well, but this situation doesn't help in raising my confidence in NT.

wrench
02-16-2012, 10:40 AM
@Guillaume: Check your license.key doesn't have more than one line in it.
@Nicolas: remove the dongle.

B

MrWyatt
02-16-2012, 10:46 AM
@Guillaume: Check your license.key doesn't have more than one line in it.
@Nicolas: remove the dongle.

B

checked. It doesn't. It is like it should be. It is just not working

wrench
02-16-2012, 10:53 AM
Are you sure that it's not trial edition? It still has a watermark on the interface, but it has trial instead of disco.

B

MrWyatt
02-16-2012, 10:56 AM
Are you sure that it's not trial edition? It still has a watermark on the interface, but it has trial instead of disco.

B

nope. it clearly is the disco version and I am sooooo over disco. I wouldn't mind a foxtrott versio though.

fxrtst
02-16-2012, 10:59 AM
So is build 2238 (trial) Final Gold version?

wrench
02-16-2012, 11:19 AM
@MrWyatt: Damn. :( Okay, I'll get back to you.
@fxrtist: Yes, 2238 is 11.0 final.

B

dwburman
02-16-2012, 12:16 PM
I'm having the same problem.

I unplugged my dongle.
Ran LW 11, copied the trial serial number, clicked on the register button and registered the trial at NT. The registration page gave me a license number registered to Lock ID:Trial Edition. I put that License number in using the Help>Enter License menu option. Pasted the license key in and got a "...sucessfully written. Restart LightWave to end Discovery mode!" message. I restarted LW11 and I'm still in discovery mode with the splash screen telling me that "The hardware lock was not found"

I did check the license.key file and it looks okay to me.

Oh, and the "Help" button on the splash screen goes to newtek.com/faq, which automatically and immediately redirects to newtek.com.

50one
02-16-2012, 12:21 PM
I guess ,we're both in the same boat...

I unplugged my dongle.
Ran LW 11, copied the trial serial number, clicked on the register button and registered the trial at NT. The registration page gave me a license number registered to Lock ID:Trial Edition. I put that License number in using the Help>Enter License menu option. Pasted the license key in and got a "...sucessfully written. Restart LightWave to end Discovery mode!" message. I restarted LW11 and I'm still in discovery mode with the splash screen telling me that "The hardware lock was not found"

Oh, and the "Help" button on the splash screen goes to newtek.com/faq, which automatically and immediately redirects to newtek.com.

MrWyatt
02-16-2012, 12:23 PM

I unplugged my dongle.

looks like NT messed up yet again.

dwburman
02-16-2012, 12:27 PM
Oh, and fracture works in modeler even in discovery mode... although it hits the 400 point limit so it can't complete. In Layout, the more limited version of fracture, says it doesn't work in trial mode.

@MrWyatt - since it hasn't officially been announced yet, I can accept a problem or two, but if they want new customers, they should sort these problems out ASAP.

mborge
02-16-2012, 12:28 PM
Trial version is working for me as follows:

Did a custom install without my dongle in and didn't install sentinel installer.
After install, I clicked register on the splash screen that came up.
I registered with the 12 digit serial number in the bottom left corner of that same splash screen.
After I registered I took the license they gave me and went to "Layout - Help - Enter License" and entered it then restarted.
Now I have a Trial water mark instead of a Discovery and Fracture tool works. Hope that helps!

http://www.cyborge.com/IMAGES/LW11_TRIAL.jpg

wrench
02-16-2012, 12:34 PM
Makes me wonder if it's a UAC problem? What happens if you navigate to your license.key file and put the code in manually? Guillaume, it's not that "NT messed up again". I know several people that have managed just fine, so there's some difference between their machines and yours is all.

If you want to know where your license.key file is, it will be in:

C:\Users\<username>\.NewTek\LightWave\11.0\licenses\license.key

B

MrWyatt
02-16-2012, 12:52 PM
Makes me wonder if it's a UAC problem? What happens if you navigate to your license.key file and put the code in manually? Guillaume, it's not that "NT messed up again". I know several people that have managed just fine, so there's some difference between their machines and yours is all.

If you want to know where your license.key file is, it will be in:

C:\Users\<username>\.NewTek\LightWave\11.0\licenses\license.key

B

done that already. the license.key is there and it has the correct number in it. I checked more than once. Don't get me wrong Ben. I don't think NT did mean any harm. It is just that a bunch of people here have the same problem for no good reason, and this tells me that it is not a "User-IQ-too-low-Error".
;)

jasonwestmas
02-16-2012, 02:33 PM
I only see a 5 digit product lock number on the "About" screen. :stumped: Edit: I forgot to pull my dongle out. Now I finally got the serial! :)

DOH! I forgot I need to pull the dongle key out to get the serial.

WillCameron
02-16-2012, 03:04 PM
I'm having the trial key not working issue as well. Also, when you go and register the trial through Newtek Lightwave 11 doesn't show up under your registered products (unless it takes awhile (hours?) to get added).

Also, when you load in any of the three Fiber Effect scenes from the demo content, none of them render off the bat with Fibers. I dunno if this is because of the Discovery Edition issue though. (or I'm doing something wrong. Its been awhile since I did anything with Lightwave really.)

System Specs: (incase its a hardware issue maybe)
Windows 7 ultimate 64
Intel I7-950 Quad Core
MSI x58M SLI Mobo
12 Gig XMS3 DDR3

- Will.

OnlineRender
02-16-2012, 03:33 PM
register , get your code " there is no product selection " just LW and it generates the correct key ... launch LW11 goto help enter key . restart , worked for me

fxrtst11
02-16-2012, 03:48 PM
Got the trial working. The docs are thin. But trying to get an object with displacement texture set to world to instance and flock. Does not deform. Guessing that the object tied to the instancing can only have .mdd for motion? The fish motion in the tut is from .mdd. Any one on beta can tell me the requirments for flocking motion.

3D Kiwi
02-16-2012, 04:53 PM
Sounds like its time for NT to get rid of discovery mode and just have a 30day trial. (or they could start a new trend and make it 60days)

Autodesk apps work this way. You install and if you dont have a lic then it starts in trial mode for 30days, no need to register, and at anytime you can buy it and just add your serial number etc.

OnlineRender
02-16-2012, 05:05 PM
disco mode was never the same as trail mode , in fact trail mode lw11 is more restricted than the full mode they used to have ,or so it first seems ... disco mode will run with restrictions , trail should be full , but i think the new trail version has some restrictions I maybe wrong in this statement .... however splashing trail all over the ui is an ugly move why not one line of text

lwanmtr
02-16-2012, 07:35 PM
I have the same issue of it not leaving discovery mode for the trial period....I enter the license I got and it says somthing like 'incorrect for isntalled dongle'...my dongle is not attached...i've rebooted, everything, checked license.key, etc.... refuses to go into the 30 day trial mode....

OnlineRender
02-17-2012, 09:00 AM
I need to be online for my trial to go from disco - trial , once I have entered the code.

GandB
02-17-2012, 09:58 AM
Sounds like a bunch of hoops you go through to get it to work properly. Like I said (not sure if it was this thread, or one of the ones they "shut down"), they should put together an FAQ for this. Of course the alternative would be for myself and others to simply update and be done with it. ;)

Matt
02-17-2012, 10:20 AM
looks like NT messed up yet again.

Ummmmm, nope.

OnlineRender
02-17-2012, 10:33 AM
Sounds like a bunch of hoops you go through to get it to work properly. Like I said (not sure if it was this thread, or one of the ones they "shut down"), they should put together an FAQ for this. Of course the alternative would be for myself and others to simply update and be done with it. ;)

its not that difficult , its just because I was tethering on my mobile at the time my mac code changed so I need to be online to enable it to go into TRIAL mode,however if I go offline and use my machine default mac code and I can re-register and it works ok ..

just be careful you don't register for V9 select the top one on the registration page

once it spams the code write it down or copy and paste to notepad don't wait on an email because I still have not received one

open LW goto help enter serial ,done works fine , the only issue I have is why spam trial all over the ui what is wrong with a subtle little text at the bottom its kinda distracting but other than meh

Samus
02-17-2012, 10:41 AM
Works fine Here!! with the dongle plugged.

One thing that is a bug to me is no BULLET CLOTH

Cheers!

Samus
02-17-2012, 10:46 AM
However not to say only bad things!! still looking into the features but FRACTURE in LAyout is Amazing

dwburman
02-17-2012, 11:24 AM
Okay, so what exactly product should we be selecting from the pop up menu on the registration page?

I suspect that I registered it under the wrong thing since it shows up in registration under LW9. However, the registration menu doesn't say LightWave9, it says LightWave 3D. I didn't see the LightWave Trial Edition option when I registered it the first time. I'll try to reregister next when I have the time.

That menu should be edited. I don't think anyone will be registering for the LW 9.6 Open Beta anymore and the LightWave HardCore should probably be changed to LW10 or removed entirely (if the LightWave 3D registration covers all versions of LightWave).

MrWyatt
02-17-2012, 11:52 AM
Ummmmm, nope.

Well... let me put it this way.

1. I copied the serial code from the splash screen.
2. I registered the trial
3. I copied and pasted the license
4. It got written and LW said it was successful.
5. I checked to see if the license was actually written and as you can see it was.

So it should work, shouldn't it?
But it doesn't. every time I start it it starts in discovery mode NOT in trial.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I did everything as it should be and it doesn't work. So I naturally come to the logic conclusion that someone must have done a mistake.

The possibilities are as follows:

A. I did something wrong (wich I doubt)
B. NT did something wrong, and I couldn't care less if it was the dev team, IT or CS. the point is I cannot test the software, yet my trial license starts running out.

The thing is so obvious it's not even funny. Sorry pal, but "Ummmmm, nope." isn't changing the fact that "Ummmmm, Yeah. NT messed up yet again"

jasonwestmas
02-17-2012, 11:57 AM
Mr. Wyatt You don't have windows UAC on do you?

MrWyatt
02-17-2012, 11:59 AM
Mr. Wyatt You don't have windows UAC on do you?

What is UAC?

jasonwestmas
02-17-2012, 12:03 PM
What is UAC?

I guess you're on XP then? User Account Control prevents LW from writing the key to your Newtek Folder in user accounts folder. If it's on you must disable it and restart your computer. I personally turn it off completely.

MrWyatt
02-17-2012, 12:04 PM
Sorry just checked. It is OFF.
should it be on?

edit:
no I'm on Windows 7
and as I have already posted here is the image proving that the license gets indeed written and it shows the same number as on the registration page.

The irritating thing is: It SHOULD work, But it doesn't. Maybe the license provided by NT is simply wrong and not working.

cresshead
02-17-2012, 12:09 PM
once we get a 100% reliable method to install on windows with the demo version i'll try it out...you guys keep ticking down that 60days to sort it all out for me!

cheers!

jasonwestmas
02-17-2012, 12:09 PM
should it be on?

edit:
no I'm on Windows 7

nope, should be off. Not sure what else could be wrong but if you have a license file in your licenses folder under
users>"your name">.Newtek>11.0>Licenses, then you can just open that up in a text editor and then copy and paste your license in there, I'm guessing and reboot LW11.0.

If that doesn't work try installing to C:NewTek not C:Program Files/NewTek

Edit: yeah I suppose there is a chance the license number is incorrect.

Nicolas Jordan
02-17-2012, 12:11 PM
should it be on?

edit:
no I'm on Windows 7
and as I have already posted here is the image proving that the license gets indeed written and it shows the same number as on the registration page.

The irritating thing is: It SHOULD work, But it doesn't. Maybe the license provided by NT is simply wrong and not working.

:thumbsup: I always keep UAC turned OFF. It's a huge pain in the butt when it's turned on.

MrWyatt
02-17-2012, 12:14 PM
Guys, please, UAC is NOT the issue here.
I HAVE checked the license.
It IS there and
It DOES contain the right numbers.

Doesn't anyone check out attached images anymore?

OnlineRender
02-17-2012, 12:14 PM
Okay, so what exactly product should we be selecting from the pop up menu on the registration page?

I suspect that I registered it under the wrong thing since it shows up in registration under LW9. However, the registration menu doesn't say LightWave9, it says LightWave 3D. I didn't see the LightWave Trial Edition option when I registered it the first time. I'll try to reregister next when I have the time.

That menu should be edited. I don't think anyone will be registering for the LW 9.6 Open Beta anymore and the LightWave HardCore should probably be changed to LW10 or removed entirely (if the LightWave 3D registration covers all versions of LightWave).

thats what I was saying you really need to watch it or you gimp the lic and register for 9 ,its bad workflow , mr W it sounds like the exact same thing as me , its as if your code is set for a different mac code , did you do it online at the time ? or a different machine , have a look at the registration page , my downloads when in disco mode and cross reference the serial to make sure its generated the same one .

OnlineRender
02-17-2012, 12:18 PM
you have registered for version 9, not LW 11 looks at the page again , thats why its not working ........not bad for an idiot !*thats me btw*

again bad workflow on the registration side , you need to select the top one , you will either need to contact CS or cheat the mac code and re-register if you have a mobile phone you can do it via tethering only draw back being you need to be online to enable or defaults back to your main mac

MrWyatt
02-17-2012, 12:20 PM
thats what I was saying you really need to watch it or you gimp the lic and register for 9 ,its bad workflow , mr W it sounds like the exact same thing as me , its as if your code is set for a different mac code , did you do it online at the time ? or a different machine , have a look at the registration page , my downloads when in disco mode and cross reference the serial to make sure its generated the same one .

same machine. look at the registration in the attached image. it should WORK.

MrWyatt
02-17-2012, 12:22 PM
you have registered for version 9, not LW 11 looks at the page again , thats why its not working ........not bad for an idiot !*thats me btw*

on my registration page it says NOTHING about 9.

OnlineRender
02-17-2012, 12:25 PM
its an easy mistake to make but it should look like this ...

MrWyatt
02-17-2012, 12:29 PM
Well in that case. NT still messed up with the registration workflow. I'm out. I will not jump throu hoops to get a new license, so no testing for me. And because I cannot test, I wont buy. Another 395$ saved.
Wife will be happy.

OnlineRender
02-17-2012, 12:30 PM
it could be the translation has thrown you or the fact that its bad way to give registration

dwburman
02-17-2012, 12:36 PM
I tried registering it under LightWave 3D. Somehow I missed the LightWave Trial Edition. I ended up calling Newtek and (after being on hold to wait to talk to someone and then on hold while they were working on the problem) they gave me a new license key that works.

As I said (or at least typed, if not posted), NT should proabably rename and/or remove some of those options.

OnlineRender
02-17-2012, 12:37 PM
Well in that case. NT still messed up with the registration workflow. I'm out. I will not jump throu hoops to get a new license, so no testing for me. And because I cannot test, I wont buy. Another 395$ saved.
Wife will be happy.

totally your choice and cash mate , however its not really meant to be out this early so they maybe still ironing small things like this out and they may argue that it say TRAIL on the form , but its still silly it should at least mention LW11 , but if I had $400 i would defo get it just for the goz function alone , but its your dosh and get where you coming from .

davx
02-17-2012, 12:45 PM
Hi all,

Perhaps they should just list "Lightwave 11 Trial", it should be less misleading...

Good night, and good try !!

WillCameron
02-17-2012, 12:56 PM
ah yes, thats what happened it registered as Lightwave 9. The Lightwave 3d Trial selection wasnt there when I registered and I just selected Lightwave 3D at the time.
And now since I dont have a landline and my cell is crappy out here in the wilds of outside boston, I have to decide between Phone Games and doing other things...
I suppose I'll try E-Mail...

- Will.

jasonwestmas
02-17-2012, 12:56 PM
Wife will be happy.

NT confused us? Stop the press! lol, That's no excuse, get with the program! ;)

Samus
02-17-2012, 12:58 PM
Hi MrWyatt !!

You did everything right...Only you need to restart LW once you registered.
Lightwave should then once rebooted tell you that you have a 30 day Trial!

PS: in registration of Newtek website select LW Trial!!!!

Good Luck!

cresshead
02-17-2012, 01:23 PM
are there yet?...Do we now have a 100% cast iron way to install, register and use the demo?

jasonwestmas
02-17-2012, 01:31 PM
are there yet?...Do we now have a 100% cast iron way to install, register and use the demo?

Yep, I've been inside the trial since yesterday.

cresshead
02-17-2012, 01:34 PM
can you install the trial version on more than one machine to evaluate lw11, i'm thinking of home and work to see how useful the upgrade would be so i can make the most of my time with lw11

cresshead
02-17-2012, 01:37 PM
additional Q...is there a save as 10 option for any work done in the demo..in modeller for example?

jasonwestmas
02-17-2012, 01:45 PM
additional Q...is there a save as 10 option for any work done in the demo..in modeller for example?

There is only the 9.2 and lower file export options available. I don't think there are many nodes other than the shadow catcher and FFX nodes that wouldn't port over.

I have no idea if you can install the demo on two different computers, I presume you can.

Samus
02-17-2012, 01:51 PM
can you install the trial version on more than one machine to evaluate lw11, i'm thinking of home and work to see how useful the upgrade would be so i can make the most of my time with lw11

Indeed CressHead! That's what i did...All you need is the same installer an Serial.

Cheers

cresshead
02-17-2012, 01:59 PM
Indeed CressHead! That's what i did...All you need is the same installer an Serial.

Cheers

thanks..i'll start playing with lw11 on monday then:thumbsup:

lwanmtr
02-17-2012, 02:02 PM
Haha....I registered but it gave me a LW9 code....

Matt
02-17-2012, 03:35 PM
Well... let me put it this way

I'm gonna put my user hat on for a second and try going through this myself ...

Be right back.

lwanmtr
02-17-2012, 03:38 PM
easy fix..called NT and got the activation

Matt
02-17-2012, 05:11 PM
I just went though this process as a 'user', worked first time, no issues at all.

I think some are selecting the wrong entry in the Registration dropdown. So not a failing, but user error.

That said, that menu does have a lot of things to choose from.

We're also putting together a PDF to explain the process, which should help.

-FP-
02-17-2012, 06:57 PM
Got the trial key and the new stuff is working great, except Fiber Factory.
It won't do anything. It slows down the render, but no fibers render.
The demo scenes produce no fur at all.
And clicking "Abort" after a render locks up everything cold for over fifteen seconds in any scene.
Otherwise, looking good...

jasonwestmas
02-17-2012, 08:03 PM
Got the trial key and the new stuff is working great, except Fiber Factory.
It won't do anything. It slows down the render, but no fibers render.
The demo scenes produce no fur at all.
And clicking "Abort" after a render locks up everything cold for over fifteen seconds in any scene.
Otherwise, looking good...

Zapper did this:

"Saved out the surface after scene loaded..
deactivated the bird...
loaded the surface
activated the bird.... works fine after that."

-FP-
02-17-2012, 11:03 PM
I will try that. I don't want no dang smooth modern birds. That's treading into pedal file territory.

Roger Harris
02-18-2012, 09:29 AM
So now that I've registered as LW 3d instead of LW Trial, I cannot re-register the same serial number? How do I get it un-registered to start again? Without phoning USA from hre in the UK that is? Will [email protected] respond to an email?
It's just bloody stupid that we have to go through this every time. People moan about Adobe etc. but Newtek must get the award for most pain in the a*** customer relations. Just do it right Newtek, it can't possibly be that hard!! Next time, when you say you're releasing it, then release it.. or just don't say. Make it a dongle free simple install (fat chance) and make it so us Europeans can just buy it and download it and not have to wait for flippin' dvd's for chrissakes... If only I could get my money back!

jasonwestmas
02-18-2012, 09:32 AM
I don't know what process you are doing but it's fast to register a new serial number online.

Roger Harris
02-18-2012, 09:35 AM
I don't know what process you are doing but it's fast to register a new serial number online.

Not if you've registered the same number to the wrong product in the pull-down. Then it's impossible

WillCameron
02-18-2012, 10:29 AM
if you send something about the accidental lw9 registration to [email protected] they'll atleast generate a ticket (like they did for me). still aiting to hear back
one way or another. I think it might be a bad time to have done it friday into the weekend.
If I actually call customer service over the weekend is there anybody there?
And I just remembered its a 3 day weekend too.

- Will.
Shoulda just walked down the block yesterday. frump.

-FP-
02-18-2012, 10:42 AM
Still not getting FF to display in renders, but I'll keep hammering at it.

Meanwhile, the interface slowness is bothersome.
Hitting F9 doesn't always bring up the render screen immediately like it does in 9.6. It occasionally takes several seconds to appear. It's random, though.

Most troubling is the amount of time the system locks up after hitting ABORT or CONTINUE when the render is complete. I just timed it to be sure. It's 23 to 28 SECONDS. That's crazy.

I hope these issues are limited to the trial.
The actual rendering itself of legacy scenes is blazing fast, but the half-minute delay after hitting ABORT puts a real crimp in continuity of work.

Markc
02-18-2012, 03:36 PM
When will we be able to buy at the reduced rate (only option on the store is for $695 upgrade)?

lwanmtr
02-18-2012, 03:46 PM
695 is the new upgrade price....no reduced rate

Markc
02-18-2012, 04:11 PM
I thought if you where in from beginning of Core it was $395 for 60 days after release of LW11!

Markc
02-18-2012, 04:26 PM
This link from Rob Powers indicates $395

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=123618

lwanmtr
02-18-2012, 04:49 PM
ohh...for hardcore people....nvm

jasonwestmas
02-18-2012, 05:19 PM
This link from Rob Powers indicates $395

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=123618

you should've gotten your discount when you logged into the store with the new password NT have you. If you are a charter customer but the discount is not there in the store you should contact [email protected]

Markc
02-18-2012, 05:21 PM
Ah, found email from last year with login details....works.

caesar
02-19-2012, 02:31 PM
I got a non working serial from the "lw 3d" menu in the register page, and I can't use the trial too. Where can I contact NT by email for a new one?

jasonwestmas
02-19-2012, 03:18 PM
I got a non working serial from the "lw 3d" menu in the register page, and I can't use the trial too. Where can I contact NT by email for a new one?

[email protected]

50one
02-20-2012, 12:35 PM
So, finally managed to find some time and decided to register the trial once again- this time from my home PC. went to reg.newtek.com, picked the correct option, entered my serial number, entered the key, restarted....and it still runs in disco mode, even tho the license.key is where it should be with the proper key inside....

50one
02-20-2012, 12:47 PM
Oh yeah there's a "Lightwave 3D Trial" just below the "Accessory"..picked the "Lightwave 3D" oh FFS!

-FP-
02-20-2012, 01:11 PM
Like so many previous posters, I entered the wrong thing at first and accidentally registered a 9.6 trial instead of 11.

When I tried to register again the right way, the web form said something like "All trial keys are exhausted for your serial number. Please call Newtek".

I said "skroo dat", and tried the form again, except I took a shot in the dark and added 1 to the serial number displayed on the splash screen. It worked! A functioning trial key was generated. I am now two days into my thirty days of play.

50one
02-20-2012, 01:18 PM
LOL, hehe, anyway now the reg.newtek.com doesn't work at all - script error, oh well...

OnlineRender
02-21-2012, 01:14 AM
http://reg.newtek.com/register.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fDefault.aspx

Roger Harris
02-21-2012, 02:50 AM
So now that I've registered as LW 3d instead of LW Trial, I cannot re-register the same serial number? How do I get it un-registered to start again? Without phoning USA from hre in the UK that is? Will [email protected] respond to an email?
It's just bloody stupid that we have to go through this every time. People moan about Adobe etc. but Newtek must get the award for most pain in the a*** customer relations. Just do it right Newtek, it can't possibly be that hard!! Next time, when you say you're releasing it, then release it.. or just don't say. Make it a dongle free simple install (fat chance) and make it so us Europeans can just buy it and download it and not have to wait for flippin' dvd's for chrissakes... If only I could get my money back!

Yay! It's out, downloaded, registered and working! All is forgiven. What a lovely company Newtek is!!

50one
02-21-2012, 03:33 AM
Sent an email to [email protected], waiting for reply regarding the trial.

lardbros
02-21-2012, 03:44 AM
I think everyone... INCLUDING me, is registering the trial for version 9. I just did it by accident, so my key doesn't work (obviously)... and now cannot register for another trial version because I've used the trial key!! :(

Now, I have to try and get that key removed from v9 so I can try with v11. (This is my work license... I've got v11 at home, but want to show the guys here the cool stuff)

50one
02-21-2012, 02:23 PM
Ok, I'm giving up no-one @ CS gives a monkey *** bout my email sent yesterday, eh whatever.

-FP-
02-21-2012, 05:14 PM
Eh. FiberFX is a total no-go with this thing.
Not only won't it render, but it spikes the CPU to 100% if I simply try to move or rotate the befurred object. If I deactivate FF, moving objects and stuff works as expected - except for the half-minute delay when clicking CONTINUE after a render.
I don't have LW 10 for comparison of its Fibers.
Is this happening to anyone else?

WCameron
02-21-2012, 05:47 PM
customer service WILL get back to you. Kat got back to me earlier today I'm just waiting for an e-mail with a new serial.
It will possibly go faster if you include the Serial Number Lightwave generates when you run it ( the number from the splash screen ),
and the license newtek originally generated when you logged into your account.

I think the delay is a combination of the Three Day Weekend here in the US and what is apparently a widespread problem with the registration system!
I got the FF to render using the remove then reload trick but surely what renders cant be what the original intent was? thats no way to showcase anything if it is...

- Will.

jasonwestmas
02-21-2012, 07:39 PM
Eh. FiberFX is a total no-go with this thing.
Not only won't it render, but it spikes the CPU to 100% if I simply try to move or rotate the befurred object. If I deactivate FF, moving objects and stuff works as expected - except for the half-minute delay when clicking CONTINUE after a render.
I don't have LW 10 for comparison of its Fibers.
Is this happening to anyone else?

What scenes are you rendering with? Your own? The NT ones are messed up for some reason. My scenes have been working ok.

jwiede
02-22-2012, 01:30 AM
(wrong area)

lwanmtr
02-22-2012, 01:32 AM
I got fracture to work on Mac. including saving the scene, etc.

lino.grandi
02-22-2012, 01:59 AM
We're aware of a FiberFX bug that for some reason couldn't be fixed before final release (sorry about that).
At the moment if you use Edit Guides and save the scene, when you reload you got no fibers in the render.
This problem is already been fixed, and we're doing our best to get you an update of the software (which should also fix several other minor bugs) very soon.

-FP-
02-22-2012, 09:17 AM
What scenes are you rendering with? Your own? The NT ones are messed up for some reason. My scenes have been working ok.

I'm using the provided scenes. They are uncooperative. I haven't tried starting a a FiberFX scene from scratch yet.

Lino Grandi seems to have answered the question. FiberFX needs a fix. Will there be an 11.1 demo with fully functioning fibers?

50one
02-22-2012, 12:42 PM
second day gone of the trial and the CS is silent, you should change the name of that email to info, cause the customer service it ain't...

lardbros
02-22-2012, 12:55 PM
I'm using the provided scenes. They are uncooperative. I haven't tried starting a a FiberFX scene from scratch yet.

Lino Grande seems to have answered the question. FiberFX needs a fix. Will there be an 11.1 demo with fully functioning fibers?

In answer to your issue with the 'Continue' screen being up for aaaages after a render... have you tried just clicking and then moving the mouse? I found that sometimes if I click continue and leave the mouse stationary, the dialogue box never goes away! :D

stabbington
02-22-2012, 03:01 PM
I also messed up the registration, I think partly because at a glance the list appears to be alphabetically ordered.

My eyes automatically hopped to the middle, where it says Lightwave 3D, not realising the two weird anomalous Lightwave options unalphabetically sandwiched between Accesory Pack and DataLink.

I know it's not a big thing but I can see why there'd be so many excited misclicks, if those're the only two not listed in the same manner as the rest.

Going to have to wait for CS now, I suppose :(

lwanmtr
02-22-2012, 03:13 PM
Yep, thats been the #1 cause of 11 trial not working...lol

lardbros
02-22-2012, 03:15 PM
It seems crazy that CS haven't got back to me after 2 days... if I wasn't paying for LW11 at home, and already had a copy, I could have given up by now. I want the trial for work, so I can show my colleagues how cool it all is! :D

Hurry up CS! :D

colkai
02-23-2012, 03:24 AM
This is not filling me with confidence to try installing the demo. :p
I just *know* I'll end up picking the wrong gorramn option to "register", I am old after all. ;D

50one
02-23-2012, 03:31 AM
[QUOTE]This is not filling me with confidence to try installing the demo.
I just *know* I'll end up picking the wrong gorramn option to "register", I am old after all.[/QUOTE

Hehe, well to be honest I tried two times and picked the correct option from the drop down menu and after rewriting the license key(with correct key) it still doesn't work as a trail.

I strongly believe Newtek should get rid of the dongle, clean the registration website!(LW rendition is still there and other gems too), make the licensing process more straightforward cough* Look at M0d0 cough*

bobakabob
02-23-2012, 02:56 PM
This is not filling me with confidence to try installing the demo. :p
I just *know* I'll end up picking the wrong gorramn option to "register", I am old after all. ;D

Me too, this is all getting so complicated. Newtek, please have mercy. Trialling, ordering and installing software has got to be easier.

WillCameron
02-23-2012, 03:13 PM
I noticed that the double registration for Lightwave 9 was removed from my account, so possibly I could try and re-register it? I'm kinda afraid to in case I mess something else up, but yeah its been 2 days now since I sent the requested info to CS...

- Will.

lardbros
02-23-2012, 05:25 PM
I noticed that the double registration for Lightwave 9 was removed from my account, so possibly I could try and re-register it? I'm kinda afraid to in case I mess something else up, but yeah its been 2 days now since I sent the requested info to CS...

- Will.

Oh yeah, mine has been reset too... why couldn't they send me a courtesy email just to say solved... that's all I would have needed!!!

caesar
02-25-2012, 08:47 AM
CS sent me the a working serial !!!

colkai
02-25-2012, 10:03 AM
Well, shock, horror, scandal, I chose the right options for registering. :p

Seems to be a good 20 - 25% faster render than 9.6, which is quite a speed up, so I can see those who use LW for renders are going to happy with that, after all, who wouldn't be?

Got some very odd happenings with the GUI on my laptop, but i I switched from integrated to discrete graphics, they went away, so I'm guessing the new GUI does not like the Intel 3000 chipset.
Each time I selected a menu item in layout, it started 'cascading' copies of the menu inwards, but it was intermittent in it's behaviour. Fine running the discrete GeForce though.

quakebox
02-26-2012, 02:52 AM
viewport performace is slow compaired to 10.1 any idea what causes this, Graphics card is radeon,,,

WillCameron
02-26-2012, 09:50 AM
I noticed yesterday that I now have a LW11 trial serial listed on my account. Still no E-Mail about it. Its listed from the 20th, but I know it wasnt there on friday.
I hope that means I didnt just loose a week of the trial period.
Anyways off to install the license and work through the mini-tutorials in the update pdfs.
Weeeeeee!

- Will.

jasonwestmas
02-26-2012, 10:52 AM
Well, shock, horror, scandal, I chose the right options for registering. :p

Seems to be a good 20 - 25% faster render than 9.6, which is quite a speed up, so I can see those who use LW for renders are going to happy with that, after all, who wouldn't be?

Got some very odd happenings with the GUI on my laptop, but i I switched from integrated to discrete graphics, they went away, so I'm guessing the new GUI does not like the Intel 3000 chipset.
Each time I selected a menu item in layout, it started 'cascading' copies of the menu inwards, but it was intermittent in it's behaviour. Fine running the discrete GeForce though.

yeah, doesn't like my intel chipset either on my Laptop. I have to change it to 16-bit color to get LW10.1 to behave.