PDA

View Full Version : Render Farm Lightwave General

HolyMonkey-
02-15-2012, 03:22 AM
The question is between rendering on CPU, and GPU. Does LW have native support for rendering with GPU? Is it in future versions perhaps? Idealliy we would lika a render farm for distributed rendering. Initial hardware would be eg. 4 nodes, with four gtx 580 each.

Any other relevant information around LW and renderfarm is greatly appreciated.

Regards

Lewis
02-15-2012, 06:03 AM
NO, LW renders only with CPU.

dwburman
02-19-2012, 04:20 PM
Yeah, At this point, you would be wasting your money putting graphics cards in. I don't know if there are plans for GPU rendering in the future or not. At this point, it'd be a total waste to spend all that money on graphics cards. Even if a GPU renderer is developed for LightWave at some point (either by NT or a 3rd Party), you'd be better off waiting until something is released before purchasing GPUs.

JonW
02-19-2012, 05:22 PM
You can take out all the graphics cards on your render nodes if you are using remote desktop or similar to turn off boxes. Just have a spare GC to set up the nodes. Or if you feel inclined to have a GC in each node for what ever reason. Use the cheapest & more importantly the lowest power consumption GC possible, no point wasting electricity, it's only coming out of you pocket!

Attached: an old picture most of you have seen.

JonW
02-19-2012, 07:56 PM
Pricing your nodes. Add up the cost of the whole box including OS, then divide the total cost by the number of GHz.

Workstations usually work out more economical with a more expensive CPU because the box is stuffed full of SSDs, ram, high end graphic card/s etc.

Render nodes usually get a better price per GHz with a cheaper CPU because you don't need all the above. You can also remove the DVD when finished. Some just clone the HD for each new box so you don't even need a DVD.

So you really need the cheapest case you can find, a modest power supply, not the smallest, but no point going overboard.

Enough ram to run 2 Lightwave nodes (2 of your typical maximum scenes) per box (only one LW Screamernet node per box will typically be running at 80-90% CPU usage. 2 LW nodes about 99%). You do not want to start using virtual ram.

Small hard drive.

Motherboard may have onboard graphics, if not you may have an old GC lying around to set up each box, & same goes for a DVD.

The one thing I would spent a bit on money on is the heatsink. If you are lucky enough to have a separate air-conditioned & sound proofed computer room (well ventilated basement) then it's not an issue. But most of us have the computers in the same room. My farm fired up pumps out 2.5Kw of heat, in summer you don't want all the fans screaming! So a few extra $ on a tower heatsink is worth the peace & quiet.

I would forget about a MB for GC upgrading. By the time LW is ready, your render farm like mine will be due to be thrown into quarry at the bottom of the farm!

HolyMonkey-
02-19-2012, 11:30 PM
Pricing your nodes. Add up the cost of the whole box including OS, then divide the total cost by the number of GHz.

Workstations usually work out more economical with a more expensive CPU because the box is stuffed full of SSDs, ram, high end graphic card/s etc.

Render nodes usually get a better price per GHz with a cheaper CPU because you don't need all the above. You can also remove the DVD when finished. Some just clone the HD for each new box so you don't even need a DVD.

So you really need the cheapest case you can find, a modest power supply, not the smallest, but no point going overboard.

Enough ram to run 2 Lightwave nodes (2 of your typical maximum scenes) per box (only one LW Screamernet node per box will typically be running at 80-90% CPU usage. 2 LW nodes about 99%). You do not want to start using virtual ram.

Small hard drive.

Motherboard may have onboard graphics, if not you may have an old GC lying around to set up each box, & same goes for a DVD.

The one thing I would spent a bit on money on is the heatsink. If you are lucky enough to have a separate air-conditioned & sound proofed computer room (well ventilated basement) then it's not an issue. But most of us have the computers in the same room. My farm fired up pumps out 2.5Kw of heat, in summer you don't want all the fans screaming! So a few extra $ on a tower heatsink is worth the peace & quiet.

I would forget about a MB for GC upgrading. By the time LW is ready, your render farm like mine will be due to be thrown into quarry at the bottom of the farm!

Thank you! Great advice, that goes for you all. Cheerio!