PDA

View Full Version : New Computer Build - 3 very short questions

Lude
10-20-2003, 03:34 AM
Hi guys, Iím going to put together a new Lightwave machine for my self.

A Duel xeon 2.4 with 1Gb of ram but I have a couple of questions.

Processor
Is the xeon still the best PC based processor to go for? A simple yes or no will do, I donít think we need another huge thread about all the details of processors. If itís a no, Iíll start reading up more to find out why.

Ram
Will 1GB suffice?

Graphics Card
Should I get the fastest I can, say a radion 9800 pro (I know thereís faster but they cost big money) with 128Mb or go for a slightly slower radion 9600 but with 256Mb? I think more memory will help more with large scenes than the extra speed.

Thatís about it.
Lude.

prospector
10-20-2003, 12:35 PM
Yes
Yes
Look into Nvidia cards more,Some problems with ATI
Try the FX5200-256meg ram or the 5900.

InsomniacZx
10-20-2003, 09:29 PM
Im runnin a dual Xeon 1.7 dell with a 1gb of RDRAM and a 64MB quadro 2 pro Nvidia graphics card, and I can't complain. my render times are only 2 times longer then that of a new dual 2Ghz G5 Mac, and I brought it over 2 years ago.

When I say 2 times slower, we're talkin about 96sec to render lightwaves new skull radiosty scene to my 180 sec with 4 multithread and 512MB of memory allocated. It runs only a few seconds faster with 8 multithread.

I love my Xeons.. sux that my RDRAM costs an arm and a leg to upgrade... like a grand for a GB stick. It would cost me $4000 to just max out my ram for my computer... sux. but I still love my machine... runs faster and better then any mac any of my friends own :)