PDA

View Full Version : Inspiring talk by UI designer Bret Victor

Tonttu
02-15-2012, 09:32 AM
Inventing on Principle (http://vimeo.com/36579366)
Next level stuff, as always with Mr. Victor (http://worrydream.com/). It's difficult to summarize, but deals with making everything more hands-on.

kadri
02-15-2012, 01:44 PM
I did not watch the video(will later) but the other link does have so many interesting things to read. Thanks :)

BigHache
02-15-2012, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the link! I'm only 20 minutes in but it's def worth the watch.

gerry_g
02-17-2012, 06:50 AM
was going to say Newtek should be forced to remove any tool from Modeler that wasn't interactive, but then how would you model with the two that were left (ok three then)

Lewis
02-17-2012, 08:06 AM
was going to say Newtek should be forced to remove any tool from Modeler that wasn't interactive, but then how would you model with the two that were left (ok three then)

:i_agree::lol: :)

Hehe, yes there should be design principle like "STOP non-interactive tools" or "stop guess work" (like clone, array, rail clone....)

Matt
02-17-2012, 10:27 AM

Doing interactive tools, is pretty obvious to me. Unless the output of said tool takes too long for it to be interactive, then there should be a deferred mode.

gerry_g
02-17-2012, 04:21 PM
Only kidding Matt, Lightwave is improving and Eleven is the best yet but what triggered my tongue in cheek dig was one of the tools Lewis singles out in his list for luddite like non interactiveness, I was using it just the other day the 'Clone Tool'.........take a guess at the offset distance, enter a number hit ok, get wrong result, try again get wrong result, try again and again and again and again..........other programs have no difficulty managing interactivity with such a tool it's hard to see why lightwave cannot do the same.

Amurrell
02-17-2012, 06:46 PM
I have to say, that after using interactive tools, elsewhere, I miss them soooo much in LightWave.

erikals
02-20-2012, 09:29 PM
interactive tools are welcome. (both in M and L)