PDA

View Full Version : Layer tool for saving layer name?

daforum
02-12-2012, 03:30 PM
:help:
Just wondering if there is a tool for saving an object layer as a single object, that will retain the layer name?

When I do it, it saves the layer as an object but no layer name is included in the layer list.

Thanks.

daforum
02-14-2012, 03:17 AM
I can save an object with lots of layers and each object has it's own layer name, but when I "save layer as object" the layer name isn't there when I load the new object in.

Anyone have a solution?

nickdigital
02-14-2012, 10:48 AM
Are you using a plug-in or lscript to save your layer as a separate object? If it's an uncompiled lscript someone might be able to modify it.

daforum
02-14-2012, 03:35 PM
Hi Nick,
I'm using the "savelayerasobject.ls" script in the model folder that comes with LW.

It would be very cool if someone could modify it, as I don't know how to.

daforum
02-14-2012, 03:53 PM
I think I may have found a script
http://www.svenart.de/lscripts.htm (at the bottom of the list is "Layers2objects")

This may work but I'll have to test tomorrow.

nickdigital
02-14-2012, 04:12 PM
I think I may have found a script
http://www.svenart.de/lscripts.htm (at the bottom of the list is "Layers2objects")

This may work but I'll have to test tomorrow.

Hm, this lscript errors out for me.

nickdigital
02-14-2012, 06:00 PM
Hi Nick,
I'm using the "savelayerasobject.ls" script in the model folder that comes with LW.

It would be very cool if someone could modify it, as I don't know how to.

See if this does what you want.

daforum
02-15-2012, 02:13 PM
I had a chance to try your script this evening and it works great!
Thank you so much for making it :)

I have no idea why the one that comes with LW doesn't do such a straight forward thing as save the layer name with the object.

Making my own scripts to share is something I would like to learn how to do some day so I can help you (and others) out if you need a script.

Thank you nick.

gte881s
02-21-2012, 12:38 PM
I also found the "savelayerasobject+.txt" to be extremely helpful, but for a different application. All I wanted was to be able to resolve out the layer name; I never thought of using a Mesh constructor.

I think a general repository of lscripts and plugins (working or not) would be an asset for the LW community so that we might learn by example instead of struggling with absence of coherent documentation.

evenflcw
02-21-2012, 01:03 PM
I never thought of using a Mesh constructor. ... struggling with absence of coherent documentation.

Are you even aware that there are two pdfs covering lscript provided by Newtek? Are you aware of Mike Greens lscript reference online? ( http://www.mikegreen.name/Lscript/Lscript%20Index.html - more than 90% of the content is straight out of Newteks pdfs! )?

How do you think he figured out to get the layername from the mesh object agent? He read it in the docs! They are both present and coherent. In what way have you found them to be incoherent? I really get annoyed when people diz the lscript docs (the two pdfs). I learned lscript just fine from them and use them as reference (mainly through Mikes site) every time. And if you need examples all you have to do is google for lscripts!

PS. It's good that you mentioned that you learned from the example though! Such stuff is always good to read.