View Full Version : blackmagic sdi recorder thoughts

alexoliveira
02-15-2012, 06:37 AM
Any experience with this?

http://blackmagic-design.com/products/hyperdeckshuttle/

Thinking of this as my backup recorder.

PIZAZZ
02-15-2012, 07:34 AM
Price point is good at first but if you are doing long format events the media cost will eat you alive. The unit records as uncompressed avi.

Check out the Atomos and Aja KiPro instead.

Ozybigal
02-17-2012, 01:41 AM
Price point is good at first but if you are doing long format events the media cost will eat you alive. The unit records as uncompressed avi.

Check out the Atomos and Aja KiPro instead.

With a recent software upgrade the Black Magic units now can do compressed or uncompressed.

Alan Duplex
Perth, Western Australia
www.outwest.com.au

pro---studio
02-17-2012, 01:55 AM
Yes,

with V2.0 you can record in Avids DNxHD format. We have one of these Units (HyperdeckStudio) but there are some downsides:

- The recorded files are in an OpAtom MXF wrapper that is only compaitble with Avid Media Composer. Currently no other NLE can open these files.
- You cannot record SD in compressed mode
- You can only record the first 2 audio tracks embedded
- You get 3 files for each recording: video, audio1, audio2
- There are currently no timecode functions in the current firmware
- there are no analog audio in- or outputs

You get about 330 minutes of recording in 1080i50 with a 512GB SSD.

And please note that compressed recording is only possible with Hyperdeck Shuttle with hardware revision 2, which is called "Hyperdeck Shuttle 2" by Blackmagic. The 1st version cannot be updated.

Regards

pro.

csandy
02-17-2012, 06:28 AM
pro is right on the money. Here's a simple side-by-side chart I made:

http://www.savweb.com/2012/02/atomos-samurai-compared-to-blackmagic-design-hyperdeck-shuttle-2/

pro---studio
02-17-2012, 09:00 AM
Latest news from Blackmagic:

Firmware 2.5 for the Hyperdeck Studio+Shuttle adds:

-Quicktime wrapper for DNxHD recording - GREAT!!!
- RP188 timcode capture and playback support - that means timecode embedded in the HD-SDI signal.

The version 2.5 was released today.

Regards

pro.

PIZAZZ
02-17-2012, 09:06 AM
Latest news from Blackmagic:

Firmware 2.5 for the Hyperdeck Studio+Shuttle adds:

-Quicktime wrapper for DNxHD recording - GREAT!!!
- RP188 timcode capture and playback support - that means timecode embedded in the HD-SDI signal.

The version 2.5 was released today.

Regards

pro.

Well get that firmware updated and let us know how it works.

The quicktime wrapper should solve the editing with other than Avid issue. At least we can hope it does.

JPulera
02-17-2012, 01:22 PM
Atomos Samurai has a few nice benefits -

5" color screen for monitoring and playback

Does not REQUIRE expensive SSD drives, can record to 2.5" hard drives for many hours (5, 7, or 11 hours using ProRes LT, 422, or HQ on 500GB).

Records to ProRes codec which works in most current NLE software.

Included batteries good for 4.5 hours, or use larger "Sony-type" batteries or AC power for extended recording. Hot-swappable dual battery power.

Includes docking station to connect drive to Mac or PC

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Well get that firmware updated and let us know how it works.

The quicktime wrapper should solve the editing with other than Avid issue. At least we can hope it does.

alexoliveira
02-17-2012, 04:00 PM
Wow what a fountain of info. Thanks guys!

Yeusef
05-13-2012, 05:14 PM
Any new developments in regards to the updated firmware? A New Comparison Chart? My big question is can I loop out SDI? My plan for this device is really an add-on uncompressed / compressed capture for my P2 camera. I simply cannot fathom P2 card purchases! I would think that the Hyperdeck Studio would be a better option for backup recordings of the switched program, and the Shuttle would be best suited for on camera recordings.

csandy
05-14-2012, 09:08 AM
You can loop out SDI from both devices.

Yeusef
05-14-2012, 09:45 AM
I have ordered the Shuttle2 and am awaiting it's arrival. I am a little upset to find the following facts.

1. Shuttle2 does not record in ProRes.
2. You cannot change recording formats without hooking the shuttle2 up to the config software.
3. My HPX170 will not trigger the TC to start/stop without a P2card in the camera. ( i understand why, but it is still frustrating) But i am happy to see that the Shuttle 2, and others will record on TC run. Does anyone know if the P2 cameras transmit S/S data over SDI? That way i would not have to rely on the TC to run.

I really feel that BMD's marketing department is borderline deceptive in their wording of features. It was VERY hard to find the actual recording formats of the different devices and ProRes was the EXACT reason i am buying the Shuttle2. I think that they need to tighten up their practices about making feature lists more clear and less "broad brush". $0.02

csandy
05-14-2012, 09:56 AM
Sorry Yeusef. I thought my chart, above, was pretty clear. If you wanted a native prores recorder, the Hyperdeck Shuttle 2 was not the way to go. I'm sure other, better resources than mine would have shown you the same information.

Yeusef
05-14-2012, 10:12 AM
Sorry Yeusef. I thought my chart, above, was pretty clear. If you wanted a native prores recorder, the Hyperdeck Shuttle 2 was not the way to go. I'm sure other, better resources than mine would have shown you the same information.

It was, I suck. Apparently i cannot read anything. Yours or theirs. Sometimes my attention span is shorter then the hair on my shaved head. Honestly i thought your chart did not represent the new software/hardware release. But looking back it is also clear in that regard as well.

My wife tells me i cannot find ANYTHING in fridge, maybe that translates to product specs as well...

Thanks.

Lee-AVP
05-22-2012, 10:41 AM
I'm having trouble calculating recording times in various resolutions and compression schemes.

We are placing a big BMD order for some other stuff, and I'm trying to decide if the shuttles and studio would be a good addition. Uncompressed is going to be totally worthless to us, as we are an event company, not a film studio.

But I can't really figure out, say, how long I can record if I feed it with a 720p30 SDI. For example.

csandy
05-22-2012, 10:53 AM
Hi Lee,

When are you coming up North? Anywho, if you have an iOS device, you really need to download the AJA DataCalc app. It's free and you'll thank me for it.

Colin

Lee-AVP
05-22-2012, 11:48 AM
Figures. As I was walking out the door this morning, I thought to myself, "I have no meetings. I won't need my iPad at work today, no reason to go upstairs and find it. Worst case, my laptop is in my office."

Thanks, though. I will play with it tonight!

For what it's worth, I'm leaning towards the Atomos. I had an order ready to go with two shuttles and a Hyperdeck Studio, but the incremental cost of the hard drives is killing me. I also really like being able to use the Atomos as a test monitor.

Trying to kill a few birds - bring the cost of media down below P2 cards, and have a nice backup recording for the Tricaster and the BMD TV studio I'm buying.

Dollars per minute of recording, the SSDs aren't giving me enough margin over top of the P2 cards.

csandy
05-22-2012, 02:24 PM
I've been very happy with the Samurai. The peripherals, not so much.... The core product is solid though.

Lee-AVP
05-23-2012, 01:00 PM
For what it's worth to others, here is how I decided on the Samurai. I think.

I took a requirement for a long-format event. Say, an all-day conference with iMag. We do a good number of these. 8 hours would be pushing it, especially without a break, but, in terms of peace of mind, excess capacity, and redundancy in spare drives if it came down to it, I settled on an 8 hour recording time at 1080p30.

The HyperDeck Shuttle and Studio can both record DNxHD as well as some flavors of ProRes. I went with DNxHD 220 as my comparison.

For either machine, I would need two 400gb hard drives. Blackmagic Design recomends the 500gb Samsung 830, so, for apples to apples, I have specified a pair of 500gb drives.

BMD HyperDeck Studio with 2 Samsung SSD Drives: ~ $2,400.00

BMD HyperDeck Shuttle with 2 Samsung SSD Drives: $1,745.00

Atomos Samurai with 2 $80 laptop drives: $1,680.00

For comparison, I also looked at P2 cards. To get 8 hours of 1080p30 on our HPX170, I need:

Eight 64gb cards. Call it $600 each, or $4800.

So. Any of the above beats loading P2 cards on the back of the camera on price, plus - full frame HD, instead of the HPX's somewhat goofy widescreen pixels.

I won't be buying any more P2 cards. And, given my eight hour requirement, the Samurai beats both BMD products on price, and it kills the Shuttle on features, with the exception of being able to work as a HDMI/SDI cross converter. But I've got $300 boxes for that.

If BMD would let me put magnetic drives in their boxes, understanding that I could not use them to record uncompressed, they would win hands down.

'Till then, it's a Samurai for me. Possibly two.

Yeusef
05-23-2012, 02:32 PM
The HyperDeck Shuttle and Studio can both record DNxHD as well as some flavors of ProRes. I went with DNxHD 220 as my comparison.

Oh Contrare... The Shuttle (2) does not yet support Pro Res, only DNxHD. I was a little peaved at this and have since thrown the thing in the corner as i wait for Pro Res. I can record longer on a 32GB card and my Canon 5dmk2 than i can with a HPX170 and 240GB of SSD.....

Lee-AVP
05-23-2012, 02:40 PM
Oh Contrare... The Shuttle (2) does not yet support Pro Res, only DNxHD. I was a little peaved at this and have since thrown the thing in the corner as i wait for Pro Res. I can record longer on a 32GB card and my Canon 5dmk2 than i can with a HPX170 and 240GB of SSD.....

You're right. Only the Studio does Prores.

Yeusef
05-23-2012, 03:25 PM
It really would be good if BMD would spell out the different capabilities of the different models. Using the AJA calc recommended above i can see that there are 5 flavors of ProRes ranging from 96.2GB to 672.3GB for a 4 hour recording of 720p60. It would be good to have MORE of a definition of WHICH ProRes.

Thanks CSandy

Yeusef
05-24-2012, 08:00 PM
Received notification today of BMD updates. Plugged in my HyperDeck Shuttle and Wha-La! it needed an update. Here is to hoping that more Codec's would be supported....

NOPE! No new Codecs. Just throwing that out there to keep the thread updated.

~Rob

Matt Drabick
05-25-2012, 06:11 AM
Lee, you purchased some Adobe software from me last fall . . . I can also sell you Blackmagic and Atomos products as well as NewTek . . . please let me know if you need a quote for anything.

Matt Drabick,
DigiTek Systems
Raleigh, NC
919 790 5488

csandy
05-30-2012, 05:03 PM
Thanks CSandy

My pleasure.

ProjectTechFM
07-26-2012, 07:28 AM
This for the tip Colin