PDA

View Full Version : How to stream to two flash servers at the same time

dcmarc
02-13-2012, 03:58 PM
I'd like to send streams to Ustream and YouTube simultaneously. I'd like to not tie up two tricasters, or a tricaster and another encoding device to do so. Anyone know of a way to create a streaming profile that can serve an encode to two servers and two stream ids? I assume it would involve hacking the streamingconnections.sessions xml file or similar. I have a 300, 800 and 850 I can work with, so a solution that works on any of these systems is fine. :Tricaster

vanderwielen
02-13-2012, 07:23 PM
Two separate computers or encoders...no way around it. though youre the first wanting to publish to two separate services. good luck.

PIZAZZ
02-14-2012, 08:30 AM
Rick is right. Easiest way is to use two encoders/tricasters.

There is another way but it takes a bit more work on the server side. Our Wowza server can be setup to extract and repeat a stream. This is definitely not for the faint of heart. There is a tremendous amount of try and retry to get it to work. Short and simple unless you are a coder or want to hire one, just use 2 encoders.

SantiagoVa
02-14-2012, 09:26 AM
I was able to stream to both my Watershed and uStream accounts simultaneously on my 300 since version 3. I have since cancelled my Watershed so I cannot test with version 4, but I was able to do it, repeatedly. I mentioned this in a previous post wondering if it was a feature or a fluke. Nonetheless, it WAS possible.

PIZAZZ
02-14-2012, 10:14 PM
You do know that watershed and ustream are the same company. Same servers.

SantiagoVa
02-14-2012, 10:19 PM
Same servers, yes. Different accounts. Different settings.

dcmarc
02-15-2012, 10:31 AM
I can do it with one machine using Wirecast software. It doesn't care how many encodes or servers you do simultaneously, as long as your machine has the horsepower. I can do Flash and WM at the same time to different places. I would think if the Tricaster has the power to ISO record incoming feeds while encoding, it could create two flash streams and direct them different places without breaking a sweat. I could have sworn I read on the forum someone doing it on an XD300 by adding a second server into a config file, (like a backup server), but perhaps it required both servers to use the same stream name and that wouldn't be the case here: two servers, to different stream IDs. The power has to be there, it would just need to be opened as an option in the interface. I'll probably just borrow a Mac with Wirecast, but I had really hoped I'd be able to do this with all my Tricasters so I could reach both large audience bases. Extra gear is the bane of my existence.

PIZAZZ
02-15-2012, 10:34 AM
I would prefer not to have all my eggs in one basket. If it is for fun that is one thing, but if the stream gets you paid.... that is another thing entirely.

I used an old Broadcast box with a BlackMagic SDI card and WireCast as an encoder. I had to choke down the 720p stream from 1500kbps to 1000kbps in order for the CPU not to max out.

I am eyeing a couple mac mini's with thunderbolt capture devices as backup encoders. Small compact and still powerful at least according to the specs.

NachoJimenez
02-16-2012, 10:12 AM
I've done it several times, using a wowza server as a repeater to youtube and akamai, but it should work with Ustream too

You'll need a bit of programming skills but it takes 5minutes to any experienced java programmer.

dcmarc
02-28-2012, 11:04 AM
This is what I was looking for. Now I have to go test it. I can't believe it took so long to find the old post.

"It turns out that there is a bit of a trick to this. Here's how I got this to work:

1) Launch tricaster.
2) Choose a Flash streaming profile / add in primary stream and stream name.
3) Save.
4) Exit to desktop.
5) Open the .xml file corresponding to the streaming profile that you chose using Notepad (right click, open with, notepad).
6) Scroll down to <output>
7) Look for <rtmp>
8) If any of the following is missing from inside the <rtmp> tags, add it:
<url>rtmp://YOURPRIMARYURL</url>
<backup_url>rtmp://YOURBACKUPURL</backup_url>
<stream>YOURSTREAMNAME</stream>
9) Save & Relaunch.
10) Inside your session, just press Stream without launching the config.

That's how I got it to successfully stream to a primary and backup. Your results may vary. Good luck!"

TakeOneDigital
04-11-2012, 02:25 PM
This is so cool, and a great idea... BUT what if my <backup url> requires a <stream> tag, too? Like, say, if I'm going to Watershed and UStream at the same time and both? Any ideas would be awesome. This is a great workaround.