PDA

View Full Version : Boot problems

Javier
10-20-2003, 03:32 AM
Hi all,
since I installed VT2 in my computer I have almost always to reset when it starts up. First boot always hangs at the very first step (no information from the bios is displayed on screen). Then I do a reset and this second time starts OK. Looks like VT2 is not recognized or whatever. Any hardware configuration tip? Any special BIOS config?

I have a dual AMD Thyan tiger MP, the first model (not the MPX).
Windows XP Pro.

Once it starts I have no problem at all with VT.

Thanks.

Dan Hong
10-20-2003, 09:27 AM
The Tyan Tiger and Thunder boards almost always require a reset to start them up the first time, don't know why. They seem to work like a champ after that.

Javier
10-20-2003, 10:27 AM
Thanks for replying,
I guess you are talking about Tyan with VTs, because before I installed VT this board worked alright. There are some options in the BIOS for the PCI boards, but I'm a complete ignorant about them :P

Regards.

djlithium
10-20-2003, 10:19 PM
What you are looking for in those BIOS's for those boars is the PCI Latency. It should be set to 32 or slightly higher.

This allows any peripheral devices more time during boot to "do there thang" before the system posts.

To my knowledge the VT card needs a second or two to "check itself" before reporting back to the system its ready to go before the post happens. On these machines the post comes up so fast it doesn't have time to do this and the card disappears from the system completely until you do a soft reset.